PDA

View Full Version : trip suggestions

Battis
06-27-2017, 12:33 AM
We're flying into South Dakota in August, then after seeing Deadwood, Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore, Badlands, etc, we're driving up to Minot, ND to visit our son before he gets deployed.
Any suggestions on what to see or do in ND? I've been to Wyoming, Montana and Utah (God's Regions) but never North or South Dakota.
I'm looking forward to it.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-27-2017, 10:58 AM
western SD gets real busy in the first half of August.
http://sturgismotorcyclerally.com/

RGrosz
06-27-2017, 12:47 PM
I've heard that T. Roosevelt National park is something to see. Also drop down to Hot springs SD, The Mammoth dig is really something. Of course there are other tourist traps along the way. Most of the Missouri River dams are a sight to see too.
Rob

beezapilot
06-27-2017, 02:07 PM
Did the Roosevelt park in 2010 (granted a long time ago, but it sure don't seem it), ended up renting horses in the park and I rode with a small herd of buffalo!!! Felt like a kid in a Zane Grey novel- pretty cool feeling, that!!!!!

runfiverun
06-27-2017, 10:19 PM
the southwest corner of North Dakota is worth seeing and is on your way up from deadwood on HWY 85.
you'll see the rest of it on your way to Minot AFB.
[go to Minot and turn right]

tinsnips
06-27-2017, 11:06 PM
I live 25 miles from T. Roosevelt Nation Park it is worth going threw . It is located in the town of Medora a tourist town.If you come up from South Dakota you will hit I 94 interstate at a town called Belfield go west for 15 miles an you are in Medora. Also stop at Painted Canyon rest area it over looks the badlands, nice. It is awful dry here this year.

Battis
06-27-2017, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'm adding all these to The List.

Duckiller
06-28-2017, 02:01 AM
Vary near Mt. Rushmore is a So. Dak. State park. It is on the main road to Rapid City, I think. From memory if you are just driving through you go for free. If you are stopping in the park or looking at park stuff you pay a small fee. They have a herd o fBison, about 1500 animals. State harvests and sell animals to keep the numbers under control. A very nice state park. Has a lodge where Calvin Coolidge stayed. When we were there saw a single bison wandering along the road. Daughter was driving and wife was in front passenger seat. She rolled her window down and offered the opinion that Bison didn't bathe often enough or very much. This is a very nice park worth wandering through also saw Big Horn Sheep. Also in the ares of Rushmore and Crazy Horse is Wind Caves National Park. A very interesting hole in the ground. Stalagmites and stalactites. For an extra fee they offer a 2-3 mile guided tour through the caves. I have serious claustrophobia So I didn't even think about the tour. Standard entrance and elevator tour didn't bother me and was quite interesting. Wife , daughter, daughter's friend and I had very good time in area. Don't think we paid to get close to Crazy Horse ,but we did visit the Visitors center. 0Believe daughter and friend got rocks from the sculpture. Enjoy your trip and visit with your son.

Battis
06-28-2017, 06:19 AM
We'll check out the caves. I won't go in but my wife will.
Gotta see bison, the coolest animal on earth. We were in Yellowstone last year and we came on a group of people staring into the trees, snapping photos. There was a moose not far off, and although you could only see a small part of it, people were excited. Now, I like moose - we see them alot in Maine and New Hampshire, but bison/buffalo - there's a beast. Big, brave, majestic.
We visited my son in FLA when he got his "wings", but FLA is not my favorite place (too hot). We didn't visit him in Louisiana, but I'm looking forward to SD & ND. He likes ND.
We definitely have to see Salem Sue.

Duckiller
06-28-2017, 10:28 PM
Battis, you may want to rethink visiting the caves. I am extremely claustrophobic, have to be totally knocked out for an MRI. You go down in elevators to rooms that didn't bother me. These rooms were very interesting and large enough to not bother me. Do what you want but enjoy your trip.

lefty o
06-28-2017, 10:33 PM
im not into touristy ****, but stopping to blast prarie dogs for a few days is highly recommended.

Battis
06-28-2017, 11:34 PM
I have to get drugged to fly - not from a fear of heights but the claustrophobia. I'd do better sitting on the wing than in the cabin. I toured the Luray Caverns in VA long ago and that wasn't bad - maybe I'll check out the Wind Caves.
I don't hunt, but I'd like to try some long distance shooting.

waksupi
06-29-2017, 02:45 PM
You could stop in North Dakota to see Sitting Bull's grave, and South Dakota to see Sitting Bull's burial site. Confused the hell out of me when I saw it on the map first time.

onceabull
06-29-2017, 03:30 PM
During one of several trips to the Black Hills,I slowed down for a sharp downhill curve about 3 Miles N. of "silent Cal's"vacation spot, glad I did becuz there were two fine Bighorn rams still on the pavement on the downhill side,they were gracious enuff about it to stand there on the berm for a primo photo op.AT the right time of year,there is some decent fishing in the black Hills area...we came to prefer staying in Hill City or Spearfish (as opposed to Keystone or Custer)..enjoy, !! Onceabull

LUCKYDAWG13
07-03-2017, 09:08 PM
During one of several trips to the Black Hills,I slowed down for a sharp downhill curve about 3 Miles N. of "silent Cal's"vacation spot, glad I did becuz there were two fine Bighorn rams still on the pavement on the downhill side,they were gracious enuff about it to stand there on the berm for a primo photo op.AT the right time of year,there is some decent fishing in the black Hills area...we came to prefer staying in Hill City or Spearfish (as opposed to Keystone or Custer)..enjoy, !! Onceabull

I must have been on the road the same day I remember seeing Big Rams just outside of Hill city Me and my brothers were on a hunting trip
and were staying at a motel in Hill city good eats at the Alpine INN good German food

Plate plinker
07-03-2017, 10:36 PM
+1 Custer state park outside rapid city SD. Also the caves are there too.