PDA

View Full Version : Got Jojoba oil---now what ?

gray wolf
07-25-2008, 05:52 PM
OK__OK__ So I spent a little money and got some Jojoba oil. :)
It is probably over kill for my 45 ACP But I had to have it. Now I don't want to waste it. :roll: I have some new bees wax, petro. jelly, olive oil, and lanolin.
Will the jojoba oil work by itself if it is just mixed with the bees wax and a little crayon for color ? What is the best way to mix this for my 45 ACP ? I shoot about 8 to 900 F.P.S
If it would work with just the bees wax that would be great.
Don't ball me out --just a little help for this old
got to make it better tinker, tinker casting type of guy.

GW

:Fire: :drinks:

Maven
07-25-2008, 07:08 PM
gw, It will probably work well when mixed with beeswax. However, it is also a good patch lube for muzzle loaders when using black powder or Pyrodex.

gray wolf
07-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Thank you that's good to know. I do shoot black powder.
I hope I can come up with the right amount of the oil to add to my Bees wax.

GW.

shooter93
07-25-2008, 08:09 PM
If you can get hold of Charlie dell's work...he wrote a book on Schutzen shooting....he did tremendous work on lubes. Mostly on low velocity stuff but has a lot of information on lube ingredients. Charlie was a real experimenter...his tests were very extensive and his results conclusive. He made all kinds od devices to test things with...primers and all kinds of things. his thoughts on barrel bulging and it's causes ae great. His book is available from the Cast Bullet Association and Buffalo arms is any are left. Expensive...yes...worth every penny.

ra_balke
07-25-2008, 10:38 PM
The truth is, bees wax, mixted with just about any organic oil will work pretty well.

What you need to do, is keep the mineral oil out of the mix.

Why ? I dunno.... I read it in the CBA journal many years ago.

It seems to me a good bullet lube could be made by using peanut oil ( it is a HI temp oil ) then mixing it hot with some flakes of Ivory soap. Then when mixted, add your bees wax.

If you want your lube hard, add more bees wax, if you want it soft, add more peanut oil.

Truth is, cast bullets are normally good for about 2200 fps, so any lube that works at higher velosities is a rather moot point.

Lloyd Smale
07-26-2008, 06:09 AM
dont know about that. theres a bunch of pretty dediated cast bullet shooters here, me included that use felix lube which has mineral oil in it.
The truth is, bees wax, mixted with just about any organic oil will work pretty well.

What you need to do, is keep the mineral oil out of the mix.

Why ? I dunno.... I read it in the CBA journal many years ago.

It seems to me a good bullet lube could be made by using peanut oil ( it is a HI temp oil ) then mixing it hot with some flakes of Ivory soap. Then when mixted, add your bees wax.

If you want your lube hard, add more bees wax, if you want it soft, add more peanut oil.

Truth is, cast bullets are normally good for about 2200 fps, so any lube that works at higher velosities is a rather moot point.

Bass Ackward
07-26-2008, 07:46 AM
OK__OK__ So I spent a little money and got some Jojoba oil. :)
It is probably over kill for my 45 ACP But I had to have it. Now I don't want to waste it. :roll: I have some new bees wax, petro. jelly, olive oil, and lanolin.
Will the jojoba oil work by itself if it is just mixed with the bees wax and a little crayon for color ? What is the best way to mix this for my 45 ACP ? I shoot about 8 to 900 F.P.S
If it would work with just the bees wax that would be great.
Don't ball me out --just a little help for this old
got to make it better tinker, tinker casting type of guy.

GW

:Fire: :drinks:

Wow. Using Jojoba for 8-900 fps is kinda like shooting silver bullets.

Course the fella that did that got a TV contract. So add the Jojoba and pick a good stage name. :grin:

Need a side kick, I work cheap. :grin:

Sprue
07-26-2008, 08:22 AM
You bought all those ingredients and didn't have any recipes in mind?

I second what Bass Ack says, jojoba oil ain't cheap around here. It was about 30 bucks for 4 oz or less, priced at one of those heath food stores. Maybe thats how its name came about: holy jojoba !

Have you not visited the homemade lubes section in this forum?

