PDA

View Full Version : A New Source for 7.5 Swiss Brass/Ammo

jethrow strait
11-12-2005, 11:17 AM
"Wolf Gold" anyone??? They just came out with their so-called premium rifle ammo @$7-9 mit boxer primed brass at Cheaper than Dirt, which is usually higher than everybody else. Same Yugo/Serbian cases as Partisan and Graf in the past. Got a few boxes, but haven't shot them yet. They also have a full power 8mm SP load and a couple 6.5 Swede loadings, the latter just might use the correct size brass, unlike Remchester.----jethrow

jh45gun
11-16-2005, 05:21 AM
Whats wrong with Remington/Winchester 6.5x55 brass?? I use it and I have seen no problems?

Shepherd2
11-16-2005, 08:46 AM
Jethrow - I'd like to hear about the 6.5x55 brass also. I've always used Winchester brass and have always had a feeling that something was not quite right. Thought maybe it was the chamber in my Swede. I just bought another 100 Winchester. I'm kind of prejudiced against Remington brass so I've never tried their 6.5X55 cases.

jethrow strait
11-16-2005, 10:13 PM
Amazing what kind of crap the big boys can get away with, but then SAAMI is their professional association. Folks on the Swede lines have been howling about it for years. The European stuff is made to the correct dimensions. Remchester just shortcuted things by using their 'standard' '06 473" head dimension rather than the .478"-479" specs for the 6.5X55 cartridge case. Presumably you would be prone to get case head separations with repeated full-power loads---at least that's what undersized case heads are supposed to do.

But that great "truth" may be not be so likely as we have always been told, since liability lawyers rule corporate life today. Guess the savings from the shortcut are greater than the liability lawsuits. So be happy, and shoot the Remchester stuff if you like. If you segregate your cases by rifle and shoot cast boolit loads, I would think the danger is zilch. Go over to one of Swede forums for more info.

By the way, I shot the Swiss(NOT SWEDE) 7.5 stuff; a bit more accurate than acclaimed Swiss issue ammo, by my lights, that makes it an excellent source for new brass.------jethrow

Bass Ackward
11-17-2005, 08:04 AM
Felix,

I don't need a straight out answer.

Joe

Sorry Guys,

Don't know why this got posted down here when I was in Cast Boolits.

Shepherd2
11-17-2005, 09:13 AM
Jethrow - Thanks for the information about the 6.5x55 brass. I think I'll get some of the Wolf Gold and have a look at it. Might as well get some of the 7.5x55 also and see how it compares to the Swiss GP11.

9.3X62AL
11-17-2005, 12:15 PM
FYI, the 9.3 x 62 properly uses a .479"-.480" head diameter just like the 6.5 x 55 uses when properly dimensioned--NOT the .473" of the 30-06 class cartridges. This larger head and rim requires use of the #2 RCBS shellholder in place of the #3.

Maven
11-17-2005, 05:10 PM
Actually Remington 6.5 x 55mm brass measures .475" - .477", which is too wide to fit the '06, .308, et al. shellholder (Lyman #2) or those on the Lee hand priming tools. Wm. C. Davis, Jr. in the NRA Reloading Handbk. (ca. 1979) wrote that '06 brass can be [reformed and] used in the Swede and the NRA was unaware of any instance of a case failing in such a rifle. Btw, using '06 brass to -> 6.5 x 55mm isn't a good idea given the availability of Lapua, Norma & "Remchester" empties and because it entails serious neck turning.