PDA

View Full Version : Best lube for sizing greatly oversized boolits???

RBak
07-06-2017, 03:08 PM
What is the best lube for oversized bullets.
I've been searching the archives for help on this, but I'm not finding what I want.

Is it possible to size down .007 pure lead, or is that asking for too much at one time?
I have done as much as .004 and that was a walk in the park, no problem at all, and all I've ever used was Lee Alox that comes with their push-thru sizers.

I have a couple of presses that should be up to the task, insofar as leverage and strength, but then again, maybe not.
(I have a very old Lyman All American, and a RCBS (I don't know the mdl. but it's the standard big one.) I have those two along with a couple Lee's for smaller dedicated chores just so I don't have to change out and adjust dies all the time.)

I may need to get another larger die in order to step-down that much. but I would like to avoid that cost, and that extra step in sizing, if at all possible.

Russ

swamp
07-06-2017, 03:29 PM
I haven't done that much in one step. But, I have found that the push thru Lee dies do a more even job and better looking than my LEC sizer luber. The latest is a heavy 44 that cast about.004-.005 oversize. I tumble lube prior to sizing, then reg lube or tumble as the mood suits.

swamp

17nut
07-06-2017, 03:31 PM
Panlube first, then size as usual.
With the grooves filled they wont distort under sizing.

swamp
07-06-2017, 03:38 PM

Good advice.

country gent
07-06-2017, 04:49 PM
It can be done in one pass with a special sizer. Make one with 2 sizing rings. the first removes.004 the next .003. These would need to be the length of the bullet apart but most press mounted sizers have the needed length for this type of set up. I would have a 1 1/2* - 2* lead into both rings. The pusher rod would need to be long enough to push the bullet thru both completely. Once the size die is made then the procedure is tumble lube and dip or pan lube then the one pass thru the custom size die. This die will make one pass 2 step sizing as fast and easy as 1 step.

RBak
07-07-2017, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the responses.
I suspect my real question is, is there one lube better than another when it comes down to resizing the hard jobs?

Or, is the Lee Alox about as good as it gets?

Russ

swamp
07-07-2017, 12:41 PM
A 50/50 lanolin-vasaline mix is a great case lube. It should make running a boolit thru a sizer easy. It doesn't take much.

swamp

Reddirt62
07-07-2017, 04:57 PM
My only experience is with alox which works well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

RBak
07-07-2017, 05:30 PM
A 50/50 lanolin-vasaline mix is a great case lube. It should make running a boolit thru a sizer easy. It doesn't take much.

swamp

Thanks Swamp, that's easy enough to do, got 'em both handy and ready to go!

I have heard / read somewhere that STP used very sparingly is often the ticket, but I can't recall the details of using it.....supposedly STP has very high, if not the highest slickest / lubricity properties, without the tearing or shearing of the alloy.
I have no clue as to the truth of that, but I have used STP for lubing brass.

I don't have any Imperial Sizing Lube on hand, but I do have some "Rooster" sizing lube, wonder if anybody has tried either of these for those really tough jobs?

Thanks for the replies.

Russ

swamp
07-07-2017, 05:39 PM
The Lanolin/Vaseline is good to size. Not as a lube for shooting. You will still need to use a regular lube on them. Don't want to mislead or cornfuse.
swamp

RBak
07-07-2017, 06:54 PM
The Lanolin/Vaseline is good to size. Not as a lube for shooting. You will still need to use a regular lube on them. Don't want to mislead or cornfuse.
swamp
Gotcha! Thanks.

Russ...

country gent
07-07-2017, 07:57 PM
Also the light coating of lanolin vasoline might need to be removed before the shooting lube is applied it might keep the other lube from sticking.

Bullwolf
07-07-2017, 08:41 PM

swamp

I use a finger swipe of Bag Balm whenever I have to size down cast boolits by a good amount.

www.bagbalm.com

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41FdukGXInL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It has a Petrolatum Lanolin base.
(read that as Lanolin, and Vaseline Petroleum Jelly basically)

I think of it as pre-mixed Lanolin, and 1 can will last an incredibly long time.

I recently sized down some extremely hard NOE 360-180WFN boolits cast from Mono-type. They were sized down from .364 to .358 in one pass, using just a finger wipe of Bag Balm. It greatly reduces the sizing effort involved.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=195795&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1495068571

Bag Balm is also typically available at your local drug store in most areas, or if you are more rural, at the feed and fuel store.

I've been using Bag Balm for quite a few years now as a case lube, and boolit sizing lube after reading about it here on Cast Boolits. I couldn't be any happier with it.

I even keep a little squeeze tube of "Bag Balm On-The-Go"

http://www.bagbalm.com/images/uploads/SSL_BBTube.jpg

Inside my portable reloading bag, along with my hand press.

http://www.thegunmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/HL-sizing-300x209.jpg

For use as a case lube to help ease the effort required when full length sizing brass, even in conjunction with carbide dies. It's nice on chapped lips, and helps keep your hands soft as well.

- Bullwolf

GhostHawk
07-07-2017, 09:03 PM
Anything with lanolin is good in my experience.

I did not have any vasoline so I ended up making some DIY stuff that is very similar. Coconut oil, beeswax, and olive oil. Then I later got some Lanolin and blended a similar amount in. So roughly equal parts of those 4. Melted in the microwave in a pop bottle with the top cut off, then mixed while it cooled.

Just a smidge works wonders for any sizing, I do full length sizing of my 7.62x54r on my lee hand press with this. Just a smear on a couple of fingers is enough to do a whole box.

Seems to work well in guns as well where you want a lube that won't migrate away. Stays where you put it. I have had no problems with gumming up.

