PDA

View Full Version : I Shoulda Weighed My Pot

Landy88
07-05-2017, 01:53 PM
Having the tare for my pot would allow me to know how much of my current alloy is left in it.

Of course I can add more of the same and it won't matter; but to change alloys without it means emptying the pot first or getting another, rather than simply adding what I need to brew up what I want. Melting from ingots alone is so slow compared to starting with leftovers in the pot, too.

BK7saum
07-05-2017, 02:45 PM
When starting from a clean pot, I always heat my ingots with a small propane torch and let the molten lead flow from the ingot into the pot. Once some lead is melted, the rest melts much quicker as you know.

I also have multiple Lee 20 lb pots with different alloy. Straight WW, Range scrap, 50/50 COWW/pure, etc. That way, I don't have to switch alloys.

Grmps
07-05-2017, 02:53 PM
You can also melt and flux in a small pot on your smelter BUT be extremely careful transferring the molten lead to your pot

ghh3rd
07-05-2017, 03:31 PM
28.375 .... oh not that kind of weighing

Smoke4320
07-05-2017, 04:00 PM

Grams ? :) :)

Oklahoma Rebel
07-06-2017, 05:25 PM
tare? and does anyone know what a lee 20 bottom pour really weigh?

Dusty Bannister
07-06-2017, 05:51 PM
Tare weight /ˈtɛər/, sometimes called unladen weight, is the weight of an empty vehicle or container. By subtracting it from the gross weight (laden weight), the weight of the goods carried (the net weight) may be determined.

Details
SKU 90947
Weight 4.45 lbs

jsizemore
07-06-2017, 06:59 PM
If it's important you could always weigh what you've cast and then refill with that same amount. I pour about 15lbs in each sitting.

Landy88
07-06-2017, 08:23 PM
If it's important you could always weigh what you've cast and then refill with that same amount. I pour about 15lbs in each sitting.

Why didn't I think of that? Thanks.

Even those that I got antsy and loaded already can be tallied because I know their average weight in grains.

2wheelDuke
07-06-2017, 08:46 PM

I was thinking something similar. I don't know if I knew the wrong crowd when I was younger or have spent too much time in my present career.

Walks
07-09-2017, 06:01 PM
When I was a kid my Dad & other family members kept a 100lb plumbers pot going all during casting sessions. They would transfer molten lead with a 5lb ladle to the little POTTER'S 10lb pots. Casting never even slowed down.

williamwaco
07-09-2017, 07:57 PM
I always leave about one inch in the bottom of the pot.

I also save about a half a pot of sprue cuttings and rejected bullets.

Either will start your new session much quicker than ingots.

You can determine quite accurately how much alloy is left in the pot using an abandoned metal tool. When the pot is empty. Place that tool in the pot and mark it where it is even with the rim. Pull it out and add additional markdown at half and quarter positions. When the pot is melted, put your "dipstick" in the pot and measure the depth.

Landy88
07-10-2017, 02:38 AM
I always leave about one inch in the bottom of the pot.

I also save about a half a pot of sprue cuttings and rejected bullets.

Either will start your new session much quicker than ingots.

You can determine quite accurately how much alloy is left in the pot using an abandoned metal tool. When the pot is empty. Place that tool in the pot and mark it where it is even with the rim. Pull it out and add additional markdown at half and quarter positions. When the pot is melted, put your "dipstick" in the pot and measure the depth.

I'm glad that I'm getting some of this right:

> About an inch of metal is left.
> There's about 2/3 a pot of sprue, drip, and reject scrap sitting on the inch.

I'm making that "dipstick" next melt.

Good tip, thanks!

williamwaco
07-10-2017, 11:25 AM
I'm glad that I'm getting some of this right:

> About an inch of metal is left.
> There's about 2/3 a pot of sprue, drip, and reject scrap sitting on the inch.

I'm making that "dipstick" next melt.

Good tip, thanks!

You are "Off to the races."