Felix works good for me and Mineral Oil is one of those ingredients

Have fun

gray wolf
07-26-2008, 08:56 AM
WOW !! I guess you have to be real careful how you word things---my bad.
No I did not by all those things without a plan in mind.I had all the things around the house from other uses. All I bought was 4 OZ.
of the Jojoba oil for 9 bucks. Hey it don't make me a bad guy :) All I asked was ''will the jojoba and bees wax work ?''

GW.

Bass Ackward
07-26-2008, 02:38 PM
WOW !! All I asked was ''will the jojoba and bees wax work ?''

GW.

Ahhhhhh .... YEP! :grin:

Maven
07-26-2008, 02:51 PM
"The truth is, bees wax, mixed with just about any organic oil will work pretty well. What you need to do, is keep the mineral oil out of the mix."

Several comments about this: (1) Can't argue with the beeswax + [almost] any organic oil lube idea as I use home brewed Emmert's for my BP cartridge shooting*. (2) No to mineral oil: This one I have problems with. I used it (market brand Baby Oil) as a BP patch lube years ago and had no problems with fouling or accuracy to speak of. Also, I've substituted Felix Lube for Emmert's for BP loads in my Marlin #336 (Microgroove) and had no catastrophes, save the need to swab the bbl. after 5 - 7 shots even with a blow tube. By contrast, using Emmert's alone practically doubled the no. of shots I could take without needing to swab. It seems to me the petroleum-based BP lube taboo could benefit from some serious scientific study (experimental design, quantifiable reproducible data, independent confirmation of results) rather than anecdotal or experiential reporting. Btw, I am most assuredly NOT criticizing any of those who commented in this thread.

*It never occurred to me to try it as a patch lube as I've always had good luck with Winchester Sutler's "Moose Milk" (original formulation), 1 Ballistol : 6 water, and lately, Stumpy's Moose Snot. (Google it.)

club123
09-25-2017, 01:49 AM
Hello!

There are so many uses of jojoba oil and also it's beneficial for skin and hair

Face Moisturizer

Apply four to six drops in the morning and around evening time before bed.

Hair Moisturizer

Add three to five drops to your conditioner or apply one to two drops to moist hair in the wake of showering.

Expel Wrinkles

Utilize one to three drops of jojoba oil and apply it to wrinkled regions, at that point rub it into your skin in a roundabout movement until the point when it's consumed.

Cosmetics Removal

Add three to five drops of jojoba oil to a cotton ball or cushion and wipe off cosmetics.

Lip Balm

Apply one to two drops of jojoba oil to your lips at whatever point required.

Battle Infections

Add one to three drops of jojoba oil to the contaminated or bothered range twice every day.

Thanks

Tea tree essential oil for hair (https://ryaal.com/products/ryaal-tea-tree-essential-oil)

17nut
09-25-2017, 12:37 PM
One thing all y'all have overlooked is jojo is temp sensitive!
Drop below 10degC~50degF and it solidifies.
So a good winter grease will probably turn snotty in the summer and the other way.

country gent
09-25-2017, 12:57 PM
I use JoJoBa oil straight from the bottle on my BPCR PP bullets. A drop on finger and thumb wipe patch on 3-5 bullets then remove excess with a patch and hand seat themIts just enough to give a shine to the paper ( not to the translucent point). It takes a very small amount to do a lot of patches. Recovered patches look good with a confetti outer layer and the base wrap showing engraving and the fold under intact. I may try a small amount in my next batch of emmerets. I believe like canola oil and some of the other vegetable plant based oils this was a "steam" oil meant for humid wet conditions. It is very slippery on the fingers. I put a drop on index and middle finger along with the thumb and roll the patched bullet between them I do 3-5 bullets depending on caliber and length setting them on the bases then wipe with a cleaning patch in the same order to remove excess. I hand seat them into the charged cases after wiping the second time.
I'm interested to see what results you get in other uses for lube.

I would consider this to start
50% beeswax
40% Crisco unsalted shortening
5% canola oil
3% anahydrous lanolin
2% JoJoBa oil
This would be a slightly modified emmerts improved blend and should work well with BP or lower velocity rounds. I don't think you will need a lot of the jojoba oil in the mix to see the benefits.

Yodogsandman
09-25-2017, 01:05 PM
http://www.lasc.us/Kelter_Lube_Ingrediants.pdf