PDA

View Full Version : What Is A Good .45 ACP Mold?

trickg
07-28-2008, 08:25 PM
Hey guys - I'm finishing up my birthday order tonight which consists of another set of dies and some tumbling equipment, but I'll soon be out of purchased bullets so I'm looking for recommendations for a good .45 ACP mold.

I'm mostly looking for a good target bullet, so something around a 200 gr SWC would be good, but I'm not sure which one to get. I had always wanted to follow in Dad's footsteps, but he had almost all Lyman molds, which are a bit more costly. I've looked at Lee Molds and they have a couple of 200 grain molds - the 200 grain SWC and the 200 grain FN. I like the looks of the FN, and while two of the reviews say it works great for their 1911s, another says that this particular bullet likes to jam because the meplat is too wide. Does anyone have any experience with this?

While the ultimate goal is to go for Lyman molds, I think I want to start with some Lee equipment first, mainly because I can get into an ENTIRE Lee casting setup for about the cost of the mold and handles if I go with Lyman.

So, all thoughts and experiences regarding the matter are most welcome! :)

ANeat
07-28-2008, 08:29 PM
The Lee 200gr SWC that looks like a bevel based H&G 68 (the one with a single lube groove)is a good bullet feeding and accuracy wise.

BruceB
07-28-2008, 08:50 PM
My whole handloading "career" began in '67 with the .45 ACP, and I began bullet-casting right along with it, from a frying pan on the kitchen stove..

I borrowed a single-cavity Lyman 452374 (230 RN) mould from a friend, and sized each one by driving it through the sizing chamber of a 310 hand-tool....this is NOT a recommended routine for Bullseye shooters, which I was just starting out to be.

I "advanced" to a special-order 4-cavity 452389, a button-nosed 185 semi-wadcutter. I could not have made a worse choice. Let's draw a merciful curtain...

When common-sense sank in, I used the 452460 200 SWC for many years, and in Lyman designs for mid-weight bullets, this is about as good as it gets. Highly recommended! However, as my competition days receded into the dusty past, I found that for general-purpose .45ACP loads for *ME*, nothing beats that old GI-duplicate 374 round nose. Therefore, I sold off all the other .45ACP moulds and bought a 4-cavity 452374. Casts easily, functions beautifully, shoots to the sights of 98% of all the pistols out there, is extremely accurate, and it even LOOKS right.

The Lees will certainly work, but in my shop they're usually used for purposes which don't require a whole lot of bullets. I've never even SEEN a Lee 6-cavity, let alone used one, so have no opinion to offer. I don't like the shape of the Lee 230 RN.

An iron mould will last about forever, given due care and attention, and I prefer them for my use. My 4-cav Lymans easily run 800-plus bullets per hour without strain, but then, my Lee 2-cavs easily do 400-plus, so you're not giving up much on a per-cavity rate.

I guess it comes down to preference. Lee moulds have certainly started legions of handloaders down the casting road, and I'll admit there are some in my assemblage that give better results in a given application than any other.

Still, I do prefer iron.....but I also DO have to order a new Lee 2-cavity .338-220, because no other design yet found shoots like this one does in my rifles. That covers quite a few moulds, too.

How's this for a clear answer/opinion?!?!?!?!? Not much help, I'm afraid.

trickg
07-28-2008, 08:53 PM
The Lee 200gr SWC that looks like a bevel based H&G 68 (the one with a single lube groove)is a good bullet feeding and accuracy wise.
I have reloaded nearly 500 bullets from a design that looks VERY similar, but was cast on industrial casting equipment and you are right - it is nice and accurate. I was at the range shooting some handloads yesterday and my targets were pretty much one big raggedy hole, and either I'm getting to be a better shot (possible - I've done a fair amount of shooting lately) or the ammo is pretty accurate. I'm putting it on top of 4.7 grains of Bullseye.

Does that bullet work well with LLA?

Bruce, Dad's favorite .45 ACP target load is the .45 SWC Lyman design you described. If it's as good as you say, it might be in my best interest to go ahead and splurge the extra $50-$60 it's going to cost me to get that one rather than a Lee. It was my first choice, but I'm trying to keep the mama happy too, you know? ;)

docone31
07-28-2008, 08:58 PM
I use the Lee 200 grainer you mentioned. I loaded 400rds., and went to the range.
One hang up.
It hits hard, and the pattern was real close. I fired it in my Combat Commander, and PT1911.
I am going to cast more.
I like that mold. I find it is the easiest mold to use out of all I have. I mean simple.
I use Blue Dot, and water quench.
I really like that mold.

