PDA

View Full Version : Lee 20 lb Pot humming

KenH
07-07-2017, 07:33 PM
Hello all - I got a Lee 20 lb pot a couple weeks ago. It has a pretty loud hum when heating - sounds like a 60 cycle vibration of the type a transformer makes with a loose core laminate. I removed the t'stat when I changed over to PID control, but it still hums while heating. Once heated, it's not so bad because it's on such short times to maintain heat.

Any ideas where this hum comes from? What causes it? Do all Lee pots have this hum? I have a 10 lb Lee pot and it doesn't have the hum. Both pots are bottom pour.

Thanks for any ideas 'n comments.

Ken H>

Madoktor1
07-07-2017, 07:58 PM
Mine hums as well. I don't know why either. It works fine though and I know Lee will take care of it if anything happens so I just keep rocking along. I've put about 75 lbs through mine so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KenH
07-07-2017, 08:08 PM
It will be interesting to see how many folks have the same humming issue with their 20 lb pot - wonder if the standard (non-bottom pour) pot hums also?

Bird
07-07-2017, 08:14 PM
Mine does. Varies a bit, but generally increases in noise just before it cycles off. Nothing to be concerned about.

DerekP Houston
07-07-2017, 08:41 PM
Mine hummed quite noticeably.

MT Chambers
07-07-2017, 08:46 PM
The hum is a built in warning that things are not right and devise will blow up, on a quiet evening you can hear a Lee mold hum.

Grmps
07-07-2017, 08:53 PM
We could get all our pots together and start a choir

Bzcraig
07-07-2017, 09:26 PM
Mine is a hummer too.......but way off key so won't be joining a choir.:)

retread
07-07-2017, 09:42 PM
I have two 4-20's. One hums quite loudly and the other one hums quietly on start up and then is silent. Both seem to be performing the same. Have PID's on both and they climb in temperature at about the same rate, both stay on temperature with just a few degree swing. Beats me!

Faret
07-07-2017, 10:01 PM
Somebody better send me a 20 # to test I"ll even pay shipping!:kidding:

Handloader109
07-07-2017, 10:04 PM
Internal relay is making the noise. Normal

Freightman
07-07-2017, 10:15 PM
Mine has been humming for 20 years,don't sweet it.

jsizemore
07-07-2017, 10:37 PM
Vibration between the pot liner and the heating element wrapped around it.

ghh3rd
07-07-2017, 11:49 PM
Haven't noticed mine humming, but might of just thought it was my tinnitus.

copdills
07-08-2017, 12:19 AM
As long as mine don't start talking , I'm cool with the humming

corbinace
07-08-2017, 03:07 AM
Mine sounds more like an electric engraving pencil. I like it as I can tell how the temperature is going without looking at the PID readout.

Taylor
07-08-2017, 06:46 AM
I have 2,one hums,the other don't.Both make boolits.

cjensen
07-08-2017, 06:56 AM
My Lee 20#'ers hum. I thought is was because they did not know the words.

KenH
07-08-2017, 08:35 AM
Internal relay is making the noise. Normal

The only internal relay is the t'stat which is what I though was making the humming. I removed that when I installed PID controls and it still hums.

That is what I think also - some pots have a tad of space allowing heating element to vibrate a tad, while other pots either are too tight (or loose enough to have space) thus preventing the hum.

Thanks for all the comments folks - ya'll have pretty much confirmed humming is pretty standard with Lee pots. Perhaps we need to make an effort to teach them the words :)

Ken H>

mold maker
07-08-2017, 12:14 PM
They're just singing the one note samba, it's the rhythm that's off.

Mitch
07-08-2017, 02:23 PM
I have 2 both hum.i have a RCBS Pro Melt and it is quiteNever noticed the lees humming till I get the Promelt.Now I find myself cheching if the Promelt is on or not lol

jdfoxinc
07-09-2017, 09:31 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm click. Hummmmmmmmmm click. Hummmmm click.

tazman
07-09-2017, 09:37 AM
I have owned and used several Lee pots over the decades. All of them hummed. Never gave it a thought. I just go ahead and use them.
The only issue I had with them is when my basement flooded and the pots got under water for 4 days, there were some parts I needed to replace. Just drying them out wasn't good enough in all cases.

Hannibal
07-09-2017, 10:21 AM
Anytime electrical current passes through a conductor, a magnetic field is generated. As these casting pots are powered by AC, or alternating current, the magnetic field will build in one polarity, collapse and build in the opposite polatity approximately 60 times per second, as that is the standard frequency of AC power. Combine this with the heating coil wrapping around the circular metal pot, and an audible noise is generated as the pot acts like a resonator.

