PDA

View Full Version : Death warmed over....

TexasGrunt
07-16-2017, 05:49 PM
I've acquired some sort of skin infection on my chest and right thigh. Went to see the doctor on Thursday and got started on some antibiotics. Both sites are larger than they were on Thursday and I've been feeling like death warmed over this weekend. I'm going to call the doc tomorrow and see if we can't figure out what's going on. Today I'm feeling weak as a kitten.

It sucks to get old.

On a good note my buddy dropped off the Star Lubrisizer yesterday along with some dies. I'll need to get some flat top punches for it before I can use it though.

Der Gebirgsjager
07-16-2017, 06:32 PM
Had a similar problem a year ago. Dr. prescribed minocycline. Took about three weeks to notice a difference. After a couple of months the side effects kicked in and I took myself off of it, but it had done the job. Anyway, it usually takes awhile for antibiotics to build up in your system to an effective level, so don't give up.

jsizemore
07-16-2017, 07:01 PM
On a good note my buddy dropped off the Star Lubrisizer yesterday along with some dies. I'll need to get some flat top punches for it before I can use it though.

You can pack a nose style punch with JB Weld or Acraglass to use on the base.

lightman
07-16-2017, 07:01 PM
You have had more than your share of problems this year. Hoping you get on top of this soon. That Star Sizer should provide some boost for you. Take Care.

buckwheatpaul
07-16-2017, 07:47 PM
TexasGrunt, I am sorry that you are feeling bad...but a little early Christmas, or perhaps birthday present went a long way to make you feel better....Hope that Monday the doctor can solve your illness brother! Paul

shoot-n-lead
07-16-2017, 08:31 PM
Hope you get to feeling better...prayer sent.

beechbum444
07-16-2017, 11:28 PM
I saw this post and read it once or twice. I almost did not chime in. I know that I'm a random post under a screen name. I don't know you and you do not know me. However, Please, please, please and I stress please, DO NOT..DO NOT..DO NOT...put off seeing your physician tomorrow. As men, we tend to procrastinate.. it's in our nature for what ever reason.

PS. I have to admit that its the culture on this forum to "Do the right thing" that made me post this cryptic but direct message.

Bzcraig
07-17-2017, 12:17 AM
Hope you get to feeling better...prayer sent.

Indeed!!!

mold maker
07-17-2017, 07:48 AM
Infections are dangerous to anybody, but especially those with the age factor. The sooner the correct treatment, the sooner the healing can begin.
Being MACHO only gets us a step closer to the end. My wife spent two months in Wake Forrest, and 12 operations because of an unrecognized infection.

TexasGrunt
07-17-2017, 10:08 AM

You can pack a nose style punch with JB Weld or Acraglass to use on the base.

I don't want to screw up the punches that came with the Star as it's on "indefinite" loan status right now.

Thanks everyone. The infection sites are actually looking a bit better this morning. I took the pictures and sent them to my doctor. I'm waiting to hear back from her.

Another silly thing popped up yesterday, I've had two bouts of Meniere's in the past few years and it seems I'm enjoying a third bout right now. I've got hearing loss and tinnitus all the time, but the vertigo is back. I feel like I'm going to fall over sitting here in the chair and I can tell my eyes are skittering back and forth too. I was brushing my teeth before bed last night and almost fell over. I had to have my wife hold me up.

I was smart enough to mention this to my doctor, perhaps it's related to the infection.

sparky45
07-17-2017, 10:24 AM
Gods speed Grunt. Remember the SKIN is the largest organ of the human body and as such will constantly require our attention. Skin infections are nothing to "sneeze" about.

I know of what I speak; cause I'm an old Navy Corpsman. (64-68)

smoked turkey
07-17-2017, 11:42 AM
TexasGrunt I can't speak about the infection, other than to say along with the others, that yes you need (NEED) to get to your doctor and turn that around because it could be too much for your system to handle.
I can speak to the vertigo and the ringing in the ears along with hearing loss: I experience the dizziness ever so often from severe vertigo. I can tell when it is coming on and I do a short series of exercises that my therapist put me on and it helps get me past the early symptoms. It is a series of lay downs on the living room couch in my case with my head tilted toward the ceiling at about 45 degrees for 30 seconds followed by set up straight and look straight forward for 30 seconds: then repeat on the other side same times. I do this 5 complete times for a total of 10 minutes per session. I do not recall what the exercise is called but it works for me. Might or might not be good for you. Take care and get well soon.
Stan

