PDA

View Full Version : Rcbs Mold Handles Question

Hipshot
07-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Before I buy a pair/set of mold handles for the RCBS molds that I want to buy I would like to know if the LYMAN or LEE handles that I have would work with the RCBS blocks?

Thanx in advance !
Hipshot

Heavy lead
07-29-2008, 08:18 PM
I use lee handles for the rcbs and lyman. They'll fit right into the lyman, but you have to grind them slightly thinner for the rcbs, but they work fine for me, and much cheaper too.

bobv
07-29-2008, 08:46 PM
I also use the Lee handles on my RCBS and Lyman molds
Bob

Le Loup Solitaire
07-29-2008, 11:16 PM
The last price I saw for a set of Lee mold handles was $12-$13 in the Midsouth catalogue. Both RCBS and Saeco were over $32. The difference is just totally ridiculous. I have 3 sets of Lee handles and they have been successfully modified by careful filing and/or redrilling of holes to accomodate retaining pins from various other mold blocks of different size and manufacture. It all works just fine and you don't have to be the victim of glorified rip-off and subtle advertising claims. The only thing that might happen with the lee handles...as well as with other brands...is that sometimes the wood loosens up a bit with the heat. If so, just drop one or two flat toothpicks into the handle hole and tap it back on the tang with a mallet to jam fit things tight again. So save some of your $$$ and enjoy your molds/casting. LLS

Hipshot
07-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Thanx for the info guys! I have one set of LEE's and 4 or 5 LYMAN !

Hell before I bought a set of LEE handles I would order a mold and get the handles thrown in for another $5-6.00 !

Hip

454PB
07-30-2008, 10:05 PM
A good fix for loose wood on Lee handles is a few drops of JB Weld in the holes.

DLCTEX
07-30-2008, 10:46 PM
I fixed several cracked sets of Lee and Lyman handles with polyurethane glue (Gorilla glue) . Dampen the wood with water before applying glue as water is the catalyst for hardening. Use sparingly, as it foams and will fill voids. Don't get it on your hands or you will wear it for days. It holds up to heat very well. DALE