PDA

View Full Version : RCBS pro melt, or Lyman mag 20???

hotwheelz
07-28-2008, 04:20 PM
I have been using my lee 20lb pot since I got started and now Im working improving my tools. There is almost a $100 diff. in price the rcbs being more expensive is it really worth it and why?

dromia
07-28-2008, 04:35 PM
I have the Lee and the RCBS, to me the RCBS is worth the extra as a bottom pour.

It is far more ergonomical than the Lee which I need to raise up a height to see the pouring spout.

The RCBS works straight out of the box without fettling, the RCBS does not have the built in perennial drip. Yes I've tried all the fixes but the only permanet one was when I blocked up the spout and removed the pouring mechanism to convert it into a dipping pot. It serves me well as that.

The RCBS thermostat works far better than the Lee at keeping the temp even as the contents of the pot depletes.

The RCBS has far more "shelf" space around the top of the pot for pre heating moulds and stuff.

To me the RCBS seems less agricultural in operation than the Lee.

I wouldn't buy another Lee unless I was going to convert and use it for dipping.

So to me the extra money is well worth it and I can afford it at present, if times were harder then no doubt I might appreciate the Lee more.

Many people use the Lee and are very happy with it, I wish them well.

dromia
07-28-2008, 04:37 PM
BTW I have no experience of the Lyman furnaces so cannot comment either way on them, but from what I've read I'd get one of them before a Lee as well.

Le Loup Solitaire
07-28-2008, 08:57 PM
I have had an RCBS pro melt since 78 and along with my Saecos; They all are the best pots I have had. My pro-melt has a stainless steel crucible and never has rusted. No drips ever ....just continuous and reliable service year after year. The extra $$$ are worth it, just like with tools. Solid construction that lasts and a good warranty. And you don't have to play around with the game of what funny little two-faced words words are written/printed on the box. Unfortunately the Saeco pots are long out of production, but the RCBS pro-melt is still with us. LLS

crowbeaner
07-28-2008, 10:02 PM
I have the Lyman Mag 20 pot myself and it still works just fine except for the pour spout. Someone whom will remain anonymous broke a drill bit off in it TWICE trying to enlarge the hole so he could pour BIG boolits. It has to go back to Lyman for a new pot and stopper. It is now a Mag Dipper. I've never had a problem with it, and it still works like it's supposed to. It is over 20 years old. A bit rusty in spots, but I just smelted 400 lbs of lino and pure lead to make alloy for the shotmaker. Now I have to put them together to get a consistant melting alloy and make the shot. I bought it because it was $75 cheaper than the RCBS at that time.

07-29-2008, 01:21 PM
LE LOUP SOLITAIRE if you bought your rcbe in 1978 that must be about the year they started sale them. . i got one in 75 or 76. it was from the man that first made them. he sold the pat. to rcbe . mine does not have any name on it. i think it cost $125.00 back then. it is still going strong.

mold maker
07-29-2008, 02:58 PM
The only problem I ever had with the Lyman Mag pot was pour spout freeze up. The heating element is too far from the spout and in cold weather it allows the spout to cool between pours. This isn't a problem if using 6 cav. molds, but gives me a fit with singles.

sagamore-one
07-29-2008, 03:39 PM
I have and use both. The hands down favorite is the RCBS. The Lyman has been rebuilt twice. Both times by the manufacturer and at my expense. It is a very good pot and well worth serious consideration. The RCBS has been rebuilt once, by me, at Rcbs expense. Their customer service is just GREAT. Even when I ran into something I didn't understand, all it took was a toll free call to get expert advice.
I end up using the RCBS more than the Lyman.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Marshal Kane
07-29-2008, 05:01 PM
I have both the Lyman Mag 20 and the RCBS Pro-melt. The Lyman I bought used from eBay, the RCBS was a Father's Day gift. I like both pots. Would choose either one again in a heartbeat. They both just work that great. Well worth the extra cost when you consider convenience, reliability and backup service. Still, the Lee 20 lb pot is very popular and is a great value especially if you're working within a limited budget. My advice, get the best that you can afford. Best wishes.