SSGOldfart
07-17-2017, 07:02 PM
[QUOTE=TexasGrunt;4101864]I've acquired some sort of skin infection on my chest and right thigh. Went to see the doctor on Thursday and got started on some antibiotics. Both sites are larger than they were on Thursday and I've been feeling like death warmed over this weekend. I'm going to call the doc tomorrow and see if we can't figure out what's going on. Today I'm feeling weak as

Sir I see your a veteran in Texas has you been to the VA Hospital in Houston in the last 6months to a year? I've picked up Jungle rot under my left arm and on the left side. My doctor in Lufkin thinks it's from a week I spent as a in patient this past March.
Last time I've had it was in Vietnam. Good luck don't wait have it checked.

Semper-fi

TexasGrunt
07-20-2017, 05:09 PM
[QUOTE=TexasGrunt;4101864]I've acquired some sort of skin infection on my chest and right thigh. Went to see the doctor on Thursday and got started on some antibiotics. Both sites are larger than they were on Thursday and I've been feeling like death warmed over this weekend. I'm going to call the doc tomorrow and see if we can't figure out what's going on. Today I'm feeling weak as

Sir I see your a veteran in Texas has you been to the VA Hospital in Houston in the last 6months to a year? I've picked up Jungle rot under my left arm and on the left side. My doctor in Lufkin thinks it's from a week I spent as a in patient this past March.
Last time I've had it was in Vietnam. Good luck don't wait have it checked.

Semper-fi

Nah, I use the Dallas hospital. It's closer.

I ended up in the emergency room Monday evening. Got admitted and just got home about 1430 today. They filled me with drugs and sent me home with more. The infections seem to be under control. The worst part is for some reason I couldn't get a phone signal in my room and I refuse to use public wifi.

My little Dude was sure happy to see me come home. He's been stuck to me like glue since I walked in the door and let him out of his house.

lightman
07-20-2017, 05:17 PM
Thats good news! Hope you're on top of it now. Welcome Back!

buckwheatpaul
07-20-2017, 06:27 PM
TexasGrunt....glad you are doing better but be sure to finish your regiment of meds and do what the doctors say....Pray you continue to improve and get better....Paul

MaryB
07-21-2017, 12:25 AM
Take care and don't ignore an infection! I spent a night in the ER last fall, I have bad circulation in my left leg so infections crop up now and then. I went from feeling fine at noon to a 105 fever at 5pm, called a friend for a trip to the ER and after being pumped full of antibiotics the fever broke. All from a fly bite on my leg!

lightload
07-21-2017, 07:54 PM
You might ask your doctor if your sheets or such can re-infect you.

MaryB
07-22-2017, 12:20 AM
They can and I wash them very often with bleach. But with bad circulation any scratch can get infected easily. I use a silver bearing gel(SilvaGel is the brand) on scratches to prevent it as much as possible.

Grmps
07-22-2017, 03:01 AM
+1 on MaryB. Your body is still recovering from the "plumbing" work and possible antibiotics from that. Taking a lot of meds weakens your immune system. you need to baby yourself until everything "evens out" again

TexasGrunt
07-22-2017, 10:46 AM
I'm taking two showers a day with a special soap, clean clothes each time as well as a clean towel. Clean sheets every day for five days.

My wife says I'm a lot of work. I have to agree with her.

lightload
07-24-2017, 07:18 PM
If it has to continue, your wife may take you out side, hose you down, and let you line dry.:kidding:

TexasGrunt
07-25-2017, 10:29 AM
We're all done with the nonsense. I've got 10 more days of antibiotics to take. The area on my chest is all cleared up but the leg is a little behind. I talked with my doctor yesterday and she said take 10 more days of the horse pills.

I also finally convinced Urology to rewrite my prescription for disposable pull ups. They sent what was supposed to be a 90 day supply and it only lasted 46 days. I'm burning through at least six a day. Pharmacy refused to do a refill till the first of September. I almost felt like going to the VAMC and hosing down the floor in the pharmacy area and let them know I need that prescription refilled.

MaryB
07-25-2017, 09:48 PM
Tmi! Lol

Grmps
07-29-2017, 04:03 AM
If your wife thought you were to much work she wouldn't still be there, sounds like she's a keeper.