MtGun44
07-28-2008, 09:36 PM
H&G 68 is top notch. Lym 452460 is the most accurate in my Dan Wesson PTman7,
but the Kimber and Gold Cup prefer the 68. I have heard that some have
had problems with feeding with the Lee 'kinda like' 68 facimile, nose length and
diam are different. Best accy is typically 3.5 gr Bullseye or Titegroup under either
of these two bullets.

Original mil barrels will need throating to avoid hanging up the flat SWC step
against the side square edges of the bbl either side of the tiny mil feed ramp.

Bill

DLCTEX
07-28-2008, 09:55 PM
My Lee 200 gr. SWC dc mold has cast thousands of good boolits for me and was bought used. I have found that any feed problems I have encountered were due to weak loads, a weak recoil spring, or from seating the boolit too deep. With these corrected I almost never have feeding issues. My son had problems with my target loads, but he had a much stronger spring, and had no problems with higher pressure loads. Lee molds generally need to have a little cleaning of burrs and to be run hotter to cast and drop boolits well, but the price makes them attractive to the budget minded shooter. The molds I bought a few years ago will bring more if sold now than I paid for them. A lot of Lee molds sold on Ebay this year sell higher than Midway or Midsouth prices, most Lyman and RCBS do not IMHO and they come with handles(Lee). If you want to test some of the Lee 190 SWC, 200 SWC, or 230 RN boolits before buying, PM me and I'll send some samples. DALE

Heavy lead
07-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Does anyone run this in the 1911, I don't cast for the 45 acp yet and I want to. This looks like it will feed well and has a flat base.
Anybody use it out there?

ANeat
07-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Here is the Lee SWC next to a H&G.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h165/aneat/Lead/68.jpg

Heavy Lead the Lee RN is a good bullet. Ive shot a lot of them but eventually went to the Lyman so all my 45 bullet would have a single lube groove.

Here is a Group buy Lyman "copy" a Lyman and the Lee bullet together.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h165/aneat/Lead/45RN.jpg

HeavyMetal
07-28-2008, 10:46 PM
The nice thing about Lee's is the 2 cav molds are cheap!

What I have done in the past is buy the boolit mold I was interested in in a 2 cav and tried them out. If they didn't work I'm out minimal cash if they do work I buy two 6 bangers and get to work!

I will second the notion that a few samples, donated by kind site members, might go a ways to help you decide what you want to buy.

I have a Saeco 130 SWC mold, 185 grain wadcutter, and would be more than happy to send you a handful of those to try out if you'd like. I do not have a RN 45 boolit right now but might someday if the group by gets done!

It sounds like Dale has you covered on the other designs so no need to double up.

PM me an addy if you'd like a small sample.

shotman
07-28-2008, 11:36 PM
guys i have used about all that they make the lee 90463 TL is what i use now i use a hard lead and load with 5 gr titegroup that is a little hot but have not had a feed or ejection problem THey shoot good in colt --kimber--taruras --sig they dont do well in a glock at that load ,but they cast good and lube nice

DLCTEX
07-29-2008, 09:38 AM
Yes to 1911, Is there something else?

sundog
07-29-2008, 10:06 AM
I kinda like the Lee 200-RF. I've not had any feed or function issues in 1911s. The 6-banger puts out a pile of boolits in short order.

trickg
07-29-2008, 12:12 PM
I kinda like the Lee 200-RF. I've not had any feed or function issues in 1911s. The 6-banger puts out a pile of boolits in short order.
I have not had a single feed issue with the bullets I ordered from Meister bullets which appear to the H&G 68s. I don't believe that was the case with the rounds I had sporting the Lyman SWC, but to be honest, I think that was before I realized I had a bum magazine that was giving me feed problems. Since I eliminated that magazine from my regular usage, I have not had a problem.

dromia
07-29-2008, 01:25 PM
I've cast and shot many different boolits through 1911s and the only one I stuck with over the years was the Lyman 452630, that boolit and my Cold Cup was a match made in heaven. :-D

trickg
07-29-2008, 01:43 PM
I've cast and shot many different boolits through 1911s and the only one I stuck with over the years was the Lyman 452630, that boolit and my Cold Cup was a match made in heaven. :-D
That looks like another really nice boolit - I didn't realize that Lyman made two different 200 gr SWCs.

