PDA

View Full Version : bad storm ripped thru town

colbyjack
07-23-2008, 09:59 AM
well gents ive been down since monday at 5 am. tornado/straight line winds hit 98 MPH thru here. every other tree within miles of me is down. i lost 2 big trees and one took out my fence and the neighbors shed... lol

my flag got ripped off the front of the house. i havent had power or internet for a few days.... grrr i missed modern technology... lol anyway i got a genarator had to drive over a hour to find. there is a ice shortage here, 1 gas station open in a town of 48,000. people are looting and vandelizing crap, im locked and ready to rock with my glock and 1911, that x300 light is really bright. im operating on the genarator power now. they said 2-3 days and we should have power. there was 50k + without power still as of last night. we got 8 states helping out with the lines and poles and 750 xtra guys to assist the power company on 24 hour shifts. the city issued a boil order and declared a state of emergency. cant use water unless we have to, the power cant keep up. im very supprised i have the net right now with the power being down.

anyway just wanted to let ya guys know my stinking headache ive been dealing with. it sucks when ya cant get on and chat with your friends.... :(

well i got to jet going to go run out and fire up the chainsaw. ill try to get some pics up when i get time. -chris

sundog
07-23-2008, 10:28 AM
Sounds about like our ice storm last winter. Yes, it's a pain being without power for days at a time. Modern conveniences sure do spoil us. Hang in there, and let us know how you're doing.

Typecaster
07-23-2008, 10:31 AM
Good luck, Chris. We just finished working on a magazine article about the Midwest flooding's impact on propane dealers, so our thoughts and prayers have been with those affected by nature for some months now. I've got relatives and friends we haven't heard from...also in the Northern California wildfire area.

Add the opportunistic scavengers/scum, and a bad situation gets worse.

Richard

blackthorn
07-23-2008, 10:34 AM
From your post it appears you and yours came through OK, other than for the inconvenience and the clean-up to be done. That is really all that matters! Stuff can be replaced but folks can't. Be safe, good luck and god bless.

bruce drake
07-23-2008, 11:14 AM
Colbyjack,

I might be moving to your area next summer for duty with the Army at Rock Island. I'd like to send you a PM to discuss what the area is like for family and shooters. Interested in Davenport or Bettendorf primarily. Trying to stay away from Moline and other Illinois issues as much as possible.

By the way, sounds like you are going to be keeping that generator ready for future events. I have one from living here in Upstate NY for ice/snowstorms. They do come in very handy.

Bruce

monadnock#5
07-23-2008, 05:23 PM
I fully understand the concept, that in an emergency, and in a situation where a crew can either make one repair that services 6000 households, or one repair that services 6 households, that the 6000 take priority. Makes perfect sense.

A couple of years ago a man in Dublin got tossed in jail for getting into a fistfight with a PS crew on their lunch break. He had tried to get them to work on a line to his house that had been down for 3 days in the middle of winter. He had a wife and kids and no money for a night in a hotel for hot meals, shower and a warm bed. Instead of sympathizing, they egged him on.

Hang loose, and be patient and everything will be fine.

Beaverhunter2
07-23-2008, 10:55 PM
I work for a power company and I can sympathize with you- and them. 98mph winds make a hurricane a Category 2- so don't underestimate the power of a midwest thunderstorm. Rest assured, the folks working to get you back in power are working as fast as they can and still do the job safely. It doesn't take many 16 hour shifts in a storm-ravaged area and everybody wants it done.

Be safe, be patient, and don't forget to thank the Lord that you only lost two trees and a fence. A lot of people have died in lesser storms.

John

copdills
07-24-2008, 03:19 AM
Glad your and your are OK , Good luck

scrapcan
07-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Isn't it amazing at what some of our neighbors will resort to if given a chance. What the heck is up with these people that will loot and steal at the drop fo a hat. Just goes to show how easy it is for a civilized area to turn into a third world country, even in the breadbasket of the nation. One more reason that our right to keep and bear arms (and to use in my opinion) should be of utmost importance.

Also when you get a chance you need to thank the men and women who are putting your world back together. As stated above long days in crappy weather and dangerous conditions deserves alot of respect and thanks.

colbyjack
07-25-2008, 11:49 AM
give me a call bruce

309-631-4249

-chris

colbyjack
07-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Colbyjack,

I might be moving to your area next summer for duty with the Army at Rock Island. I'd like to send you a PM to discuss what the area is like for family and shooters. Interested in Davenport or Bettendorf primarily. Trying to stay away from Moline and other Illinois issues as much as possible.

By the way, sounds like you are going to be keeping that generator ready for future events. I have one from living here in Upstate NY for ice/snowstorms. They do come in very handy.

Bruce

yeah man get at me when you get in town. the area is very nice and lots to do. moline and bettendorf have higher taxes then davenport and rock island. you can get more house for your buck in rock island and davenport too. but gots to watch the neighborhoods. im in rock island and i like it. iowa has cheaper gas and food. il has cheaper beer and smokes. its all a good community, dont forget about the small towns, andalusia, buffalo, de witte, eldridge, silvis, coal valley . get at me some time. -chris

bruce drake
07-26-2008, 01:37 AM
Chris,

I'm currently in Iraq but I will save your PM for when I get back in the fall and I'll call if the Army does come through with the Orders there. They are trying to decide between Rock Island and Fort Knox at the moment. I've told them where I'd like to go already. It will depend on what is open as of the Spring of 09.

This is my Sunset Tour. My last posting before retirement and I want it close to my family in Indiana.

I'll check on the small towns as well. I've got three young boys that are very active and I want to have plenty of room for them to grow. I'll expect them to chase squirrels, deer and maybe a girl or two before they leave the nest and I don't need them getting into a bad neighborhood.

How are you doing now? I haven't heard much about the event here in Iraq but news is spotty here. Then again, it doesn't sound like you guys are crying "Katrina!" either.

Bruce