PDA

View Full Version : Can I use a collet bullet puller for 45 SWC or do I need that hammer thing?

Harry Tobin
07-23-2017, 05:50 PM
I figured that might draw a few of you in. Well me being me I like a challenge, picked up a used RCBS collet puller and started playing around with it. Wanted to see if I could pull SWC with it, takes a little time and patience. So anyway this is how I did it, I just put this video out. Hope some of you give it a try
Harry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3g06ooNE38

David2011
07-23-2017, 07:53 PM
You need the "hammer thing," an inertia puller. On a lot of cast boolits there's nothing to grab with a collet puller. I have managed to pull a few but quickly went back to what works every time.

Tom W.
07-23-2017, 07:53 PM
All I have is the hammer thing. I put an ear plug in it to protect the bullet tips.

slim1836
07-23-2017, 07:56 PM
All I have is the hammer thing. I put an ear plug in it to protect the bullet tips.

Thanks for the tip.

Slim

crackers
07-23-2017, 08:19 PM
Yea thanks. I think it's my 45 225 that wedges solid in the end.

OS OK
07-23-2017, 09:18 PM
This exercise will teach you very quickly to check all the parameters on a progressive press...several times over! OCD kinda checking!

In my 'glee' of making rounds quickly and pumping that handle...there have been times when all I really did was to screw up and make a lot of rounds I had to disassemble....gotta love a progressive press!

Thank you for all the time and effort in the video!

c h a r l i e

runfiverun
07-24-2017, 01:40 AM
I just bought a 45 acp revolver, it was easier.

buckshotshoey
07-24-2017, 05:37 AM
I just bought a 45 acp revolver, it was easier.
Good one! Can always count on you for the common sense "hidden in plain sight' answer! Lol

Wayne Smith
07-24-2017, 07:23 AM
For the short rounds, a short piece of PVC pipe over your press ram and a pair of channel locks or other big pliers will do the trick. Typically have to re-cast the boolits cause you gotta dig in hard. Another use for a single stage press.

bedbugbilly
07-24-2017, 07:50 AM
Good videos Harrt! As they say - "Where there's a will, there's a way!". Enjoyed the videos and you "solution" to getting your boolits pulled. Thanks for sharing!

Duster340
07-24-2017, 08:10 AM
I've used my RCBS to pull lead SWCs from my 44 mag. No fuss no muss.

rintinglen
07-24-2017, 04:09 PM
Nothing like 227 rounds of .357 loaded with HP 38 that you thought was H-110 to alter your opinion of how good you were doing. That was a lot of Kinetic pulling.

Bzcraig
07-24-2017, 11:44 PM
Some boolit profiles are more difficult than others but I have been able to pull all I have tried so far.

Larry Gibson
07-25-2017, 11:54 AM
I gave up on the collet puller and the whack a thon puller for 45 ACP a long time ago. I got a RCBS #3 extended shell holder. With no die in the press it pushed the 45 ACP up far enough to get ahold of the bullet with side cutters. The pulling up on the press handle pulls the bullet.

Harry Tobin
07-25-2017, 06:33 PM
Yes the Impact Bullet Pullers do work, but sometimes with a progressive press we can make a lot of mistakes fast. As in the 9mm for me, as far as the 45 SWC I just wanted to see if it could be done and it can. If I have to pull any reject bullets now and I have the collect for it, that is what I’ll use. A little work now will save a lot of time later, I want to share this with anyone inclined to try it to show it could be done. So if anyone tries it and makes it work then I did good. Oh I don’t mind the jokes either. But do have a few more ideas in my head. Hey we all make mistakes and have a problem with something from time to time. So I’ll just keep on doing stuff and if I think it may help I’ll put it out.

Harry