35remington
07-29-2008, 06:58 PM
If you had to bet on a more reliable load, it helps to cater to bullets that produce an overall length in the range the 1911 was meant to function with. Generally, that's over 1.2 inches, and OAL's shorter than that often require early release magazines. This the other shorter SWC will require as it produces a non standard length. This is the reason bullseye shooters originally modified their magazines to feed non standard bullets. Arguably, 1911 reliability is compromised a little bit in so doing. There's no free lunch.

There's a reason the HG #68 is popular - it duplicates the OAL and feed profile the 1911 is optimized for while supplying the SWC shape.

I have no doubt the short 200 SWC cowboy type bullet (the alternate Lee bullet with the big flat) works in many 1911's, but I must point out it wasn't designed for it - it's a cowboy action bullet.

Best bet? Something close to the original HG 68 design. As close as possible.

870TC
07-29-2008, 08:36 PM
Me and my shooting partner both have the Lee tumble lube(micro band) 200 swc molds. The bullet is very accurate in every gun we have tried it in. But not all guns will feed it, as it must be seated short in order for it to chamber. I would certainly buy a Lee mold again, just not this design bullet.

NSP64
07-29-2008, 11:15 PM
I use the Lee 200 SWC and tumble lube with LLA. Took 1st place at military pistol match 7/6/08 with a 396/450.5.2gr unique:drinks:

Lloyd Smale
07-30-2008, 06:56 AM
alot of 45acp molds have come and gone here but my all time favorite has allways been the 452460 lyman and in second place would be the H&G68. the lee copys of those two bullets allways shot well but not quite as good as the originals.

Cherokee
07-30-2008, 01:27 PM
H&G68 or Lyman 452460. I also use a lot of 230 gr TC design

cbrick
07-30-2008, 03:45 PM
I use two bullets in my 1911, the Lee 4 cavity 230 gr TCBB and SAECO 068 200 gr SWCBB 6 cavity. Both are accurate in my gun and neither have ever had any kind of feeding problem. I shoot more 068 than anything simply because of how well the SAECO mould drops 6 perfect bullets fill after fill after fill.

Rick

ANeat
07-30-2008, 04:30 PM
I use two bullets in my 1911, the Lee 4 cavity 230 gr TCBB and SAECO 068 200 gr SWCBB 6 cavity. Both are accurate in my gun and neither have ever had any kind of feeding problem. I shoot more 068 than anything simply because of how well the SAECO mould drops 6 perfect bullets fill after fill after fill.

Rick

Rick do you mean Lee 6 cavity and Saeco 4 cavity??

cbrick
07-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Ooops, yes, it is the Lee 6 cavity (NOT 4) but it is also the SAECO in 6 (six) cavity 068.

Sorry.

Rick

ANeat
07-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Nice; didnt know Saeco did 6 cavity molds, I wish RCBS would do 4 cavity ones, or Lyman do 6 cavities.

I have a Saeco 130 (4 cavity) that drops a real purdy bullet...

cbrick
07-30-2008, 05:40 PM
The SAECO I'm sure was a special order. I have about 50-55 moulds and It's also one of the best mould purchases I've made.

The handloading store at our range had it for sale used (in absolutely brand new condition) complete with handles for $175.00. He showed it to me and I told him nope, don't need it but I'll give you $50.00 for it. He declined but every time I went in he would show it to me and I would say $50.00 and he'd say no. This went on for 6-8 months and then one day I walked in and he said . . . got $50.00 on ya?

It had some type of grease dried on it but it cleaned up fine and is an awesome casting mould that I got basically for the price of the handles.

Rick

ANeat
07-30-2008, 07:17 PM
$50.00, thats some real fortitude there[smilie=1:

trickg
07-31-2008, 01:19 PM
Dad never used any 4 or 6 cavity molds - either they weren't available prior to his passing 11 years ago, or he just never saw the need. Or it could be that he didn't want to spend the money for the bigger molds and chose instead to take his time casting - I'm pretty certain that it was something he enjoyed doing.

I'm leaning toward the Lyman molds at the moment - one thing at a time though. I just bought a case tumbler and all accessories needed to clean cases, and in order to keep the missus happy, I should probably wait another month or so before jumping neck deep into the casting pot. ;)

Meatco1
07-31-2008, 04:17 PM
For the .45 ACP, I believe the Lee RF design with a bullet wt. somewhere between 225 – 230 gr., would be a very effective design.

