PDA

View Full Version : Mowery Rifles - parts?

bedbugbilly
06-26-2017, 08:16 PM
Does anyone know offhand if Deer Creek still has any parts for the Mowery Rifles? I know . . . give them a call . . but I was just curious if anyone has had any contact with them recently and knows if they have Mowery parts?

I purchased one of the earlier iron frame Mowery Rifles a while back - fantastic curly maple stockf and a really nice 50 caliber barrel with a pristine bore. However, being one of the early models, the tumbler is supported only where it extends through the action on the right side where the hammer is installed on it. Like many, it has b3ce a little "sloppy" - all of which could have been avoided if they had been engineered and made with the later tumblers that had a pivot post that went through the inspection pate on the other side - but, it is what it is.

I don't have access to a vertical mill or I would rework the action to take care of that - to hire it done I'm sure would be a number of $$. If I could find a new tumbler, or one of the improved tumblers, then I would switch it out and probably put a bushing where the tumbler stem goes through the right side of the frame.

Unfortunately, this is one of the "weak spots" on these rifles and it has been known for a long time. At this point, I'm struggling whether to pull the barrel and build a new rifle using one of Pecatonica's "Allen Box Locks" and "part out" the remainder of the rifle or try to fix it. While the Allen box lock is pricey - $250 - I have some nice curly maple that would be a good stock blank for a build so that's an alternative to fixing the Mowery. If it isn't fixed, no matter how good the barrel is, the action will only get worse as the tumbler continues to wear and hammer alignment with the nipple get worse.

Thanks for anyone who has a Mowery and may have faced the same issue - greatly appreciated.

tunnug
06-27-2017, 12:50 AM
About a year ago I bought a horseshoe mainspring from them for my friends brass framed Mowry, got an extra one for a just in case, so, about a year ago they still had parts.

tunnug
06-27-2017, 12:54 AM
About a year or so ago I got a horseshoe mainspring for my friends brass framed Mowry, got an extra one for a just in case, so, they had parts a year or so ago, I got a catalog from them before ordering parts, don't remember if I called them or found it on a website.

tunnug
06-27-2017, 12:59 AM
Don't know what happened, first post disappeared, posted again with additional info, that also disappeared, re-freshed and both posts appeared, tried to edit and it wouldn't let me..................weird.

bedbugbilly
06-27-2017, 08:15 AM
tunnug - thanks - I'll hunt their number up today and give them a call. Don't worry about the multiple posts - sometimes my wife has to tell me things several times before I "tune in"! LOL ;-) Appreciate your response!

Jim

Boz330
06-28-2017, 04:33 PM
Just got my Muzzle Blast yesterday and the Deer Creek add says that they still carry some of the Mowrey parts.

Bob

bedbugbilly
06-28-2017, 06:29 PM
Thanks Bob - I got held up with some "honey do" chores - will call them tomorrow. Appreciate the info!

Jim

Newtire
06-29-2017, 10:22 PM
Same here, got some horseshoe springs about a year ago.