PDA

View Full Version : Loaddata.com

TexasGrunt
06-29-2017, 08:53 AM
I've been kicking around the idea of subscribing to loaddata.com But it's a bit expensive for a year. I have to wonder if it's worth it. I've got a pretty decent selection of manuals. All the major J-word manufacturers, four versions of the Lyman, #3 & #4 Lyman Cast, complete Pet Loads, all the powder company manuals and some specialized load books. I've got pretty decent GoogleFu too. I keep an old smartphone on the reloading bench and use it to search for stuff I can't find in my manuals.

What I'm getting into is either light for or heavy for caliber bullets in handguns and/or old Lyman molds that the current books don't cover.

Would the $35 be worth it for me? Or should I just put that towards a new mold?

jmort
06-29-2017, 09:19 AM
I like it and have been using it for many years.
It has most everything including all the Handloader magazine data and Pet Loads and everything else.
I recommend it
I have a lot of print manuals, but this fills in the gaps.
I don't believe the cost is unreasonable for what you get

tazman
06-29-2017, 09:21 AM
Buy the mold. Data can be figured out from studying current loads, and internet searches.
Many of the older molds are covered in older manuals that are available online.
With the heavy for caliber loads, you start low and work up.
Get a chronograph if you don't currently own one.

mdi
06-29-2017, 10:24 AM
How many "new to you" cartridges do you reload? I considered loaddata.com, but at the time I only reloaded cartridges that were somewhat "standard" and when a new powder came out, data was easy to find. With my experience I was able to find/determine loads for heavy for caliber bullets with not much difficulty...

44MAG#1
06-29-2017, 10:34 AM
How much will 35 bucks hurt you? Can you afford it? Im sure it wont hurt you probably.

TexasGrunt
06-29-2017, 10:42 AM
How many "new to you" cartridges do you reload? I considered loaddata.com, but at the time I only reloaded cartridges that were somewhat "standard" and when a new powder came out, data was easy to find. With my experience I was able to find/determine loads for heavy for caliber bullets with not much difficulty...

None.

Powersgt
06-29-2017, 10:47 AM
Get it for a year and down load what you will use. I would keep a binder with the data you will use.

I've had a subscription for the last five years along with the magazines. Nice thing is that it has all published data in one location along with some obscure stuff or Articles from Ken Waters and such. Well worth the money instead of soul searching the internet. I still do internet research but it's my go to sight to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dragon813gt
06-29-2017, 10:52 AM
Personally I scour the internet for load manual. My Dropbox account has 50+ manuals in it. Those are the ones I don't physically own which is a lot. I use Quickload to fill in the gaps. Handloader data hasn't been pressure tested so I don't use it.

44MAG#1
06-29-2017, 10:56 AM
Some of the data has been pressure tested. i know. I am subscribed to it and have been for quite awhile.

dragon813gt
06-29-2017, 06:15 PM
Some is not all. I will work up my own loads. I feel safer doing it that way. Mine obviously aren't pressure tested but they're my guns and I trust my technique.

Blackwater
06-29-2017, 06:25 PM
I once considered it, but the price was too rich for my blood. And really, I have quite a few manuals and free loadbooks I've picked up through the years, and it's doubtful I'll ever encounter a need for data I don't have. I've also learned how to figure out data for myself. I've loaded a few batches that seemed to produce higher pressure than I liked in the gun I had at the time, so load data is NEVER "infallible." The price and lack of real need dissuaded me from subscribing, but I wish the price was lower, and I very well MIGHT subscribe, just out of curiosity, if nothing else. So I've been tempted, but haven't given in.