Adding 25 -30 grains to this 200 gr RF Lee design, would certainly make it a stopper for sure.

Has anyone ran a group buy for something like this?

I've have used the 200 gr H & G 68 200 gr to to kill boar in the central valley of Calif, and although it did get (finally) the job done, (you might need a close tree to climb), it does leave a bit to be desired. (wasn't hunting, just managed to get to close without either of us knowing the other was there)

Thanks,

Richard

870TC
07-31-2008, 11:44 PM
Meatco1, RCBS has a 45 bullet that looks like what your talking about. There was a article in the last Handloader by Mike Venturino (sp?). Article was about casting for autoloaders.

Meatco1
08-01-2008, 01:10 AM
Hello 870:

I wasn't aware anyone was making a mold as I described it.

I will check out RCBS tonight.

Thank you,

Richard

Horace
08-01-2008, 08:45 AM
Working with RCBS (82308 BULLET MOULD .45-230-CM 637) works great through the unaltered Series 70 Colt 1911.Still working on the Load.

Horace

wiljen
08-01-2008, 09:08 AM
For the .45 ACP, I believe the Lee RF design with a bullet wt. somewhere between 225 – 230 gr., would be a very effective design.

Adding 25 -30 grains to this 200 gr RF Lee design, would certainly make it a stopper for sure.

I've have used the 200 gr H & G 68 200 gr to to kill boar in the central valley of Calif, and although it did get (finally) the job done, (you might need a close tree to climb), it does leave a bit to be desired. (wasn't hunting, just managed to get to close without either of us knowing the other was there)

Thanks,

Richard

The BD45 Group buy mold is also pretty close to what you describe - big meplat 230gr RNFP.

trickg
08-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Question - where does one find Hensley & Gibbs molds? I'm looking around for them online but I can manage to find are references on forums.

cbrick
08-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Hensley & Gibbs haven't been made for a few decades, if you can find used ones someplace they are an excellent, high quality mould. I have one that I found at a gun show several years ago.

Rick

trickg
08-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Did anyone take over the H&G line? It would appear that the Saeco 68 is very similar (if not identical) to the H&G 68, which seems to be one of the two standards for the .45 caliber 200 gr SWC. (The other being the Lyman 452460)

cbrick
08-01-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm not sure, others are more up on the history of moulds and mould companies than I am. I think the 068 was/is such a successful boolit that many mould makers have and/or do make it. If my memory is not completely gone it was originally a H&G design.

Here is the SAECO example of the 200 gr. SWCBB number 068.

http://www.lasc.us/DSCN1500-3.jpg

Hope this helps some.

Rick

trickg
08-01-2008, 11:53 AM
I know that the Lee is very similar to the 68 design, but it's not the same. Saeco molds aren't terribly over-priced - it sticks in my mind that Saecol molds can be had in the $90 range from suppliers like Midway USA and Cabela's - I'll have to look it up.

I bought another 500 .45 ACP 200 gr SWC cast and lubed yesterday that were made by a Virginia company called Proofmark - those should hold me until I can get together a casting setup complete with molds, pots/furnace, etc, but they are virtually identical to the bullets I got from from Meister bullets, which are from what I can tell the 68 design. Whatever the case, my .45 ACP likes them, shoots them with no feed problems and they seem to be pretty accurate - more accurate than I am anyway.

ANeat
08-01-2008, 01:46 PM
Question - where does one find Hensley & Gibbs molds? I'm looking around for them online but I can manage to find are references on forums.

Ballisti-Cast are making the full H&G line of molds plus others. They are the ones that bought the H&G stuff. They make very very nice molds.

http://www.ballisti-cast.com/

Last year I needed an H&G 68 that was built for softer alloy and they made one for me, less than 2 weeks.

Here is another I recently bought. Its a 842, formerly H&G 242. Ballisticast adds 600 to the old H&G number so a 68 is now 668 etc.

This is how it looked out of the box

http://www.glockpost.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=228

http://www.glockpost.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=231

OBXPilgrim
08-01-2008, 06:20 PM

That Lee 200 gr RF boolit is a good one just as it is for 45 acp - I've shot several of them. I've seated them short of the seating groove & with the groove down in the case. Seated out, it just seems too long. Seated in, I barely covered the groove, but kind of wished it didn't have the groove.

But...if the groove were filled in, and it had a larger lube groove to make the weight the same - I'd probably have to slug I'd shoot more than any others.

