PDA

View Full Version : Clay Pidgeons Price Increase!

mtgrs737
07-25-2008, 12:43 AM
I don't know if this is the place or not, but it is the only shotgun thread on the forum. I noticed that Wally World increased it's blue rock price from $7.67 per 90 target box to $9.99. I stopped in at Dick's Sporting goods and they still had the old price of $6.99 per 90 target box, so I stocked up. Those of you that like to throw targets might do the same, it's like getting two free with every 5 you buy. I suppose it is the Pitch in the targets that is driving up the cost. Who know for sure these days!

Clay targets are the only product that I buy that I hope I break every one of them! :Fire: :drinks:

Johnch
07-25-2008, 09:00 PM
My guess not only the pitch
But also
The price of fuel
Those things are heavy and they have to pay for the fuel surcharge somehow

John

EMC45
07-30-2008, 06:03 AM
There are petroleum byproducts in clays aren't there?

mtgrs737
07-30-2008, 09:41 AM
Yes, Pitch or tar has gone up a lot in the last year. Asphalt has increased also. Avid clay target throwers should find a store with old prices and stock up.

Johnch
07-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Our club just bought a semi load the other night

Have to see how much they went up

Just looked at the last box I have
Listed as bio degradable
Don't have the warnings on the box any more about hogs

Maybe they went away from pitch ?

John

TaylorTN
08-01-2008, 09:29 AM
The White Flyer Bio targets are a made with a plant-based starch product instead of the asphalt pitch. They're not any cheaper but do make a good white puff when you center one in the pattern, where the pitch targets made black smoke.

just my $0.02 from working at a club that also was a distributor of White Flyer targets.........

cabezaverde
08-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Jonch,

What does your club charge to shoot 25 targets (trap or skeet)?

Our club is having it's monthly meeting Wednesday, and some of the members are up in arms because the board is proposing raising the price from $2.00.

Scrounger
08-05-2008, 02:12 PM
$2 ?????
When I last shot in California 5 years ago, they were the cheapest place I knew of at $6.25 per round. When i first started in the late 60s, it was $1.25 a round. But that's California for you....

cabezaverde
08-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Our club has many older shooters on fixed income, and they oppose these things like you were killing their babies.

The club has not raised their shooting fees for at least 12 years that I have been a member. Now the board is talking about going to $3.00, and you should hear the screaming.

I am going to suggest they look at $3.00 for regular members and $2.50 for seniors. I will probably get run out of town on a rail.

Scrounger
08-05-2008, 02:38 PM
One thing my club used to do was give quantity discounts, pay for ten tickets, get twelve. Didn't hurt the club too much, you can always count on some scheisskopf losing some of his tickets, but it makes some people happy and allows a price increase.. I'm 67 years old but senior citizens give me a pain I have to sit on. Most senior citizens are better off than most young families with kids and schools etc... We should just consider ourselves lucky instead of demanding more privileges from people who can't afford it.

Johnch
08-05-2008, 07:11 PM
We shoot trap
The first of the year we went to $3.50 for non members and $3.00 for members if you by a 10 round punch card
Otherwise it is $4.00 and $3.50 a round

I was told we will be raising the cost again in Jan
As we are the cheapest or the same as the cheapest around

Got to pay to play

John

sundog
08-05-2008, 08:45 PM
What is it with people (shotgun shooters) who think that their per round fee should NEVER increase. Being on a fixed income has NO bearing on the financial operation of a club. I've been through this so many times it's almost sickening. If you can't afford to shoot, don't. That is not the fault of the club!

In fact, we have a couple of guys at our club who vehemently swear that the shotgun venues have 'carried' the club for years, when in fact they cost almost as much to operate as they bring in. All they look at is the income side. Then they go stir up up a bunch of **** with the other shotgun shooters and the fight is on.

I'm on the budget committee, former direct, chairman, treasurer. The guys that stir up crap are a bunch of prima donna effing buttholes that don't know come here from sic'um and want everyone to believe. Why should a rifle or pistol shooter subsidize a round of trap or skeet for another club member who doesn't want to pay his own way. And these guys show up with $20K shotguns! ***!

