PDA

View Full Version : Texting question

abunaitoo
07-26-2017, 02:49 PM
Don't have one of those dumb/smart phones.
My cell phone is a phone.
Question is.....
When they say "text only", if I send a email, will they get it?????

Omega
07-26-2017, 02:54 PM
Yes, sort of: http://mashable.com/2014/06/16/text-from-laptop/#OEbYKZ02LPq5 and there are programs to send text over the net. : http://www.androidauthority.com/apps-send-text-sms-pc-ways-740669/

Grmps
07-26-2017, 02:59 PM
You don't need a "dumb/smart phone" to text, most of the stick and flip phones have that capability.
Yes, You can send an e-mail to "text" cell phone but you need to know their service provider.
Like if they have verizon, you would email to the phone number @vtext. com (##########@vtext. com)

DerekP Houston
07-26-2017, 03:08 PM
Here's an easy way for emailing to a cell number and has most of the providers defaults:

Just substitute a 10-digit cell number for 'number' for each carrier below:
AT&T: number@txt.att.net.
T-Mobile: number@tmomail.net)
Verizon: number@vtext.com (text-only), number@vzwpix (text + photo)
Sprint: number@messaging.sprintpcs.com or number@pm.sprint.com.
Virgin Mobile: number@vmobl.com.

Edit: Lol looks like I was too slow on the draw! They beat me to it above, the downside is you have to know which provider they are using.

RogerDat
07-26-2017, 03:18 PM
Even so called "dumb" flip phones can text. You press number keys to cycle to the letter. So W is pressing 9 once, X is pressing 9 twice, Y is pressing 9 three times, and Z is pressing it 4 times, then back around to W. Don't recall if the #9 is the first press which means all of mine are one short OR the last press.

Lot of the slang abbreviations in texting came about because texting via number pad was slower. BRB vs Be Right Back saved a lot of tapping.

Plans on older phones may not cover texting in large quantities (unlimited for example) or may not support texting at all but many plans do include a small number of texts, with additional being at an added cost.

mold maker
07-26-2017, 03:45 PM
I'll just tap the address # and talk to them, or leave a message. That takes 3 taps only. Old school, even on modern technology, is still simpler.

abunaitoo
07-28-2017, 03:28 PM
My cell phone is not even a flip phone.
Those came out after I got my phone.
Talk about old school.