Meatco1
08-02-2008, 12:27 PM
Right now, I'm using the Lyman 452460, which is an excellent target round, but after my brush with that boar, I'm convinced the Lee RF design with a bullet wt. somewhere between 225 – 230 gr would be a much better stopper.

I did go to both the Lee & RCBS sites, but found nither company makes a heavy bullet with the large meplat I'm looking for.

I think Mt Molds might be my answer.

Thanks,

Richard

Dutchman
08-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Yes to 1911, Is there something else?

Yes, there's something else besides the 1911.. A lot more something else's.

Smith & Wesson Brazilian Navy Modelo 1937 2nd Model Hand Ejector caliber .45 acp & .45 AutoRim. It shows a preference for HG68 which really pisses me off as I prefer heavier slugs... and I have a bunch of these 230 gr RN laying around.

http://images25.fotki.com/v956/photos/2/28344/5239868/rrr10-vi.jpg

http://images25.fotki.com/v956/photos/2/28344/5239868/rrr11-vi.jpg

http://images28.fotki.com/v964/photos/2/28344/5239868/rrr01-vi.jpg

http://images28.fotki.com/v976/photos/2/28344/5239868/rrr08-vi.jpg

http://images25.fotki.com/v956/photos/2/28344/5239868/rrr05-vi.jpg

In practical use as a belt gun or CCW or trail gun the 230gr RN is just fine as you're not going to be punching paper. Where I live it'll be a mountain lion or some 2 legged goober. In the Colt Gov't Model I prefer function over form so I'll shoot what feeds best and that's usually the round nose 230 grain.

Dutch

870TC
08-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Meatco1, The RCBS 45-230-CM won't work?. I know its listed as a cowboy bullet but Ventureno(sp?) said he loads it in his 45 autos.

Meatco1
08-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Hello 870:

After seeing the way that Boar absorbed all those 200 gr. SWC, I would be a lot more comfortable using a big meplat heavy bullet.

Rick is hollowpointing a 452374 for me, and it will be a fine defense round, but I'm sure that would flatten before penetrating the shield on pigs.

I just now looked at the RCBS 45-230-CM, and it does look pretty close to what I’ve searching for. I guess I always thought it was for a .45 LC.

Thanks,

Richard

crabo
08-06-2008, 10:14 PM
I'm not sure, others are more up on the history of moulds and mould companies than I am. I think the 068 was/is such a successful boolit that many mould makers have and/or do make it. If my memory is not completely gone it was originally a H&G design.

Here is the SAECO example of the 200 gr. SWCBB number 068.

http://www.lasc.us/DSCN1500-3.jpg

Hope this helps some.

Rick

Here are pictures of the H&G 68 plain base on the left and the Saeco 69 plain base on the right. The H&G has a wider base band and deeper lube groove than the Saeco. The Saeco has 2 bands that are equally split with the lube groove.

H&G uses the number 68 for both plain based and bevel based molds. It also uses 68 for the 185 swc. Saeco uses 68 for the bevel based mold.

The edges on the Saeco swc nose are a little sharper than the H&G.

Which one shoots the best? I don't know. I haven't shot any of the H&G yet, but have a bucket of them lubed ready to load. I have shoot thousands of the Saeco and am quite happy with the way they shoot and feed. I have run a bunch of them through 6 different 1911s that are mine and my friends. Never a problem.

They don't run through a Glock, but haven't tried to diagnose that problem yet.

I would need to test the two boolits to see if one has an advantage over the other. Right now I have more pressing projects than the 45 acp test.

Hope this helps someone,

colbyjack
08-06-2008, 10:26 PM
all i use for the .45 is the H&G #68 best boolit in my 1911 and my 625 revo. run 4.3 of clays behind it. 835 fps average, make major for IPSC and i run BAC lube. very good, i also use it for PPC and bullseye. -chris

catboat
08-15-2008, 10:42 PM
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/840601935/m/7161077231

Some interesting comments on the above link.

Dale53
08-15-2008, 11:40 PM
I doubt that I'll be doing any pig hunting, but if I were, and were limited to the .45 Revolver (love those .45 revolvers) I would load the Lyman 452644 or 452424 and GO HUNTING! I guarantee you that no pig will stop either of those slugs at 900-1000 fps.

