PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse

quilbilly
07-20-2017, 05:20 PM
Just curious who all might be traveling to see the full solar eclipse next month. I am going to the Central Oregon mountains to see it while camping a few days. The trick will be to avoid the main highways into places like Madras, Oregon because they will be 100-mile long parking lots. People in that area told us a month ago that some of the farmers have plowed under some alfalfa fields near Madras to rent them out to campers for the eclipse and have made hundreds of thousands of $ which is a lot more than the alfalfa would have been worth. It is a once in a lifetime experience and I want to see and hear how the wildlife will react.

wgr
07-20-2017, 05:37 PM
I'm gong to southern mo. and camp

CHeatermk3
07-20-2017, 05:46 PM
"....plowed under some alfalfa fields near Madras to rent them out to campers for the eclipse and have made hundreds of thousands of $ which is a lot more than the alfalfa would have been worth."

Plus all the $$ saved in electricity costs of running irrigation pivots!

Hope everyone has a good and profitable time I will be watching from a chair on my deck assumung of course that it don't rain that day...

Omega
07-20-2017, 06:03 PM
I'm right in the line of total eclipse so just about anywhere outside the city lights will do. Depending on weather, I may just go out to my hunting area and experience it from there.

blackthorn
07-20-2017, 06:44 PM
Why would they plow the alfalfa under? All it needed is to be cut, then, after this brief event irrigating the fields would likely get it going again. Or am I missing something?

runfiverun
07-20-2017, 09:55 PM
I dunno.
people are acting like retards over this whole thing.
rooms in a town nobody outside of Idaho has ever heard of are going for $285 a night.
they are normally about 55$
I'll probably drive up near Jackson hole or Island Park and have lunch, check out the whole thing, then come home.

StolzerandSons
07-20-2017, 10:23 PM
I live right on the edge of the southern path limit so I think I will just grab one of my old hoods with a shade 14 in it and watch it from the yard if it's not to hot.

jimlj
07-20-2017, 10:56 PM
I live about 3 hours drive from the path of total eclipse. I saw a news blurb a few months ago and thought I was on the leading edge of this thing and would get a room in Rexburg Id or Riverton Wy. No such luck. No room in either town for less than $1200 including bed bugs. I'll watch the weather and drive north a few hours.

quilbilly
07-20-2017, 11:19 PM
The lady who owns a motel in Burns, Ore. where we stay going to and from NCBS said her place has been booked for over a year even though Burns is almost 50 miles south of totality for the eclipse. She is holding her regular prices (very good people and we like their place a lot so if you happen to be passing through, it is called the Horseshoe Inn) but other motels in Burns are up to over $400/night. She said nearly all the visitors are from Europe and Asia.

waksupi
07-21-2017, 12:31 AM
It won't be full in my location, but I plan on fishing while it is going on, to see if it affects the bite.

dragon813gt
07-21-2017, 01:50 AM
I'm one that couldn't care less about it. Was previously scheduled to be in Oregon but now I'm not. And I'm glad I'm not. Would have made rental car and hotel a complete pain.

sawinredneck
07-21-2017, 02:51 AM
I dunno.
people are acting like retards over this whole thing.
rooms in a town nobody outside of Idaho has ever heard of are going for $285 a night.
they are normally about 55$
I'll probably drive up near Jackson hole or Island Park and have lunch, check out the whole thing, then come home.

Man I love your perspective and insight! Just cuts right through the bs and makes a point! That is so refreshing!

corbinace
07-21-2017, 03:00 AM
I have been planning on it for a while. I am planning a bit different view though.

I live about 85 Bonanza minutes north of the centerline. My plan is to fly to the centerline and turn easterly directly into the sun and then at the appropriate time eclipse.

The morning sun should be right in the middle of the windscreen and my wife can look at it from there. I will have my Rosen visor down and it should be no different than any other flight directly into the sunrise or set.

My interest is in seeing the shadow cross across the Oregon desert.

We will be at 17,500 feet and I believe I should be able to see both sides of the path of totality, as it will be less than 70 miles wide.

Another sight should be a bit of fancy coloring around the edges of the horizon where it is light against the darkness.

When it gets all done, I just turn north and be back home in time to go to work at my normal 1430.

That is the plan anyway. I hope that I am not wasting the only total eclipse that I will likely see, on this hair brained plan. Wish us luck.