Y'all think ya hit a raw nerve?

I enjoy a round of clay targets as much as anyone, but I don't want some other poor slob paying my way. Can't afford it? Stay home.

cabezaverde
08-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Sundog,

If your location wasn't shown, I would think you are a member at my club.

These guys have come up with a solution of raising the rates for a rifle pistol membership to help meet the operating expenses. And you described their attitude perfectly!

sundog
08-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Yeah, we even had one guy (blithering idiot) actually suggest that the rifle and pistol shooters should pay a daily range fee, because he had to pay for his rounds of trap. We already pay a fairly hefty annual dues that is supposed to (and does) cover operation -- of the whole club site. Telling him that everyone has target costs doesn't seem to deter him. My target is twenty cents or free (or reusable steel like for pistol shooters), and with a pack of pasters I can shoot for quite awhile. Rifle and pistol matches NET more than enough money to up keep those ranges (which helps keep dues at bay). But because he has to pay for every round, he thinks everyone else should. What kinda crap is that? And on top of that, the scattergun area with two clubhouses uses more utilities than anyone else. When we raised the smoke screen and exposed it for what it was there we a lot of pissed off people - mostly shotgunners. When they run a match just about all their profit goes out for 'prizes' and other expenses and the club makes a little bit sometimes. Last skeet match actually lost money. Understandably that can happen occasionally because of weather mostly. That's not that big a problem. But when a venue is purposely built to pay out everything it takes in, something is wrong.

Oh, and the excuse is that if the pay out is not big enough, no one will show up.

Duh!

Stay home.

cabezaverde
08-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Exactly the same crap at mine - and I hate to say this - but it is mostly the senior citizens. And some of them are shooting Perazzi shotguns and driving real nice cars.

The working class guys that want to teach their kids to shoot or practice for duck season roll with the punches.

crowbeaner
08-06-2008, 09:48 PM
My club bought a truckload of clays this spring and we unloaded them by hand to make sure all were in good condition. Our round fee is $2.50 if you supply the shells, and $10 if you don't. Since Wally World just raised the price of AAs to $7.57 per box, I don't see what the claybusters are complaining about. The gas to get their fat A$$es to the range is $4.20 a gallon. What is the problem, children? Some guy showed up with a $10K Perazzi and threw a fit because he forgot his shells? I shoot my reloads, and the $60 a bag for shot is more of a concern to me. I bought a shotmaker; all I have to do now is get the time to run the bleeping thing; between boolit making and reloading I'm stretched out. Primers have doubled in the past 5 years, wads are way overpriced at Gander Mtn., and I'm buying once fired hulls to save what I can. That BMW the guy with the Perazzi throwing a fit just doesn't concern me. He obviously never grew up. Maybe the sun is making his Grecian Formula haircoloring run into his eyes causing him to miss his 20th clay. HMMM. Why in Hades don't they put 100 effing targets in the box instead of 90? That's 4 rounds even! Do they really think nobody can count?

dakotashooter2
09-08-2008, 03:03 PM
I salvage mine from the local trap club. About 3 times a year I go cruise the perimeter of the range and pick up any unbroken clays. They can't/don't use them so I figure why not. Usually as long as the edge isn't cracked they fly fine even with a few chips. I figure I get about 10% breakage when I throw them but for free I can live with that. I usually manage to sratch up a few boxes worth of once fired hulls at the same time.

pumpguy
09-08-2008, 03:43 PM
One thing my club used to do was give quantity discounts, pay for ten tickets, get twelve. Didn't hurt the club too much, you can always count on some scheisskopf losing some of his tickets, but it makes some people happy and allows a price increase.. I'm 67 years old but senior citizens give me a pain I have to sit on. Most senior citizens are better off than most young families with kids and schools etc... We should just consider ourselves lucky instead of demanding more privileges from people who can't afford it.

Tell me again why you're a democrat????:-D