FWIW

Dale53

specops
08-28-2008, 07:26 AM
Crabo,

Try the Lee 230TC boolits in your Glock. The Glocks need more surface area for the poly rifling to grip. I shoot either the TL or single groove design in my Glock 36 for practice. Also do good in both my 1911s and my 2 Colts (SA with 45ACP cylinder and New Service in 45 Colt).

StrawHat
08-29-2008, 03:50 PM
I am sure it has been mentioned already (but I didn't see it) the Lyman 452423 or the group buy that was similar.

A 235 grain Keith boolit. Nice meplat, decent shoulders and a good weight. I hear they run in 1911's but all my handguns have cylinders.

Just another one to consider.

EDK
08-29-2008, 05:12 PM
I started with LYMAN 453460 in a four cavity mould...worked well in 1911s and S&W revolvers.

Read too many magazines and bought a 6 cavity HENSLEY & GIBBS 68 200 grainer. It worked great...and production soared.

I bought some 230 grain truncuated cones like the LEE 452-230-TC and really liked them. I think I'd buy this design for both autos and revolvers if I needed another mould. BUT I'd love to have a full wadcutter 45 mould at about 230 grains so I wouldn't have to make radical sight changes.

A 44 full wadcutter sure makes interesting holes in things! A 45 would only be better....and I've got 3 inch 625s somewhere in the depths of the safe. Carry full wadcutters in the revolver in auto rim brass and something appropriate in full moon clips for a quick reload.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

Mike Venturino
08-29-2008, 07:12 PM
EDK: Redding/SAECO has a full wadcutter .45 bullet. Its their #453 and is supposed to weigh 225 grains. They used to have a 260 grain version but no longer catalog it. I have both in triple cavity moulds and they are excellent bullets.

MLV

jameslovesjammie
08-29-2008, 11:22 PM
There was a really interesting article in the June 2008 issue of Handloader Magazine that dealt with cast boolits in the .45 ACP and a few other semi-auto's. If only I could remember who wrote that article.

:groner:

Dale53
08-30-2008, 11:37 AM
"Lead bullets in autoloading pistols" by Mike Venturino.

Dale53

jameslovesjammie
08-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Umm...it was kinda supposed to be a joke.

Dale53
08-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Guess I missed it...[smilie=1:

Dale53

Mike Venturino
08-30-2008, 03:40 PM
I got it.

MLV

dancingbear41
09-01-2008, 06:22 PM
This has been a very interesting thread so I feel obliged to throw in my 10 cents.
I started out over twenty years ago with Lee moulds. As soon as I could afford steel moulds (with the exception of NEI) I have stuck with them. I have worn out a number of Lee's, although I must say if you get a good one they cast and shoot very well.

I have the Lyman 452460 SWC and 452370 RN. New Lyman moulds are quite nice because they now have a much thicker sprue plate although the only new .45 mould I have is their HP Devastator which is awesome!!

I have the RCBS 45-201-SWC and 45-225-RN. Also their 45-185-SWC it had a bevel base but I bought it used and it had some damage where it had been slammed shut so I milled the bevel off to create a plain base probably a shade under 180 grains. It casts beautifully but I have not shot any yet. I like the quality of the RCBS moulds, a shame they don't come in larger capacity though.

I like Saeco moulds. I have #130 in 4 cavity, #68 SWC BB in 4 cavity, #69 SWC plain base in 4 cavity, #456 RN in 2 and 4 cavity and #67 TC in 2 cavity.

I have one Hensley & Gibbs mould in .45, #265 a 200 grain RN.

Which do I think is best?

They all shoot well. In the good old days I used to shoot a S&W 625 revolver and an H&K P9S. They both shot well with whatever I fed them with. When the good old days left us, post-Dunblane and the pistol ban, I did not give up on the .45 ACP. I shoot an Armalon PC Carbine. A cute little gun built on the Enfield No.4 action using Tanfoflio (EAA Witness) magazines to give 10 round capacity.

Again which mould is best?

The Armalon shoots all bullets well so some of my choice comes down to what casts well and looks good. The two for me would be the Saeco #67 TC and the H&G #265. Both cast superbly and shoot where I point them and I cannot ask for much more than that.

I hope this helps.

Simon.

trickg
09-02-2008, 07:18 AM
Thanks for all of the responses - this has been an informative thread for me. I have an offer for a used H&G 4-cavity mould - I presume it's a #68, but at this point I don't know and the details still have to be worked out. The #68 style bullets I've been shooting seem to work very well for me but eventually, like you Simon, I'll want to have several molds to choose from and I'll probably wind up with a Lyman 452460 at some point as well.

enfieldphile
09-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Yes, there's something else besides the 1911.. A lot more something else's.

