PDA

View Full Version : Fogged glasses

Goatwhiskers
06-19-2017, 02:06 PM
Just wanted to share this as fogged glasses, scope lenses, and a few other things such as bathroom mirrors are aggravating to say the least, the first two can ruin a hunt. A touch of soap on your fingertip rubbed on the lens--liquid soap works good--and polished off with a dry rag when dry prevents the problem. You're welcome. Haven't tested to see how long it lasts, but it sure works. GW

Duckiller
06-19-2017, 04:29 PM
In the early 60's to play intermural hockey I needed a defogger for my glasses (very near-sighted). Got something from the local small town drug store. Worked great. Sure something similar is still available. Fogged glasses aren't much of a problem in So. Cal.

MT Gianni
06-19-2017, 07:53 PM
When I scuba'd we would either spit on the mask or rub tobacco,snuff or a broken cigarette to prevent fogging.

Bazoo
06-19-2017, 08:23 PM
I use Zeiss stuff like this. https://www.amazon.com/Zeiss-ZES2127437-Fog-Defender-System/dp/B00LF9QLCG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497918084&sr=8-1&keywords=zeiss+anti+fog

It works well. I cannot stand any grease or fingerprints on my spectacles. Especially those blue lines when you look at a light. I clean them thoroughly and then apply the zeiss stuff. It works until it is rubbed off. Will stay on for days as long as you dont wipe your glasses with a rag.

bayjoe
06-19-2017, 08:47 PM
That is what fire fighters use to keep their masks from fogging up

abunaitoo
06-19-2017, 09:13 PM
A while ago, at some new product show, I picked up these pink crayon looking stocks.
Some kind of wax, if I remember correct.
It worked great in keeping glass from fogging.
Used it on the inside of my windshield.
Didn't use glasses back then.
Never could find them again.
Anyone remember what they were????

Bazoo
06-19-2017, 09:26 PM
Once upon a time I used this stuff https://www.amazon.com/Palmer-Pneumatics-FogDoc-1-2oz-jar/dp/B01CBQV6YY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497921885&sr=8-1&keywords=fogdoc But its been years and all I remember is that it worked well. Something I had when I was a kid.

JBinMN
06-19-2017, 09:31 PM
I posted in this topic in the other sub forum, but since I think it is worth sharing, I will copy/paste it here;
--------------------------------

I use shaving cream that has lanolin in it. Just a dab on both side right & left & then wipe off with a clean cloth til the lenses are clear again. Works for windshields in the Winter also. You can go in & out of the cold outdoors to the warm insides & not have to deal with the fogging. Ya do have to repeat after a few days to a week or so, if ya are cleaning your glasses with something that "cuts' the lanolin, but no issue with it...

PS - Works for binos, & scopes also. So your breath does not fog them.

PPS... Another tip for those of us who live in cold weather climes.. Use some spray "anti antiperspirant" on your feet before ya put on your socks & Winter boots, and your feet do not sweat so much & make your socks wet & make boots cold from the difference in temps between your feet & the cold ground. Just another tip to share. Right before Summer...LOL

-------------------------------

Here is the other topic: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?337095-Fogged-glasses

Blackwater
06-20-2017, 05:45 PM
I read this tip many years ago, probably in Tap's Tips in a Field and Stream? Been using it ever since, and it really works, but only lasts just so long. But it's cheap and easy and pretty quick, and here in Ga., with our humidity, it sure comes in handy, even at the river. The river CAN be VERY hot, and condensation ain't helping the fishin' a'tall!

Bazoo
06-20-2017, 07:09 PM
I've tried shaving cream, and it doesnt work without streaks. Least in the times i've tried it on both spectacles and windshields.

woodbutcher
06-20-2017, 09:59 PM
:) This might sound goofy.but it works.When I used to scuba dive,I would wipe the inside of my mask with a piece of raw potato.
Worked like a champ.Washed it out at the end of the day with warm water and soap.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

reloader28
06-22-2017, 10:35 PM
I used to use soap in my racing helmet . Seemed to work good.

am44mag
06-26-2017, 04:34 AM
Just wanted to share this as fogged glasses, scope lenses, and a few other things such as bathroom mirrors are aggravating to say the least, the first two can ruin a hunt. A touch of soap on your fingertip rubbed on the lens--liquid soap works good--and polished off with a dry rag when dry prevents the problem. You're welcome. Haven't tested to see how long it lasts, but it sure works. GW

Foggy glasses are the worst, and it's one of the reasons why I hate trying to shoot in the summer. Thanks for the tip!