PDA

View Full Version : just an idea

Gungrubber
07-25-2008, 03:51 PM
I was thinkin this mornin about the various uses us boolit makers have for
oven's. meltin lube, heat treating boolits, and such.

Was walkin thru the thrift store and had a pretty good idea. got me a used toaster oven. Came with a little tray. Has a temp control, Has a timer, Can be toted around and used at any handy outlet. And for you married folks your other half won't be chewin your ear about messin it up. Works great for meltin lube Got some small metal pans. all ya gotta do is figgure out temp and time and you get a perfect melt
and a little bell when it's ready.

Same for boolit treating set your temp set your time and when the bell goes off it's done.

So what you boolit gurus think? Good idea?

GG

copdills
07-25-2008, 03:55 PM
Smart Idea, me thinks

GabbyM
07-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Great Idea.
Never thought of melting lube in mine. Duh
I've used mine for heat treat once. It seamed the bullets needed more time at tempuature in the little oven than my gas stove oven. Since they came out not as hard. Mine is just a little four slice bread toaster.

870TC
07-25-2008, 04:14 PM
I've read of people using a toaster oven for heat treating bullets, on another forum. The only complaint listed was the "toasters" thermometer was not real accurate, so they made a hole for a casting thermometer to slide into it from the side.

JeffinNZ
07-25-2008, 04:40 PM
I have a bench top oven/toaster/grill for heat treating. They are very poorly insulated and the temp used to flucuate something terrible until I encased it in fire proof board. Now it works GREAT. And YES, the temp controls on the ovens are nigh on worthless.

Gungrubber
07-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Well seems the one I got has some pretty good insulation and an ok temp control

but even better I found an old table top convection oven. (a giant toaster oven with a fan to circulate the air) and it works great

and it sure takes a lot less time to heat up than the big oven.

GG

AZ-Stew
07-26-2008, 08:21 PM
Bought one (Black and Decker Toast-R-Oven Classic that sells at Wally-World for $30) at a yard sale several months ago for about $10. Haven't used it yet for heat treat, but have always planned to use my digital thermometer to set the temperature. No neet to drill holes. The thermocouple wire will snake in almost anywhere.

Regards,

Stew

Razor
07-27-2008, 01:31 AM
Excellent Idea..
I'm gonna get one...
The wife complains that Randrats beeswax stinks up her kitchen..
Can you imagine !! :roll:
(I think the woman is a latent communist heathen or somthin')

My ''big-book-o-words'' says a communist heathen is anyone who doesn't agree with me..[smilie=1:

Razor
:castmine:

Southern Son
07-27-2008, 04:03 AM
Razor, mine made me buy a cheapo microwave after my BPCR lube had a little spill in the good microwave in the kitchen. She also made me put it out in the garage because of the smell. I think that here obsessive compulsive ways are showing.

Shuz
07-27-2008, 11:22 AM
Gungrubber--I've used a toaster oven to heat treat rifle boolits for years now. Works real well, but I use an oven thermometer to set the temperature and once it's set, I turn the oven off and on by "pulling the plug". Those toaster oven temperature controls are not accurate. Most ovens have a glass window, and if you can, mount a thermometer so you can watch the temperature fluctuate slightly as the oven cycles on and off. That way you can set your toaster control so that it stays between 450 and 475F.

AZ-Stew
07-28-2008, 03:27 AM
For melting beeswax and other boolit lube materials, I use a soda can with the top cut off, hold it with vise-grips and heat it with a hobby shop heat gun, the type sold to shrink the covering on model airplanes. You can easily get the wax melted without getting it so hot that it smokes and smells.

Regards,

Stew