Smith & Wesson Brazilian Navy Modelo 1937 2nd Model Hand Ejector caliber .45 acp & .45 AutoRim. It shows a preference for the 200 grain H&G 68.

In the Colt Gov't Model I prefer function over form so I'll shoot what feeds best and that's usually the round nose 230 grain. Dutch

Dutch:

Agreed! Both my Smith & Wesson Brazilian Navy Modelo 1937 2nd Model Hand Ejector caliber .45 acp & .45 AutoRim, AND my US GI 1917 love the LEE copy of the H&G 68 bb.

Ditto for 2 Taurus PT-1911's, one Blue, one Stainless. they both love the LEE copy of the H&G 68 bb.

I just got a EAA Witness .45acp Elite Match. It will not take the LEE copy of the H&G 68 bb. Boolit is too long! Short seat it and the case mouth hangs up, will not feed! :(

FedEx delivered a 6-cavity LEE 228 grain round nose mold today. This should work! :castmine:

dancingbear41
09-03-2008, 12:06 PM
[QUOTE][I have the Lyman 452460 SWC and 452370 RN. New Lyman moulds are quite nice because they now have a much thicker sprue plate although the only new .45 mould I have is their HP Devastator which is awesome!!/QUOTE]

I don't know what I was thinking, or rather wasn't. It is the Lyman 452374 RN bullet I have.

Simon.

EDK
09-05-2008, 08:29 PM
EDK: Redding/SAECO has a full wadcutter .45 bullet. Its their #453 and is supposed to weigh 225 grains. They used to have a 260 grain version but no longer catalog it. I have both in triple cavity moulds and they are excellent bullets.

MLV

Thank you, sir.

I remembered you had mentioned it in an article and scratched my...er...nose to find it; I was thinking 45 ACP and it was on 45 Long Colt....in an issue of HANDLOADER I've re-read a million times...You and Brian Pearce out did yourselves in that issue.

The only problem with the SAECOs is getting one discounted...or quickly if not in stock at the outifts like Midway or Grafs. Since I've got 2 group buy moulds to pay for (and bought another 550B) this will be on hold for awhile. Missouri got enlightened about CCW permits and I think a 625 with full wadcutters would be ideal

Thanks again...I've enjoyed your books and magazine articles.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

Mike Venturino
09-05-2008, 08:53 PM
EdK: you're very welcome. Glad to hear that Missouri got the CCW.

Mike V.

delmar
08-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Here is a Group buy Lyman "copy" a Lyman and the Lee bullet together.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h165/aneat/Lead/45RN.jpg

Is the Lyman the one on the far left?

Matt_G
08-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Hmm, old thread I had never read. Thanks for bringing it back.

To answer your question, the Lyman 452374 is the middle boolit.
The one on the far left is the group buy Lyman "copy".
Not a very accurate copy either...

cbrick
08-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Here is the Lachmiller 200 gr SWCPB (on left) (from 3 Cav) beside the Lyman 452460 (middle, didn't have a photo of this boolit).

They both feed and shoot well in my 1911 but the SAECO #068 (on right) six cavity casts so well and makes such huge piles of perfect boolits so fast it is by far my most used bullet in this gun. Typo fixed, it is #068 NOT 069

Rick

http://www.lasc.us/Lachmiller45ACP200Gr005-9.jpg http://www.lasc.us/Lyman%20452460.jpg http://www.lasc.us/DSCN1500-3.jpg

Dale53
08-09-2009, 11:51 AM
I have shot .45 ACP's enthusiastically for many, many years. I have shot both NRA Bullseye and IPSC.

The H&G #68 is the premier .45 ACP bullet for both sports. It shoots really well in a variety of .45 ACP pistol designs (including the great S&W Model 25 and 625 revolvers). The nose "strike point" is designed to hit exactly where the issue hard ball bullet hits the feed ram - that is the secret of it's vaunted reliable feeding reputation.

MeHec's copy of the H&G #68 is as close as close can be. My MeHec six cavity mould is a treasured possession. It gets used a LOT:mrgreen:.

