PDA

View Full Version : Will this work?

Gussy
07-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Will this work and does anyone care????

Been thinking again and that usually gets me in trouble.

It's the old steel BB in the nose of a cast bullet thing for expansion. What if you dropped the BB into the nose of the mould and then put one of those new super magnets under it to hold it in place while pouring? Might need a brass or aluminum mould for it to work best.

My big BPCR moulds have the nose cut very close to the edge. The magnet would have a good hold there. I'm always thinking about using them for hunting as they shoot better in most cases.

GabbyM
07-25-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm wondering if the heat would kill the magnet?

madcaster
07-25-2008, 11:36 AM
I do not see why it should NOT work,it's experiments that lead to improvements in all aspects of life!
While this is not traditional,I see no reason for it to be dangerous,but AS YOU KNOW,handloading IS an individual responsibility!
Now as to LEGAL ramifications,you may want to check into that before you proceed.

yondering
07-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Just some thoughts here, as I've experimented with similar stuff but not this exact thing:

In a solid nose with a steel BB in the tip, you would probably have to cast soft nose boolits anyway. Even then, you may get less expansion than with a plain soft nose. Just guessing here though.

The more traditional method of putting a BB or small shot in the nose of a hollow point works because the BB can be driven down into the hollow point on impact, and initiate expansion. Filling the HP with grease, etc can help with this. On a solid nose, there's nowhere for the BB to go, so it may not help any.

Not saying you shouldn't try it, you probably couldn't hurt anything, and I'd be interested in hearing your results.

The Forster hollow pointer tool works pretty well if you want just a few hollow points for hunting, and you could try putting the BB's in those hollow points.

Taking it to the next level, instead of a BB, how about those plastic tips that Nosler, Sierra, and Hornady use in their varmint bullets? I don't know if the tips are available anywhere, but you could insert one of those into your hollow point boolit, maybe with grease or some liquid in the cavity, and have a rapid expansion, high ballistic coefficient cast boolit.

waksupi
07-25-2008, 01:15 PM
I remember Kevin Fire doing this on one of the previous boards. I believe he used a .338 Win for the chambering. Apparently it worked well on deer. I'd just as soon have the nice wide nose to do the work.

runfiverun
07-25-2008, 01:24 PM
i have seen a thread on this board also but no test results.
after all the drilling and junk i did over this winter.
i'm gonna do like waksupi and use a nice flat nose.

MT Gianni
07-25-2008, 09:48 PM
I have cast soft nose with a 32 rb for the nose. The mold must be perfectly level through the cooling process using the BruceB method to have an even nose. I can see problems in the casting, adherence issues between lead and BB, and an unbalanced boolit if the BB was not perfectly centered. Centering it in the cavity may be trouble. Try it and report please. Gianni.

docone31
07-25-2008, 09:55 PM
I can understand the theory behind all this. What I also see, is me, getting burned, lousey castings, and wondering if it is worth it.
I had a book years ago. I wonder which one it was, that showed two molds making one boolitt.
One mold made the nose casting of soft lead. The other was the main mold. The nose casting had a shaft which looked like a small rivet. It was then placed into the mold and the melt was poured onto it. It has a bevel which locked the casting into place.
I can see that in a 500gn 45/90. At least it would be large enough to handle hot.
To me, a flat nose would be the ultimate for the calibers I use when I hunt. Perhaps a slight concavity, slight.
Two part castings?
I leave that to the experts.