PDA

View Full Version : Dardick Trounds

Bent Ramrod
07-14-2017, 05:05 PM
David Dardick patented a rather interesting firearm back in the 1950's that combined the principles of a magazine pistol and a revolver, using an open chamber cylinder for which the top of the chamber to be fired was the lower part of the revolver top strap. The cartridges were rounded triangular in cross section, and referred to as "trounds." The venture failed because the pistol was unreliable and looked like a mutant soldering gun. Always a bad notion to neglect aesthetics, at least of some sort, in firearms design. Strictly speaking, not a bad idea, though, and I wonder what what could be done reliability-wise with modern CNC machinery. Also, what pressures could be achieved in the open chamber system with the polymer composites and carbon-fiber materials available now.

You hardly ever see a Dardick pistol, and even the ammunition is uncommon as all get out. I found this box and grabbed it just for the curio aspect.

abunaitoo
07-14-2017, 05:45 PM
I have a few "Trounds" I picked up at gunshows.
Never see the gun for it. Lots of pictures.
Back a long time ago, Sarco used to sell 50cal trounds.
Wish I'd bought some.
I've read someplace that they used big Trounds to drill holes in the ground.
I also have a Gyro Jet round.
I like odd stuff.

OptimusPanda
07-14-2017, 09:26 PM
Nice find! I've never found any in my travels, hope to some day.

leebuilder
07-15-2017, 07:45 AM
Neat. As rare as hens teeth.
Nice find and piece of gun history/development.
Be well

PB234
07-15-2017, 05:29 PM
Someone with the pistol would love to have the box of ammo and would pay and pay for it. List it on an auction sight at a price you would be happy to get and see what happens. It belongs to be with the pistol.

mozeppa
07-15-2017, 05:39 PM
i too have a tround and a gyrojet (ammo only)

Rio Grande
07-16-2017, 08:12 PM
The trouble with rocket ammo is that at close range, where you need the most energy, the projectile has yet to assume it's maximum velocity.
Also the 'vents' if not machined precisely will result in inaccuracy at longer ranges.

elk hunter
07-22-2017, 09:56 AM
The only Dardick I've ever seen was at the NRA museum. Strange is probably the best way to describe it.

williamwaco
07-22-2017, 10:05 AM
I fired a Dardick when I was a kid. Ugly didn't begin to describe it. Looked like a toy space gun. It's demise was no great loss.