PDA

View Full Version : Who is this King of glory?

claude
07-06-2017, 04:05 PM
A Psalm of David.

Psa 24:1 The earth is the LORD'S, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein.
Psa 24:2 For he hath founded it upon the seas, and established it upon the floods.
Psa 24:3 Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? or who shall stand in his holy place?
Psa 24:4 He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully.
Psa 24:5 He shall receive the blessing from the LORD, and righteousness from the God of his salvation.
Psa 24:6 This is the generation of them that seek him, that seek thy face, O Jacob. Selah.
Psa 24:7 Lift up your heads, O ye gates; and be ye lift up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in.
Psa 24:8 Who is this King of glory? The LORD strong and mighty, the LORD mighty in battle.
Psa 24:9 Lift up your heads, O ye gates; even lift them up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in.
Psa 24:10 Who is this King of glory? The LORD of hosts, he is the King of glory. Selah.

Blackwater
07-06-2017, 05:59 PM
What does Selah mean? I've been told, but my rememberer seems to be on strike right now.

And the more I learn about and consider just what God is, and must be, the more awed I become at Him, and I already was in awe of Him from the beginning! I doubt I have the ability to comprehend just how huge and all-powerful and wise He is. But maybe .... could that be the beginning of wisdom regarding Him????

claude
07-06-2017, 07:50 PM
As defined in Strong's concordance.
selâh
seh'-law
From H5541; suspension (of music), that is, pause: - Selah.

Roughly translated in today's vernacular it could be likened to the "pregnant pause" wherein one considers what they have just heard and how it relates to the following verses.

That is the best attempt in shorthand that I can use to transfer the thought from my feeble mind to yours, feeble or not.

Wayne Smith
07-07-2017, 07:51 AM
Actually, all that I've read says we really don't know what 'Selah' means. Best guess is that it is some form of musical notation, but specific meaning is lost to us.

Hogtamer
07-07-2017, 08:44 AM
"Selah" = "stop and think about that for a minute" has always worked for me but that is HRV (Hal's Revised Version.) :-) But Wayne's answer is prolly the technically correct one as much of Psalms was music related. Correlates to modern music scores where notation indicating a rest is inserted for effect.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rest_(music)

claude
07-07-2017, 09:26 AM
Thank you kind sirs.

Blackwater
07-09-2017, 05:58 PM
Thanks to all. I've always tended to read scripture with many pauses, while I try to figure out just what they mean and how they mean it. Words are our best conveyors of meaning, but even they fall short when we're trying to REALLY understand each other, much less something as awesome as God and Christ! I cannot read scripture without feeling very humbled in the process. Maybe I've been utilizing "selah" for a long time, and just didn't know it???