PDA

View Full Version : Copper and Lead through the Same Gun?

Thundarstick
07-01-2017, 10:49 AM
Not sure where to post this.

Is one just asking for trouble trying this?

centershot
07-01-2017, 11:10 AM
Sure, you can do it, just be absolutely sure to clean out all traces of copper fouling before shooting cast through it.

rond
07-01-2017, 11:36 AM
I do it all the time in my handguns and .22 LRs.

Larry Gibson
07-01-2017, 12:30 PM
If your cast bullets aren't leading switching back and forth generally doesn't hurt. Might have to shoot a few foulers of cast after jacketed before the group settles in. Also the 1st jacketed after cast may not go to group. How much either is affected depends on the accuracy potential of the firearm and the loads themselves. For best accuracy with either clean all the fouling of the other out before shooting the other.

Larry Gibson

williamwaco
07-01-2017, 12:59 PM
If your cast bullets aren't leading switching back and forth generally doesn't hurt. Might have to shoot a few foulers of cast after jacketed before the group settles in. Also the 1st jacketed after cast may not go to group. How much either is affected depends on the accuracy potential of the firearm and the loads themselves. For best accuracy with either clean all the fouling of the other out before shooting the other.

Larry Gibson

+1.

Nobody asked but I also find that when shooting from a bench that the first one or two shots after a powder change with the same bullet will go a few inches wide.

This means a different type of powder. Not just charge weight.

Thundarstick
07-01-2017, 02:46 PM
So it wouldn't be wise to switch around in the field. I guess it makes since, I never switch loads between 22 rifles, so i guess it would hold true for centerfire as well.

MT Gianni
07-01-2017, 03:44 PM
Shoot some and see. I believe the best accuracy comes from continuous use of the same lube and you loose that by switching. How much depends on caliber, pressures and bore condition.

Shiloh
07-01-2017, 04:30 PM
It'll give you a good reason to clean the barrel. Haven't cleaned the barrel in a year. Cleaned the chamber, bolt, and bolt face.Cleaned the muzzle.
Shoots better than I can shoot it.

Shiloh

Tom W.
07-01-2017, 05:30 PM
I shoot mostly at paper at an indoor range. Most of my projectiles are cast wheel weights that I made, but digging around the other day I found several boxes of ammo that I loaded years ago for my Security Six that are 158 gr. Jhp. I don't believe I'm going through any special ritual to shoot one or the other.

MyFlatline
07-01-2017, 05:38 PM
I shoot both in the same outing and never clean the barrel, have never had an issue. That being said, my cast bullets don't lead up my barrels. I've read where folks would recommend shooting some jacketed rounds after shooting lead to help clean the bore, don't know if it works or not tho.

Thundarstick
07-01-2017, 09:02 PM
I definitely am getting leading in my rifle I think I'm still pushing them to hard in this gun.

I shot lead and cast in hand guns all the time an have never encountered a problem, maby the longer barrel makes a difference?

dondiego
07-01-2017, 09:45 PM
You could be running out of lube.

Shiloh
07-02-2017, 09:09 AM
I definitely am getting leading in my rifle I think I'm still pushing them to hard in this gun.

I shot lead and cast in hand guns all the time an have never encountered a problem, maby the longer barrel makes a difference?

How fast, what lube??

SHiloh