PDA

View Full Version : 54 cal Percussion Muzzle Loader Mfg Unknown

Black Powder Bill
06-24-2017, 06:04 PM
I tried to find the manufacture of this ML'er and didn't come up with anything. It also appears to me to be unfired. The only draw back it the forend entry ramrod metal is missing. Looks like it was glued and pinned on and the pin is missing. I'm thinking some unknowing person thought the pin was a tenon pin and pulled it off.
That's my opinion yours may differ.
Found a few faint markings on the left side of the barrel.
A box with the letters AL inside to the right of them is a star encircled in a flower type of deal Letters below the star are PN.
Bottom of barrel is marked Black Powder Only. In front of that are the letters NAX I think it is MAX with a light stamp on the "M"
Left side of the breech plug has a screw inset

No ramrod came with this rifle. I may have a plastic or fiberglass one that will work.
Twist unknown, Nope didn't check

The metal is highly polished with a mirror like finish. The lock plate screw is a bit buggered up but not bad. Another amature screw driver attempt.
OAL around 50"
BBL 32.5"
Double set triggers
Bore is nice
Front sight is a sliver blade set in brass
Rear sight is fixed
Half Stock is a light color maybe a cherry don't know for sure.
Forend is a pewter nose cap
Wood to metal finish is fantastic
Double wedge pin and they are even finished like the other metal parts.
LOP 14.5"

The rifle came to me 3rd hand and is suppose to have originated from an old time ML'er shooter in Alabama.

It and 2 others were found in the closet when the son was cleaning out the house.
Sad story he does not shoot.

#3 Well I'm SOOOO glad it was not ruined.

#3 is a LOUIS SMITH 45 cal full stock flintlock every brass piece is engraved. The stock is engrave too!

So being offered now is the one pictured.

Price $750.00 shipped to the mainland. HI & AK extra. Yea after a little more research it may go up again.

PM me here or email call if you have my number.
Payment prefered money order

Thanks for looking
Bill

Black Powder Bill
06-25-2017, 08:09 AM
Sunday bump

JMtoolman
06-25-2017, 09:12 AM
This looks like a Sharon rifle kit, out of Montana that has had a caustic blue done to it. the toolman.

johnson1942
06-25-2017, 09:48 AM
if its a sharon it is very well worth the money, if it is a lyman it isnt as new ones are the same price. with out markings it may be the sharon. some one should check this gun out more closely to see what it is.

Black Powder Bill
06-25-2017, 09:49 AM
This looks like a Sharon rifle kit, out of Montana that has had a caustic blue done to it. the toolman.

Thanks JM!

I pulled the barrel off this AM. After considerable time with an rag & oil. I found faint markings. A box with the initials AL inside then a star surrounded with a circle flower pattern is what describes this best. Below the star are the letters PN

So far no lock makers marks.

Also the barrel is bedded.

Black Powder Bill
06-25-2017, 10:51 AM
if its a sharon it is very well worth the money, if it is a lyman it isnt as new ones are the same price. with out markings it may be the sharon. some one should check this gun out more closely to see what it is.

I thought at first it was a cleaned up Lyman. But having lots of Lymans in my hands the wood and metal finishes were not the same.

Humm can't upload a picture of the lock. It does have a stirrup set up