PDA

View Full Version : Mailing Ammo?

Navahojoe
07-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Anyone know if ammo , loaded ammo, can be shipped by US Mail? The reason I am asking, I have found in my Grand Dad's old stash, some .41 Long Rem-UMC and some .38 S&W and have no use for them. Was thinking about mailing them to someone. Any comments?
Regards,
NavahoJoe

fishhawk
07-28-2008, 06:04 PM
nope not supposed to use the mail. should go UPS ORMD small arms amunition

mike in co
07-28-2008, 06:04 PM
usps has a rule against live ammo, but i do not know if it is a law....

typically you use ups with correct orm-d labeling.

mike in co

Down South
07-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Nope, Can't do it without a license, correct labels and Hazmat. A stiff penalty if caught without. At least that's what I've been told.

Navahojoe
07-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Was afraid of that, just looking for cheapest way to ship them.
Thanks for the replies.
Regards,
NavahoJoe

KYCaster
07-28-2008, 08:58 PM
The last ammo I sent on UPS cost close to twelve bucks for a ~3lb. package.

Do some research on the UPS website before you try to send it cause the nice young lady behind the counter don't know squat about it and will give you a hard time if you don't know the rules.

The supervisor at the Louisville office asked me if I knew the person I was shipping to. He was concerned that the guy might use the ammo to kill himself. :roll:

Know the answers before you go and it's not too bad.

Jerry

MtGun44
07-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Find a "ORMD Small Arms Ammunition" label on the web and print it out on your computer printer
and cut from the paper and stick on with wide clear tape. I have sent handloads
to friends and relatives this way many times. Pack it well, in original boxes or
the kind that Midway sells (cardboard with foam insert) or MTM type boxes.
Making it not rattle will help in avoiding a lot of questions from UPS.

Bill

Johnch
07-28-2008, 09:30 PM
I agree you are not suposed to mail ammo

But I know it gets done every day [smilie=1:[smilie=1:
As I didn't know you were not suposed to and maile ammo several times

I just rapped it tight as to not rattle and put it in a prepaid box and shiped it

John

georgewxxx
07-28-2008, 10:30 PM
There is no Hazmat for ammo. Powder & primers yes...Geo

Down South
07-28-2008, 11:06 PM
I may have jumped the gun somewhat on my first reply. My info was second hand from another forum. I did a little research. You are supposed to have some type of training which is required by DOT ( Can be done online free). UPS does not require license or the training just the ORM-D label. The link below has some good info in it about shipping ammo.

http://www.adazonusa.com/howtoshipammunitionorammo-a-45.html

Scrounger
07-29-2008, 12:48 AM
Here's the label; print it and you're good to go:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o9/artcompton/ORM-D_cartridges_small_arms.jpg

Powderpacker
07-29-2008, 06:06 AM
www.labelmaster.com stays up to date on the various regulations and has the labels required.

Harry O
07-29-2008, 01:20 PM
USPS rules:
Hazard Class 1: Explosives Type Common Examples Domestic International Domestic Mail Maximum Amount Permitted in Mail Additional Information
Air Surface DMM Pub 52
Explosives Fireworks, dynamite, grenade, small arms ammunition. All explosives are prohibited except as specified in DMM 601.10.

UPS rules:
 UPS shipping of ammunition
 Ammunition may be accepted for shipment internationally provided it is shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping International Goods.
 Ammunition cannot be included in packages that contain firearms (including handguns). Ammunition must be shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping Ground and Air Hazardous Materials, or the UPS Guide for Shipping International Dangerous Goods.

I have shipped ammunition with UPS. There was no problem other than they will NOT accept it at branch offices. I presented it at the UPS home office in town and told them what was in it. They charged me normal ground shipping rates for it (no HAZ-MAT) and they placed their own ORM-D stickers on it. Cannot go by air, but that is VERY expensive anyway. Make sure it is a heavy cardboard box.

mike in co
07-29-2008, 01:55 PM
USPS rules:
Hazard Class 1: Explosives Type Common Examples Domestic International Domestic Mail Maximum Amount Permitted in Mail Additional Information
Air Surface DMM Pub 52
Explosives Fireworks, dynamite, grenade, small arms ammunition. All explosives are prohibited except as specified in DMM 601.10.

the usps data very clearly says "air"....what about parcel post/ground ??

mike in co

Harry O
07-29-2008, 02:15 PM
the usps data very clearly says "air"....what about parcel post/ground ??

mike in co

Check the USPS regulations if you like (Google search), but when I was researching it, I recall that NO small arms ammunition was allowed to be sent by mail under any circumstances.

