PDA

View Full Version : Cast bullet reloading for the SKS? Any special problems?

44minimum
07-29-2008, 01:33 PM
I've got a Norinco SKS on the way, my first. Seems that buying bullets to reload it presents an economic hazard. Do these rifles like reloads with cast Boolits? Does it present a problem for the Gas System or is there anything else I need to know before I try this? With lead bullets, can I get the velocity anywhere close to 2400 feet per second using gas checks?

TAWILDCATT
07-29-2008, 02:35 PM
you can load to sks specs,as some load 06 to 2500 ore more.it wont bother the gas port contrary to some.as to load most have enuf factory so they dont load I must try some time as I have dies molds and powder.:coffee:

Navahojoe
07-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Check out the CB Loads/Military Rifles page on this Forum. "Practical Dope on the SKS" It will answer a lot of questions for you.
regards,
NavahJoe

DLCTEX
07-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Most important issue probably is slugging the bore as there seem to be wide variations in bores. Use a boolit 1 or 2 thou. over bore size and you don't have to use gas checks for good results. DALE

44minimum
07-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Slugging the bore pops up again and again on answers to questions asked by ignorant folks like me. Seems like that is the most critical thing to do and use a bullet slightly over size with plenty of lube and you will get decent results. I guess I will have to start pounding some led balls down some barrels and see what measurements I can come up with. Thanks for the input dudes.

Ben Dover
07-30-2008, 03:06 PM
While you can load to military equivalent in the SKS it may be more fun to not go that far. You can also remove the gas piston if you dont want to chase the brass. You need to keep all the Boxer brass you have. C E Harris has written extensively in the ''Foulng Shot'' on casting for the SKS. It helps any time you shoot the SKS to clean the piston and tube of powder residue. Dont oil it more than a wipe ; you dont want a diesel. Ben