It gets more complicated and it's been many years since l studied electrical theory, but I believe this to be a pretty close explanation without rambling on for several paragraphs.

Hope it helps. (?)

KenH
07-09-2017, 11:05 AM
You're correct in what causes a 60 cycle hum/vibration in many things - same as I mentioned in loose laminate in a transformer.

I was wondering if I had the only vibrating 20 lb pot, but guess not. Seems there are a lots of them that have this vibration. Maybe one day I'll get around to pulling the cover and see if a tad of space can be added somewhere to prevent the vibration, OR make the coil tight against the pot. There's got to be a reason some pots don't make this 60 cycle vibration sound.

Hannibal
07-09-2017, 11:31 AM
The one I have hums, also. As you have mentioned, making the coil tight against the pot seems like a workable solution. I don't know this to be fact, but it seems reasonable.

bedbugbilly
07-10-2017, 08:46 AM
I have cast with a propane hotplate for 50 years but have given some serious thought to a Lee 20 pound pot. One would be handy when I don't want to go to effort to getting everything set up with the propane hot plate to cast. I'm glad I read this thread but I'm a little confused . . . .

I checked Titan and while they sit the posts, I don't see any part numbers for the "style" of humming . .. . anyone know the part number for the pot that hums bluegrass? My luck is that I'd order one and get the "opera" model . . . .

Loudy13
07-10-2017, 08:54 AM
I thought the hum was how you knew it was working! I use it to gauge if the unit is still trying to gain heat rapidly or just maintaining heat.

3006guns
07-10-2017, 09:00 AM

^^^This........I usually tap mine gently with my mold mallet and the noise stops. I think it's because the outside sheet metal cover is a bit too close to the element. In any case, nothing to be excited about. Just hum along with it if you don't know the words........

Hardcast416taylor
07-10-2017, 11:37 AM
If it gets to the point that you can identify the song it is humming, seek professional help. Or if it breaks out singing `Oklahoma`, then you have a money maker!Robert

gwpercle
07-10-2017, 01:35 PM
All three of mine have hummed , the little precision melter, the 10 lb. bottom pour and the 20 lb. magnum melter. Never paid it no mind and they are all still working and humming right along....I thought it was normal. As long as they are melting lead I won't try and " fix " them.
Gary

KenH
07-10-2017, 02:13 PM
Interesting your 10 lb pot hums also - my 10 lb bottom pour is quiet as a mouse. I guess the 20 lb pot humming/vibrating bothers me because it sounds like a transformer with loose laminate core - and that's a signal to replace transformer. I can see where it does no harm with the pot.

I might try whomping my pot some day to see how that affects it.

Good thread - thanks to all for comments.

swheeler
07-10-2017, 03:50 PM
Mine has hummed since I got it, but it can't carry a tune worth a darn!:bigsmyl2:

gwpercle
07-12-2017, 03:28 PM
They are sort of like wives....keep them long enough and after awhile....you don't hear a thing !

Eddie17
07-12-2017, 06:32 PM
My Lee pot has no noticeable hum, not a bottom pour, 20lb used out side thou!

woodbutcher
07-15-2017, 11:24 PM
[smilie=1: Camptown race track five miles long Do Dah Do Dah:groner: .
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

KenH
07-18-2017, 07:11 PM
OK, I pulled the pot down today to do a good cleaning of the bottom spout and can see the heating coil is resting against the support rod that goes to bottom. I "pried" a bit to give some clearance, put it back together. Turned pot on and it's not humming much at all now - none when cold, but as pot heats up the humming increases, but still less than before.

As other's have said, that's how you know it's heating :)

Ken H>

Geezer in NH
07-18-2017, 08:26 PM
Be happy you can hear a hum by anything I haven't in years, although I do hear a high pitch whine evey now and then but it goes away. :bigsmyl2:

EDG
07-18-2017, 10:53 PM
Whiter Shade of Pale by Procol Harum

We skipped the light fandango
Turned cartwheels 'cross the floor
I was feeling kinda seasick
But the crowd called out for more
The room was humming harder
As the ceiling flew away
When we called out for another drink
The waiter brought a tray

And so it was that later
As the miller told his tale
That her face, at first just ghostly,
Turned a whiter shade of pale
She said, 'There is no reason
And the truth is plain to see.'
But I wandered through my playing cards
And would not let her be
One of sixteen vestal virgins
Who were leaving for the coast
And although my eyes were open
They might have just as well've been closed

And so it was that later
As the miller told his tale
That her face, at first just ghostly,
Turned a whiter shade of pale

Here is Procol Harum in concert in Denmark
- it is an excellent video if you like classical renditions of oldies rock.
With the lyrics you do not have to hum along ;)
Play it the next time you cast bullets to remember the old days....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHgLeA5AEys