View Full Version : MEC Charge Bar?

joatmon
07-29-2008, 09:42 PM
How well does the universal charge bar work in the mec 600? I would
rather not have to buy a drawer full of bars and bushings if I can
avoid it. Thanks Aaron

chrisx1
07-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Dad had a 650 Jr. when I was growing up. Had a desk drawer full of bushings and bars. Never could find the bushing you were looking for when you needed it.

I now have 3 MEC presses, all with universal charge bars. I'm with you on the "I don't need any extra stuff" opinion.
When setting up I put only the shot bottle on, and throw charges until I have them right. Then I take off the shot bottle, and put on the powder bottle, do the same thing - throw charges and adjust until I get what I what I want. Then, I start putting hulls through.

Works like a charm, and if you need to adjust the shot charge to get the crimp to work right, just turn the knob.

I would not use a MEC press now unless it had a universal charge bar in it.

Chris

joatmon
07-29-2008, 11:12 PM
Thanks, sounds like I'll start looking! Aaron

shotman
07-30-2008, 12:32 AM
that 600 takes a type C bar and get the baffle rick

joatmon
07-30-2008, 02:10 AM
Mine is a Pre 82 I found on the MEC site, Still the type C bar? When I bought it about
79 or 80 I bought the 12ga press and dies for 16,20 and 410 now I wish I'd got
28 also (they cost 24.00 aset then ).

crowbeaner
07-30-2008, 05:53 PM
I have a Sizemaster with the adjustable bar, and I consider it to be the uber single stage Mec because the collet sizes the brass for my Ithaca and A5. I have a bunch of bars and bushings also, and I just use what I have. If I need a charge that the bushings don't throw such as a max. charge for use in slug loads, I throw the charge with my Uniflow. It slows me down a bit, but I like the ultimate in consistency in my heavy loads.

waydownsouth
08-01-2008, 05:17 AM
Spot on advice chris

The universal charge bar will cost a lot less than the powder bushes and various shot bars

I have two mec 600 jr presses .12ga and .410 and only one universal charge bar that moves between the two
the advantage is you can change from a lite trap load to a heavy field load with out changing charge bars and bushes

Patrick L
08-01-2008, 08:33 AM
I don't want to start any arguments here, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

I own one UCB, and I put it away! I don't do a lot of experimenting, I've pretty much settled on one or two loads for each gauge, and stick to them and load them in quantity. And I load all 5 gauges (12,16,20,28,and .410, not 10! )on progressive MEC presses.

A fixed bar and a fixed bushing ain't gonna move, period. It can't get knocked out of adjustment. You don't have to calibrate and check it each time you change a setting. I take a certain comfort in that fact. It's not like I've had it happen a lot, but it did once or twice. I don't like the fact that it can. I like simplicity reliability in my reloading. Fixed cavities don't change.

That said, it is handy if you want to try a new powder or load or something, but once I find the recipe that works I get the fixed bushing that delivers it and never look back.

chrisx1
08-01-2008, 10:53 PM
You have a good point there Patrick, simplicity does have it's benefits. This is something to consider and you have me thinking about my 12ga machine that does nothing but load trap loads. The 20ga machine is the one that I'm always tinkering with and changing around.

I'm sure we've got ol' Aaron good and confused by now!

Chris

joatmon
08-03-2008, 09:17 PM
No, not confused just broke! I've been looking at the prices and decided the UCB will
have to wait awhile. Wish I had of bought alot more powder bushings or the UCB
years ago. My #31 throughs 16.6grs red dot and my #36 throughs 20.2grs red dot
and I really want 17.5/18gr. Now where's my pop can shim! Aaron

Flinchrock
08-03-2008, 09:37 PM
How well does the universal charge bar work in the mec 600? I would
rather not have to buy a drawer full of bars and bushings if I can
avoid it. Thanks Aaron

Been using one for 30 years,,,works fine for me!!