PDA

View Full Version : How old is "Vintage"...

Idaho Sharpshooter
07-12-2017, 11:15 AM
is 1960's era ammunition old enough to qualify?

I have a box each of the following:

1963 Lake City 7.62 MM Match 173gr fmj Velocity 2550
1965 Frankford Arsenal "

several boxes of Winchester Western Super X 180gr (silvertips) yellow box with labels on each end flap sealing the box that say S.A.A.M.I. Reference Ammunition.

Pressman
07-12-2017, 12:22 PM
Vintage is the favorite term everyone users to describe something older than last week.
Go to eBay and enter "vintage" in search. You will see what I mean.

Ken

dragon813gt
07-12-2017, 12:28 PM
Vintage is the favorite term everyone users to describe something older than last week.
Go to eBay and enter "vintage" in search. You will see what I mean.

Ken

Yep, and in layman's terms it means a piece of junk they want to sell for a lot of money.

LUBEDUDE
07-12-2017, 02:36 PM
The original meaning of the word had to due with the age of wine. But our language allowed it to cross over to just about any object. Probably to make them (object and owner) appear sophisticated.

To me a true vintage item is 50 -99 years in which it becomes an antique at 100 years. However, as Ken has stated, the term is vastly abused and misused.

Duckiller
07-14-2017, 10:36 PM
I have some 30/06 ammo that was loaded in 1965 or earlier. Does this qualify as vintage ammo? Know it was 1965 because that was when I moved to Cal and uncle stop loading for my 03A3.

smokeywolf
07-14-2017, 10:57 PM
The original meaning of the word had to due with the age of wine. But our language allowed it to cross over to just about any object. Probably to make them (object and owner) appear sophisticated.

To me a true vintage item is 50 -99 years in which it becomes an antique at 100 years. However, as Ken has stated, the term is vastly abused and misused.

That makes me well into vintage.

LUBEDUDE
07-14-2017, 11:34 PM
I have some 30/06 ammo that was loaded in 1965 or earlier. Does this qualify as vintage ammo? Know it was 1965 because that was when I moved to Cal and uncle stop loading for my 03A3.

Vintage for sure! It's 52 years old.

flint45
07-19-2017, 12:40 PM
Anything that has vintage in the description is worth more money! all my stuff is vintage including me.lol

Der Gebirgsjager
07-19-2017, 03:48 PM
Don't forget "venerable" when writing about any older firearm. "A little history about the venerable 1911...."

3006guns
07-22-2017, 05:37 PM
.................along with "relic", "hard to find", "rare", "sought after" and every other adjective or buzzword phrase that Ebay sellers can come up with. I love it when something is described as "vintage" and I've got six of them in a box. I've offered to sell them to the sellers at a discount but they never respond. Why not? After all, they're "vintage".......

Seems in the last few years that there are no more bargains or surprises on Ebay either. Everything starts at $9.95 with a glowing description, and retail sellers have become the norm. I really miss the days when it operated like a big garage sale and real treasures showed up on a regular basis.......

15meter
07-22-2017, 07:19 PM
I prefer the term classic, I have a John Deere 60 that I keep my 92 year old mother's driveway clear of snow in the winter that was built the year I was born. Other people have referred to it as an antique. By extension then I must be and antique. NO. I may be an old geezer but I am not an antique. Classic yes, antique, not until I see the grass from the brown side!

Geezer in NH
07-23-2017, 04:54 PM
Don't forget the auctioneer hype also of "period" All hype it seems that many buy into.

beemer
08-02-2017, 09:10 AM
Patina or rust, just depends what side of the table you're on.

Xringshooter
08-02-2017, 03:20 PM
It's been a while since I've been on the forum, but I'll be showing up more now that I'm kinda retired (still run my one man gunsmithing business). How does one go about selling "vintage/antique" ammo? I have a bunch that was given to me, no boxes, just a cardboard box of loose ammo. I sorted it and put it into plastic boxes but when I try to sell it, lookers won't buy unless it's in original boxes. Maybe I should just shoot it but I know there are collectors out there that actually might want the ammo itself. I don't want to get into trouble with the mods so I won't give details that might lead someone to think I am trying to sell outside the for sale area, but just wondering sell or shoot?