PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question

Biggin
06-17-2017, 11:44 PM
Well I finally cast some boolits on my own. Bought a lee mold because it was inexpensive and I wanted to cast some boolits. I kept about 80 out of 200 or so I cast if I could figure out how to post a pic from my phone I will. I have a question, about 20 or so have a minor nub on the base because the spruce plate kept coming loose and I had to keep screwing it back on . Will that affect shoot ability? I'll apologize in advance if this has already been asked, I haven't found it.

Hick
06-17-2017, 11:56 PM
I suppose it might affect shootability-- but I never worry about those little imperfections, simply because I would need to be a mighty fine shot for it to matter. If you are worried about it, set a some aside and load them right along with the perfect ones, but keep track of which set is imperfect- then go out an shoot them and see if you can tell a difference. I'm betting a difference at the base won't make a real difference.

OS OK
06-17-2017, 11:58 PM
It shouldn't with lo/vel pistol rounds.
You may have to drill and tap a set screw into the side of the mould block for the sprue plate screw to keep it tight.

Biggin
06-18-2017, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the replies now that u mentioned it I remember reading about having to install set screws on lee molds.

Biggin
06-18-2017, 12:04 AM
Btw it's a 358 - 158 mold

Bazoo
06-18-2017, 12:28 AM
Is it the 358-158-rf? That's a nice bullet. You won't notice any difference using bullets with a raised nub on the base for plinking or casual ammo.

~Bazoo

Biggin
06-18-2017, 01:24 AM
Actually no it's the gascheck one I wanted the rf version but where I bought it they did not have it. It's on my buy it list��

lightman
06-18-2017, 10:11 PM
I know somebody that has a drill press, 10-32 taps, bits and set screws!:razz:

Wayne Smith
06-19-2017, 07:47 AM
Since it's a GC mold I'd cut off the nub with my jack knife and use them. Otherwise I'd shoot them in plain base.

RogerDat
06-19-2017, 08:43 AM
Until you get a set screw you can try pushing down on the sprue plate as you twist it. Assuming you use a gloved hand to move the sprue plate and cut the sprue.

A member here passed on a tip, turning the mold over, place mold in hand, grasp and twist the sprue plate. Open mold upside down. Bullets seem to drop easier upside down and that hands on twisting of the sprue plate provides ability to pressure the plate to get a tight cut, and "feel" of the plate making it easier to catch any change in tightness.