Cowboy_Dan
07-21-2017, 06:42 AM
I'll get a fairly full one at home, there is another in 2024 that will be an hour's drive East for actual totality, so I'll drive out to see that one. Of course I'm still young enough to expect to see 2024.

Hickory
07-21-2017, 07:07 AM
I saw a total eclipse once, it's about as exciting as watching the neighbor mow his grass.

rockrat
07-21-2017, 10:29 AM
I plan on driving to my sisters in Ft. Collins, CO and that morning, trying to make it to Glendo, Wy in time to see it.

I like the idea of "corbinace" and trying to see the entire width of the eclipse, but the other half doesn't enjoy flying much.

RU shooter
07-21-2017, 10:46 AM
I saw a total eclipse once, it's about as exciting as watching the neighbor mow his grass.
I'll second that ! My neighbor is a pretty good lookin gal too ! Lol And if I do wanna see it there will be about 3 million videos on the internet of it happening

rwadley
07-21-2017, 11:00 AM
Nashville is in the path. I think I may take off work due to traffic.

Daveco
07-21-2017, 12:21 PM
I live in Western Ky which just happens to be right in the path. My Wife, Daughter, and Granddaughter and I (possibly the son too) are planning on building a small fire in the front yard to roast marshmallows over during the big event. We've heard stories about how crazy expensive some rooms are going for around here for that date, and there was a news story a while back about people renting out their spare bedrooms for some extra cash. It'll be neat, but I wouldn't travel any to see it either. And no, my hobby room isn't for rent..... hmmmm... that would pay for a lot of supplies though! :idea::-D

easy ed
07-21-2017, 01:07 PM
Its a big deal here.

Total Solar Eclipse
August 21, 2017
Dannebrog Quick facts:
Dannebrog is a village in Howard County, Nebraska, U.S.A. It is part of the Grand Island, Nebraska Micropolitan Statistical Area.
Population 352
Zip code:68831
Many Hotels within 30 miles
Many RV Parking sites
Bathroom Facilities
Only 20 miles from
The Central Nebraska Regional Airport
You can get here from there!
2017 Nebraska Sesquicentennial official Event
Why View the Eclipse in
Dannebrog...
Very Secure Small Town Atmosphere
High prospects of CLEAR SKIES
LONG DURATION of total eclipse
Great ACCESSIBILITY and MOBILITY
close ACCOMMODATIONS
DIVERSE weekend of ACTIVITIES
Great FAMILY location
47 acre ECLIPSE VIEWING AREA.
Dannebrog Nebraska
Your perfect eclipse viewing location
CELEBRATIONTOTAL SOLAR ECLIPSE
STAND IN THE SHADOW
OF THE MOON IN
DANNEBROG NEBRASKA
Where Cultures Connect
AUGUST 17-21 2017
Get in touch with us...
www.dannebrognebraska.org
www.facebook.com/dannebrogeclipse
www.facebook.com/dannebrogne
Email - dannebrognews@gmail.com

1911sw45
07-21-2017, 01:30 PM
Myself I can't wait for it to be over. I am also in western KY right in the path of it. Hear traffic and the people are going to be bad. I am only 24 miles from Hopkinsville KY. Hear the main road from my town to Hopkinsville. Will be clogged with traffic. It's only 2 miles from my home. It's going to be a nightmare.

quilbilly
07-21-2017, 01:32 PM
Corbinace - The eclipse seems to follow the spine of the mountains parallel to Hwy 26 in Oregon so seeing it cross the desert might be tough unless you head over to the Boise/Twin Falls area. I will be camping on a meadow right on the mountain ridge near a spring to watch wildlife (also a famous rock hounding area for agate, jasper, and opal to occupy my waiting for the event). My understanding is that the shadow moves at 1200 mph.
Waksupi - I expect a full report on the bite!! Hope it is like the bite during an afternoon thunderstorm. Good luck!

shdwlkr
07-21-2017, 04:11 PM
I plan on watching it on the internet and tv less of idiot people to deal with that way. Might go outside and watch the grass grow while the real thing is happening. funny part is what if it is cloudy and you can't see it

RogerDat
07-21-2017, 04:45 PM
I'm getting a two-fer. Going down to Tenn. around Knoxville to see one of the kids. Will only have about an hour and a half drive south to be in them middle of the totality. Well that drive time is for "normal" traffic. I figure we better be up and on the road by about 7:30 am We are going to a park, going to have a picnic, take turns looking through my welders shield, I may try to take some pictures.

