PDA

View Full Version : Little problem

dombra
07-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Dear Gents!
whats the best way to de-activate a round that is stuck in the chamber- water or 10W40.......
wasn't thinkin and did something stupid
many thanks

Heavy lead
07-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Kroil,
That stuff will creep into anything.
Wadjadu!

Calamity Jake
07-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Take the gun to a gunsmith for removal, that kroil may take weeks to penatrate deep enough to do any good plus you won't know if it did deactivate anything.

docone31
07-28-2008, 03:19 PM
What kind of round, and stuck where?

44man
07-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Yes, more info please.

kodiak1
07-28-2008, 07:22 PM
Wooden Dowel and a tap stick.

You should be able to knock it out. If it is only a primed case you should still be able to knock it out.

Ken.

trooperdan
07-28-2008, 07:45 PM
I'd palm this problem off on a gunsmith; I've heard of at least one round that fired when it was being "tapped out" from the muzzle with a wooden dowel.

runfiverun
07-28-2008, 08:58 PM
c,mon fess up
i have probably done it once or twice.

Southern Son
07-28-2008, 09:15 PM
The SSAA (Sporting Shooters Association of Australia) have very strick rules for removing a "dud" round from the chamber. If it can be accessed from the rear and levered out with a screw driver, then you can, if you have to shove something down the muzzle, then you cannot do it on the range, at all, no matter what calibre, type of rifle or what ever. Apparently there have been a couple of "duds" go bang while someone was shoving a dowel down the barrel to push the round out of the chamber.

GabbyM
07-28-2008, 09:17 PM
I did it a few months ago. Still need to get the bolt handle welded back on my M700. Since the first thing I tried was to drive down on the bolt handle with my boot. Removed from foot and used as a hammer. Well the bolt flew out in two pieces but the bullet stayed in. I later poured Kroil down the bore. Left over night. Next morning a cleaning rod tapped it out. The Kroil was to get between the case and chamber.

What makes it really dumb is I have a body sizing die for that caliber. But I just had to try and chamber an old round in a new chamber.

HeavyMetal
07-28-2008, 10:07 PM
Compressing the powder by trying to push out the round is a good way to get it to go off!

I will suggest that the Kroil is the way to go and that any attempts to remove this round are done so in an area that will prohibit a projectile from either end of the gun from harming anyone.

Why do I think you have an AR-15?

jhalcott
07-29-2008, 12:01 AM
The "rod down the barrel" system is no longer allowed at the range I go to. Some kind of accident happened a few years ago. Ruined "trombone " gun and an injury to a bystander.

Frank46
07-29-2008, 12:17 AM
I believe there was a situation such as yours some years back at a bench rest match.
While trying to remove a live round from the chamber, it went off. And I believe a fatality was the result. Better to pay the smith to do it than risk life or limb. Frank

docone31
07-29-2008, 12:21 AM
Wow, every time I have pounded out a bad load, I always took care to center the rod.
I use a brass rod, sligtly smaller than bore and instead of hitting it hard, which obturates the projectile, I hit it solid.
The few times I have jammed one in, it did not take that much to get it loose. Just a follow through whap!
Usually, it has been residue, for me, really wedging the bore and projectile. The longer it sits, the tighter it seems.
I like to chamber tight to begin with. Getting lead shavings, or copper shavings in the throat, it goes in, almost, and is miserable to get out. In semi's, they just jam, in bolt guns, especially mine where I like long bolts, you can get some real pressure there.
Bolt guns have a lot of pressure going in, but, not so much coming out.
Good luck with it.

Bigjohn
07-29-2008, 03:59 AM
Most of the methods I know of involve a degree of difficulty & danger.

One method I recall reading in the 'BROWNELLS' Gunsmithing Kinks, so I will add it to the discussion.

Remove bolt and in a safe area push the projectile back into the case (that's the dangerous part).

Fill bore with oil; this will kill the powder & primer.

Live standing over night, then top up the barrel with oil.

Using a close fitting rod fitted with 'O' rings (as a piston) drive it in to the bore using a hammer.

This method involves some danger and if you cannot feel safe doing it this way or any other way; consult a G'smith.

Best of luck and take care,

John

Pavogrande
07-29-2008, 04:07 AM
What method will the gunsmith use to remove it?

docone31
07-29-2008, 09:09 AM
He will take a rod and smack it.
That is what I watched my gunsmith do.
He also had a barrel of a Super Blackhawk with five bullets in the barrel! He cut that one in half and had it displayed.
Someone had a bad day.

Willbird
07-29-2008, 10:09 AM
Compressing the powder by trying to push out the round is a good way to get it to go off!

I will suggest that the Kroil is the way to go and that any attempts to remove this round are done so in an area that will prohibit a projectile from either end of the gun from harming anyone.

Why do I think you have an AR-15?

You could compress smokeless powder in a 100 ton press and it would not ignite :-). Hit it with a hammer, run over it with a bulldozer, have Rosie O sit on it, etc.

Bill

felix
07-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Bill; Frank is indeed correct. Case full of H322 in 6PPC. Action closed way to tight. Took bolt off by ripping the case rim, with wife holding gun on bags. Used ramrod to tap out the round. Bang!!! Wife died several hours later in hospital, killed by a case with primer still 100 percent intact. An energy wave set off the powder. Keep in mind that BR guns have actions built so strong that closing down on a case will offer little resistance. The feel of that closure is most important with these guns. Use extreme caution when using tight neck applications. ... felix

If you are going to use this process, use a WOODEN DOWEL. ... felix

TCLouis
07-29-2008, 10:52 PM
You have a lot of answers ad yet the most important thing is missing . . .

WHAT ARE ALL OF THE ISSUES THAT LEAD TO YOUR INQUIRY.

Several have asked and I see no response, details may well dictate significantly different answers