If I was to ever do another batch just for guns I'd probably swap ATF II or III for the olive oil. Ohh did I mention this stuff is good on skin?

RBak
07-07-2017, 09:14 PM
Great stuff! Thanks for all the information!

Russ...

swamp
07-07-2017, 10:10 PM
Anything with lanolin is good in my experience.

I did not have any vasoline so I ended up making some DIY stuff that is very similar. Coconut oil, beeswax, and olive oil. Then I later got some Lanolin and blended a similar amount in. So roughly equal parts of those 4. Melted in the microwave in a pop bottle with the top cut off, then mixed while it cooled.

Just a smidge works wonders for any sizing, I do full length sizing of my 7.62x54r on my lee hand press with this. Just a smear on a couple of fingers is enough to do a whole box.

Seems to work well in guns as well where you want a lube that won't migrate away. Stays where you put it. I have had no problems with gumming up.

If I was to ever do another batch just for guns I'd probably swap ATF II or III for the olive oil. Ohh did I mention this stuff is good on skin?

I use the same ingridiants (different ratio) for lip balm.
swamp

GhostHawk
07-08-2017, 07:57 AM
Yes I have put this into chapstick tubes for my wife. Works great.

I think you can juggle with the amounts to get the consistency you like.

An empty water bottle with the top cut off, put some in, microwave for 1-2 min melts it. Makes it easy to pour into tubes.

Recently got some Hemp and Jojoba oils for chapstick type uses also.
Wife is enjoying playing with colors/flavors.

MT Gianni
07-08-2017, 09:40 AM
At .007 you run the risk of removing lube grooves, even if filled.

RBak
07-08-2017, 12:37 PM
At .007 you run the risk of removing lube grooves, even if filled.

MT Gianni, you're spot on, according to my best measurements.
But that would be just fine with me, and is actually a goal.
That way I can Paper Patch it back up very close to exactly what I want.

I have been told, over the years, that if you have substantial lube grooves exposed after sizing, lubing that bullet, ie filling the lube grooves, then patchin over them is the way to go.
Not sure of the wisdom in that, but I have been doing it for years and it seems to work just fine.
Is it better than patchin over lube grooves without them being filled???

I've done it both ways, and I'm just not sure if it is any better, as I've never noticed any 'remarkable' difference in group size, some argue it is better and give a good argument as to the reasons why, why others say it ain't worth the time and trouble....what's a Mother to do???
To each his own, and the difference IMHO is one of splitting some pretty fine hairs.

I think I'm going to have to break down and buy that second sizer, wish I could do .007 with one die, but I think I was a bit unreasonable for me to think I could make that happen, albeit I'm sure glad I asked the question....ya learn a little something everyday and I've picked up a few nice things right here in this thread.

Russ...

igolfat8
07-25-2017, 09:03 PM
Try Hornady One Shot.

dsh1106
08-05-2017, 11:47 AM
I have sized a 287405 which dropped from the mold at .290 down to .280 to fit my M77.

The lube groves on the 287405 are the same diameter as that of the 280468. It took three passes, 1 @ .287 1 @ .284 and then .280. Make sure you check on the 1 sizing operation. I had size nose 1st on the 2nd and 3rd operations.

DerekP Houston
08-05-2017, 12:17 PM
Try Hornady One Shot.

This is what I use for sizing, though again I haven't done that large of a diameter change before. I found it provides just enough slickness to make resizing a snap.

RBak
08-05-2017, 02:13 PM
I have sized a 287405 which dropped from the mold at .290 down to .280 to fit my M77.

The lube groves on the 287405 are the same diameter as that of the 280468. It took three passes, 1 @ .287 1 @ .284 and then .280. Make sure you check on the 1 sizing operation. I had size nose 1st on the 2nd and 3rd operations.

Thank you dsh1106....I have resigned myself to the fact that three steps is likely the best way to do that much sizing...I had hoped to get away with two, actually even one in the very beginning, but I think three is going to be the "right" answer.
FWIW: Lee Precision has a piece of equipment that is broke down right now, so custom sizers are going to take six to eight weeks until they get that piece of equipment back on line.....

The Lady answering the phone, the Lady with the sweetest voice on earth, briefly mentioned the details, but it was more than this old mind could absorb in the couple of minutes we talked.

Thanks for all the kind replies....."muchly" appreciated! ( I strongly suspect the term muchly appreciated is 10X greater than greatly appreciated.)
The ready reference of hundreds, if not thousands, of such sharp minds, with years of experience, is really hard to beat. I for one am thankful for such a brotherhood. So a big Thank You to all of you.

Respectfully, Russ...

gwpercle
08-05-2017, 05:32 PM
If you have trouble finding the Bag Balm give STP Oil Treatment a try. That stuff is super slick.
I had a bunch of 303 British Enfield cases that had been fired in machine guns, WWII tolerances most have been extremely generous. STP was my last resort and allowed resizing without pulling a rim off. the other "commercial" lubes I tried were all lacking....the STP allowed easy in and easy enough out that I didn't think the rim was going to pull off.
Gary

JeffG
08-07-2017, 06:24 AM

This, fill the grooves first. I've sized from 326 to 314 in one step but definitely need the grooves filled.

6bg6ga
08-07-2017, 06:45 AM
Personally I would rather trade or simply re-cast to the correct size.

pitchfire
08-09-2017, 04:45 PM
You can also get Lansinoh HPA Lanolin in the baby aisle by all the breast pumps.

RBak
08-09-2017, 11:06 PM
You can also get Lansinoh HPA Lanolin in the baby aisle by all the breast pumps.

Geeesh! The things we learn as we go through life!
I have never as much as heard of that before, although I do use Anhydrous Lanolin in several things I do / use.
Gotta look this stuff up.

Thanks a bunch.

Russ...