Dale53

hammerhead357
08-17-2009, 11:57 PM
IIRC H & G stopped production in about 1997 or so and then Ballisti-cast bought the tooling but couldn't buy the name. They also had to change the numbering system as part of the deal.
I haven't bought moulds from Ballisti-cast but have heard good things about them. I think there were some problems when they first took over but from what I understand they have corrected them and are turning out good moulds.
I have about 15 H & G moulds most are 8 and 10 cavity moulds and at one time I had nearly 40 moulds but lost half in a divorce. When I had that number of moulds I was selling about 40,000 hand cast bullets per week. This was a lot of work but using the gang moulds it was possible. I also had a regular job.
The best seller in 45 acp was the number 68 and it remains my favorite. The 200 gr. number 519 was second and a tie with the number 130.....Wes

Dframe
08-18-2009, 12:12 AM
I'm fortunate enough to have an old two cavity H&G #78 that I consider to be the finest bullet extant for the 45 a.c.p.

SierraWhiskeyMC
08-20-2009, 02:11 PM
ANeat's photo explained to me why the Lee 452-228-1R boolit causes headaches for .45 ACP shooters.

I edited the photo to put the Lyman boolit next to the Lee, and indicated roughly where the boolit starts tapering in towards the nose.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15381&stc=1&d=1250791905

The max OAL for a .45 ACP round is 1.275". I measured some old (1963) military ball .45 M1911 ammo the other day at 1.265" average. People using the Lee 452-228-1R boolit in M1911's are reporting having to reduce their OAL a fair bit, to somewhere in the 1.200" OAL range to keep the boolit from being jammed into the throat and getting shoved back into the case, like in this thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=60510

Because of this, I can only suggest that the 452-228-1R would be a poor choice for .45 ACP boolit casters.

jsizemore
08-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Ballisti-cast took over the H&G line.

Before you commit to a particular bullet, ask if somebody will send you some from the various molds and try them in your gun.

The most expensive mold is cheaper if you don't have to buy 2 or 3 others to get there. That expensive mold will last your lifetime if you treat it with care and you will most likely get your money back out of it if you decide to sell in the future. Ask the original owners of H&G molds if they lost any money when they sold their molds.

hammerhead357
08-23-2009, 01:36 AM
The only way I ever lost money on a H & G mould was the ones my exwife got in the divorce. That was 100% loss. Well maybe I came out ahead in the long run.
I did buy a custom matched used pair of 4 cavity #68 bb moulds one time for 100.00 and sold them several years later for 300.00. They went to South Africa and I didn't even have to pay shipping that far on them....Wes

Graywolf41
08-26-2009, 10:14 PM
I have been casting lead bullets for over 40 years and there are as many questions as there are answers. I used the Lyman 200 grain SWC for almost all my .45s. But some of the newer guns like Glock and Springfield Armory are kind of touchy when it comes SWCs. So for those guns I used round nose. It matches the factory shape and haven't had any problems with stove piping. Good luck

Tippet
08-28-2009, 12:34 PM
I've got the Devastator, haven't used it yet. Waiting on my MiHec dual cramer mould:
http://www.mp-molds.com/images/cramer_45_render_cr.jpg
Mihec has some moulds ready-to-go in .452, couple of 200-gr six-holers in flat & bevel base:
http://www.mp-molds.com/index.php?pr=E_-_shop
This shop also has some moulds for 45ACP:
http://www.hollowpointmold.com/

rvpilot76
08-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Tippet, I love your avatar!

TAWILDCATT
08-31-2009, 01:12 PM
I have both lee 45acpthe copy of H&G and the tumble lube in 6 cavity.they both work in my 3 45s.I used the H&G 68 for yrs and now use lee,club owns the 68.I crimp on top band (roll) crimp.never had a failure.shot compitition for 30 ys.the gun shoots better than I.
get what you want all brands work just that Lee is least expensive and of 10 6 cavities they worked from the get go.as did the 2 cavities.

Cannoneer
09-18-2009, 12:22 PM
I have no doubt the short 200 SWC cowboy type bullet (the alternate Lee bullet with the big flat) works in many 1911's, but I must point out it wasn't designed for it - it's a cowboy action bullet.

The big flat nose has been around since the early 1970's. My first .45 mold was the .454 RFN that Lee made back in 1974, This is before Cowboy action shooting. I was using that bullet in .45ACP and Auto Rim thru my Colt 1917 and my Colt Government Model Series 70 years before CAS came about. It hammers cyotes and wolfs like there's no tomorrow, and mine fed well in both my Colt Government and My Springfield M1911A1.

The 200 grain version works as well without the recoil associated with a 255 grain bullet.:Fire: