PDA

View Full Version : Went to the gun shop.....

Tom W.
07-07-2017, 11:52 PM
My wife and I went to the LGS today just to see what was there. I was look for a DeSantis pocket holster, but there was none. It crossed my mind to trade my Ruger for a Glock, but let that notion fly away. I was really surprised at the ratio of pistols to revolvers. It seems revolvers are like hen's teeth. The used handguns display was pitiful, and the prices weren't too much less than a new firearm, altho they are a bit negotiable, whereas the new guns are set in stone. Oh well, it was still nice to go, and there was an abundance of powder and primers, as well as jacketed bullets on the shelf.

Down South
07-08-2017, 10:08 PM
Last LGS I went to, I traded a NIB Glock and Springfield XD for a Sig. But I got a little boot too.

Porterhouse
07-09-2017, 10:59 AM
You should feel lucky for 3 things;
1: You still have a LGS around you.
2: Your wife comes with you.
3: You can negotiate the price of revolvers.

Do you have an outdoor range that you can still shoot empty cans and pet bottles without range officers? Or a place you can shoot rocks out to 1,000yds without anyone complains? Things have been changing drastically and it's not just around guns but the way people shop, work, and live...

Handloader109
07-09-2017, 02:34 PM
We have one close that I've bought a few handguns from. They just expanded and have added clothing, bow range, and a lot of hunting supplies they didn't have room for in the past. Trying to diversify a bit. Few revolvers, more than last time, but not many. Reloading supply shelves were full

Tom W.
07-09-2017, 10:03 PM
You should feel lucky for 3 things;
1: You still have a LGS around you.
2: Your wife comes with you.
3: You can negotiate the price of revolvers.

Do you have an outdoor range that you can still shoot empty cans and pet bottles without range officers? Or a place you can shoot rocks out to 1,000yds without anyone complains? Things have been changing drastically and it's not just around guns but the way pe

lele shop, work, and live...

My wife doesn't like to go, but when I can't drive she will take me. That will stop soon as school is starting soon. The closest outdoor range that is free is 40 miles away. I quit shooting bottles many years ago, unless they are plastic. The range is run by the State of Georgia. Most of the time the local sheriff comes by. The LGS does have a 25 yard indoor range, for pistol, .22 cal rifle, and shotgun with birdshot only. We don't have any rocks that can be seen at 1000 yards.

bedbugbilly
07-10-2017, 08:16 AM
I obsered the same thing at a gun shop that an acquaintance owns and it is a fairly large one. I asked why the high ration of semis as opposed to revolvers and his answer was quick and simple - "Younger people have no interest in revolvers in general and want semis as that is what they've been exposed to in all the action movies and video games.".

I had never thought about that and there are certainly exceptions to that but even at the range that I sometimes go to, us older ones are shooting revolvers and the younger ones are running through ammo like there is an endless supply of it. I have a younger friend (in his 50s) and he is one who has to have all the "man toys" - fast bike, fast car, ORV, etc. and the last time he had shot a revolver was when he was in the Air Force and had to qualify with one. Now? It's strictly semi-autos and that boy can waste more ammunition than anyone I've ever seen. I'll be working my way through a box of my 38 special reloads out of my 1952 Smith M & P and by the time I've gone through 50 rounds he has gone through 300 rounds out of his 9mm.

I just chalk it up to they try to stock what moves quickly and what there is a demand for. Still, I like to go in to a LGS and take a gander at revolvers myself - especially SA revolvers. It probably would have been different if Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy and the Cisco Kid had shot semi-autos . . . . .

It's fortunate you have a LGS though . . . we still have a couple around where I a in MI and some good ones where we spend the winter. I much prefer a good old LGS as opposed to what the atmosphere is in one of the big box stores.

mold maker
07-10-2017, 10:00 AM
Local Gun Stores seem to come and go in cycles. As a child, I remember 3 stores on main (the only) street that sold guns. The grocery stores had ammo and even one service station often had 22s. Then a bate and tackle opened and included a major selection of guns and related supplies.
When the proprietor retired, even though it was a very viable business he couldn't sell it, so it closed.
The other stores had stopped selling ammo and supplies so it left our town barren. The only gun related store in the next town also closed it's doors. That left only two not so local LGS, and they were both in adjacent counties.
Now there are once more, three local stocking stores and their shelves are filling with everything associated. The problem is as political events have caused all the local shooters to stock up, and their sales are replacement only. In order to keep shooting during the times when availability was scatchy we all found the convience of the internet sales. It will be hard to again rely on a local store and allow our inventory to dwindle.

Hardcast416taylor
07-10-2017, 11:24 AM
I`m in the position of my Wife doesn`t go near a gun shop with me. My deceased Son would go with me and we would shoot in my gravel pit alot. Almost all of my shooting friends have either given it up, died or moved out West or down South. William`s gun shop has a policy it seems of buy from you cheap and resell high. I am set with componets till I pass on so there is no reason to go to crowed pricey gun shows or shops that almost care to wait on you. People that do see my gravel pit range with target frames and benchs that stretch out to 200 yds. from 30 yds. want to know when they can come over and use it? I answer `No` and explain that this is not a public range for `John Q. Public` to just drop in and use. With my back problems along with heart problems I can`t be with them while they shoot. Besides I grew tired of having the local LEO`s out here from a complaint call of my shooting a full automatic weapon, it was an old mauser bolt gun and I fired 20 rounds!Robert

Tom W.
07-10-2017, 05:34 PM
I suppose we're blessed... there's one that I know of in Smiths Station, two in Opelika, with one of those being a Class III dealer. The Pawn shops are half and half, with the better ones having mostly new firearms. But all of them are proud of their price tags. The aforementioned ones are in Georgia and Alabama..and a few more miles down 431 is Dothan Alabama on they used to have a lot of shops, although I haven't been there in a few years.

Blackwater
07-12-2017, 05:32 PM
You're lucky if they had plenty of reloading supplies! Here, most shoot factory, so there's little allure for our LGS's to stock up. I've been reloading since '62, and back then, the local 'smith carried the standard powders, which sufficed for a long time, until I got enough $$$ to branch out into various powders. He died a long time ago now, and his brother took over his "gunsmithing," but didn't want to "mess with" reloading. I've long had to order in any reloading supplies, unless I get lucky. So count yourself fortunate.

And as to the handguns, folks here just don't sell or trade many of them. They hang onto what they have, and slowly seem to be adding to their "collection." It's really hard to find good used guns now in my area, so don't feel lonesome about the dearth of good used guns. You're far from alone in this!

psweigle
07-12-2017, 05:59 PM
Plenty of lgs in my area to choose from. We even have a reloading supply shop too. Revolvers are definitely getting less and less. My wife doesn't care to go with me. There are several farms in my area that we groundhog hunt at that we can shoot 1000 yards if we wish. All in all, I have to consider myself very fortunate.

Tom W.
07-12-2017, 10:36 PM
It's ironic......now that I'm retired and have time to hunt I can't until the Cancer goes into remission. I'm not supposed to pick up anything heavier than a gallon of milk. Both my Ruger No. 1 and my Handi- Rifle as well as my T/C Hawken weigh a lot more than that. But by golly when I die someone will get a LOT of ammo with cast boolits seated in them. I still have to get powder and primers, so the LGS employees know my face.