44MAG#1
06-29-2017, 06:27 PM
One must do what one feels is right for them. But to say all Handloader data hasn't been pressure tested (I assume you mean Loaddata.com) is incorrect. Brian Pierce has data that is Hornady data fired in his guns that cam from Hornady books. Also there is Speer data, Hornady data and some Nosler data. Also there is data there by Hodgdons too. Not to mention some that has been proven by years of use by many people.
If one is scared to use Loaddata.com then don't.

dragon813gt
06-29-2017, 06:48 PM
One must do what one feels is right for them. But to say all Handloader data hasn't been pressure tested (I assume you mean Loaddata.com) is incorrect. Brian Pierce has data that is Hornady data fired in his guns that cam from Hornady books. Also there is Speer data, Hornady data and some Nosler data. Also there is data there by Hodgdons too. Not to mention some that has been proven by years of use by many people.
If one is scared to use Loaddata.com then don't.

No, I said Handloader which is what I meant. To insinuate I am scared says a lot about your character. I'm younger so haven't been following Handloader from the beginning. But the issues I have are full of loads that aren't pressure tested. They didn't use my guns or my components so the loads are no different then those posted on the internet. Everyone is free to do as they wish. I'm perfectly fine w/ developing my own loads even if it means going down the path that others have done before.

44MAG#1
06-29-2017, 07:00 PM
Regardless there is data for the 44 Special by Brian Pierce on Loaddata.com that was published in HANDLOADER that was pressure tested which is a "good to have" item if one ever intends to own a 44 Special .
Do as you wish because I will continue to use Loaddata.com ocassionally . Like you said your experience carries you forward and mine carries me forward. Still there is some data posted in HANDLOADER that is pressure tested.

jmort
06-29-2017, 08:10 PM
I think Brian Pearce is a great firearms writer. I absolutely trust any of his loads. Let's be real, he is far and above most any member we have here. He writes and I listen. Let's simplify this thread, don't subscribe. I will continue to subscribe.

Bzcraig
06-29-2017, 11:00 PM
I used Loadata for 3 years but found there just wasn't enough there for me to continue. I keep my load books and notes at my reloading bench (I have no laptop there) so I just wasn't using it. I feel like with what I have in print and have learned here I'm in pretty good shape.

44MAG#1
06-29-2017, 11:06 PM
It isn't that a person needs it but at 9.58 cents a day what would the problem be? Most of use spends more than that on candy and what not a day.

Powersgt
06-29-2017, 11:24 PM
As I looked at some of the replies, it got me thinking about the cost; so I went back and tried to find the actual cost. If memory serves me, it's only $19.95 a year. I don't believe you have to get the magazine subscription with it; I'm charged two different fees.

That being said, there is more then just generic load data posted. I have used it for shotgun data, odd caliber as well as standard stuff. They list all the manufacturers data (powder, bullet and loading equipment,) articles by professional writers and respected authors.

Plus their is monthly articles written that are not in the publications, tables and charts. All this in a single location. Hell, if you are a user of LEE data, your getting a similar but less product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmort
06-29-2017, 11:42 PM
I pay $35 per year

TexasGrunt
06-30-2017, 09:05 AM
If it were $20 a year I'd be on it. $35 just seems to stick in my craw a bit.

gtgeorge
06-30-2017, 09:39 AM
Yes for $20 I would have joined as well. I am sure they would have a LOT more subscribers at that price point as well but only they know what they need to charge to provide the service. It took me a long time to finally break down and order QuickLoad and wish I had earlier. Anything that helps dial a load in faster with less trial and error pays for itself along the way.

mdi
06-30-2017, 12:00 PM
I think there is no reason, pro or con, to get loaddata.com. It is a tool that if one wants to use it and there's no fret about $35, then yes get it. I am a life long machinist/mechanic and I have tools (both hardware, hand tools and software, books, manuals, videos) that are not necessarily needed to do my job/hobby. But I wanted them, even if their use was a one time thing. So, if you want loaddata.com, get it and no need to justify your choice...:mrgreen:

Powersgt
06-30-2017, 06:17 PM
I pay $35 per year

Your right, I checked and I do pay $29.95 a year, mixed up with my subscription for three online magazines.