I called the local place to make sure, but after talking with them, I believe they just say no regardless. That is why you must have the actual information on hand to show them (provided it is opposite of what they said) when you go in. (for example, you can mail a rifle or shotgun by USPS, but the people nearby said no until I showed them on their own website).

Maximilian225
08-01-2008, 06:10 PM
From the Domestic Mail Manual

8.5 Harmful Matter—General
Except as provided in this document, any article, composition, or material is
nonmailable if it can kill or injure another or injure the mail or other property. Harmful
matter includes, but is not limited to:
a. All types and classes of poisons, including controlled substances.
b. All poisonous animals except scorpions mailed for medical research purposes
or for the manufacture of antivenom; all poisonous insects; all poisonous
reptiles; and all types of snakes, turtles, and spiders.
c. All disease germs or scabs.
d. All explosives, flammable material, infernal machines, and mechanical,
chemical, or other devices or compositions that may ignite or explode.

8.6 Hazardous Materials
Harmful matter also includes regulated hazardous materials as defined in 10.0 that
are likely to harm USPS employees or to destroy, deface, or otherwise damage mail
or postal equipment. This includes materials such as caustic poisons (acids and
alkalies), oxidizers, or highly flammable liquids, gases, or solids; or materials that are
likely, under conditions incident to transportation, to cause fires through friction,
absorption of moisture, or spontaneous chemical changes or from retained heat
from manufacturing or processing, including explosives or containers previously
used for shipping high explosives with a liquid ingredient (such as dynamite),
ammunition, fireworks, radioactive materials, matches, or articles emitting
obnoxious odors.

Heres a link to a bulletin type page says "Ammunition Prohibited" under firearms section. http://pe.usps.gov/search/jsp/search/vv_docread.jsp?k2dockey=http%3A%2F%2Fpe.usps.com%2 Ftext%2Fqsg300%2FQ601.htm%40PE_QSG300_HTML_5&serverSpec=56.0.145.56:9920&QueryParser=Simple&querytext=%28ammunition%29&dtype=2#hit0

:Fire:

Freightman
08-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Traded for a Makarov and 10 boxes of ammo, the ammo came separate but it came to my mail box by USPS, that didn't bother me to much he just got by by shipping flat rate.
The pistol came UPS ground, no big deal he saved a bunch of money, now what bothered me?
Took possession from my FFL and decided I needed to ck it before I pulled the trigger, racked it back and out came a JHP loaded shell. Got a little weak in the knees as the safety wasn't on and the mak has a floating firing pin.
The regulations are there to protect us from the dumb, stupid and un-caring in our society.

jim4065
08-01-2008, 11:17 PM
...............................The regulations are there to protect us from the dumb, stupid and un-caring in our society.

Trouble is - The regulations don't protect anyone from anything. The regulations were in place and he still shipped it that way (and got away with it). :roll:

Earl Brasse
08-02-2008, 01:26 AM
What do cartridge collectors do since they usually only want one round? If those are the rules I can see why they set-up @ shows.

miestro_jerry
08-02-2008, 01:45 AM
I have been shipping ammo by priority mail for the last few years with no trouble.

Jerry

DLCTEX
08-02-2008, 04:56 AM
meistro jerry: that's putting your neck on the chopping block if a package is ever damaged and the ammo is found. The people that enforce these laws don't have many opportunities to make an example of someone, I'd hate to be that example.. I have been told that you can ship rifles and shotguns in the mail, but not handguns. 11.1.5 states that handguns may be sent in the mail from dealer to dealer. The only difference seems to be that long guns may be sent to and from gunsmiths, manufacturers, etc. without going through a dealer on the customer end. DALE