Going to park the camper at their house so no real cost there. It may be nothing super spectacular but I saw a partial one as a kid and it was fun, and some of the fun is just in taking part in something a little special with a bunch of other people. Otherwise why bother to ever go to a live sporting event? Except for the shared excitement and experience you can see the "game" better online or on TV.

That reminds me I'll have to hope my mobile hot spot has good signal, might be able to watch online as it progresses across country.

Smoke4320
07-21-2017, 05:09 PM
Shoot every time I go to Walmart I see 1 or 2 eclipse's, a litany of moon craters and all types of critters

Handloader109
07-21-2017, 05:24 PM
Well, I watched one when I was a little critter and it was a NOTHING event. You will damage your EYES if you stare at the sun for any length of time, even with the full eclipse. So, the only safe way to do it is a pinhole viewer or maybe a good welder's glass. Which is just slightly worse than watching the thing on 4K TV. I'm about a hundred and fifty miles from totality, somewhere about 93% so I figger that if the sun is shining, (very good possibility in August here) I might go out and take a peek and see what the critters think about it. Maybe even drink a beer to celebrate the sun returning. Will be early afternoon, so I guess that's ok. No dang way would I travel ANY distance for it, and You Gotta be an IDIOT to pay big $ for a hotel room. But I guess those guys in cali have to spend their $ on something.

HMMM, looked at a map, and saw there is one in 2024 that will be almost directly over my house. Guess I can rent out may pasture too! NOT!

rwadley
07-21-2017, 09:08 PM
Well, I watched one when I was a little critter and it was a NOTHING event. You will damage your EYES if you stare at the sun for any length of time, even with the full eclipse. So, the only safe way to do it is a pinhole viewer or maybe a good welder's glass. Which is just slightly worse than watching the thing on 4K TV. I'm about a hundred and fifty miles from totality, somewhere about 93% so I figger that if the sun is shining, (very good possibility in August here) I might go out and take a peek and see what the critters think about it. Maybe even drink a beer to celebrate the sun returning. Will be early afternoon, so I guess that's ok. No dang way would I travel ANY distance for it, and You Gotta be an IDIOT to pay big $ for a hotel room. But I guess those guys in cali have to spend their $ on something.

HMMM, looked at a map, and saw there is one in 2024 that will be almost directly over my house. Guess I can rent out may pasture too! NOT!

It is perfectly safe to look at the sun during a TOTAL eclipse with your bare eyes (but not a bare telescope). You need special equipment for a PARTIAL eclipse, though.

Elkins45
07-22-2017, 03:33 PM
It is perfectly safe to look at the sun during a TOTAL eclipse with your bare eyes (but not a bare telescope). You need special equipment for a PARTIAL eclipse, though.

I'm not sure that's true, depending on the intensity of the corona...and it would certainly only apply at the two minutes of totality. One the moon starts moving away it's a retina fryer.

I'm kinda at the other end of the state from the path of totality. It would actually be closer for me to just drive south into central TN than to western KY. Hopkinsville is the point of maximum totality so it's hard to imagine the army of invaders clogging every parking lot and highway median.

rwadley
07-22-2017, 04:40 PM
I'm not sure that's true, depending on the intensity of the corona...and it would certainly only apply at the two minutes of totality. One the moon starts moving away it's a retina fryer.

I'm kinda at the other end of the state from the path of totality. It would actually be closer for me to just drive south into central TN than to western KY. Hopkinsville is the point of maximum totality so it's hard to imagine the army of invaders clogging every parking lot and highway median.

I was only referring to the 2 minutes of totality.

See the second FAQ here: https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/faq

popper
07-24-2017, 01:35 PM
Seen several, another isn't very interesting. Here is a good site for those interested in that stuff. Spaceweather.com

Finster101
07-24-2017, 10:48 PM
Rekon' I'll be working, like most days.

shooterg
07-25-2017, 10:59 AM
You guys with family/kids - please buy a bunch of the cheap "eclipse eyeglasses" (even some Made in USA !) for couple bucks each(they're just cardboard and polymer) off the ole interweb and DO NOT let the little ones look up without "em at any time or place where the eclipse is not total.
Even though you can look without pain at a partial, the eye damage can be permanent.
Bought a bunch from American Paper Optics for my family.