PDA

View Full Version : Why can't Lee make the proper Top Punches for their products

Leadmelter
06-16-2017, 09:42 PM
I hesitate every time I order a Lee mold. The conversion chart I have said to use a Lyman 429 punch that left a nice deep ring on the bullet (358 2R 128gr). I combed thru my collection and found one with a better fit.
Turns me off to Lee.
Leadmelter
MI

mwells72774
06-16-2017, 09:43 PM
I struggle with this as well. Modified 2 to try get the correct profile for the 358-158 but neither works

Baja_Traveler
06-16-2017, 09:50 PM
Just one of the reasons I own so many NOE molds - top punches are an exact match to the mold...

tazman
06-16-2017, 09:54 PM
I suspect Lee can't make top punches for Lyman machines because of patent rights. In any case, since the boolit you mention has a flat nose, you could use a wadcutter top punch.
I use that style punch when seating any boolit with a flat nose when reloading. It should also work when resizing.

mwells72774
06-16-2017, 09:57 PM
I suspect Lee can't make top punches for Lyman machines because of patent rights. In any case, since the boolit you mention has a flat nose, you could use a wadcutter top punch.
I use that style punch when seating any boolit with a flat nose when reloading. It should also work when resizing.

I tried this, but it doesn't stay flush and smears in one side

Catshooter
06-16-2017, 11:04 PM
There is a difference between "can't" and "won't".

Cat

15meter
06-16-2017, 11:17 PM

Patents are for a limited time, those nose punches certainly are way past a patent's expiration. Look at Redding, they will make a RCBS/Lyman top punch for any mold they sell.

tazman
06-16-2017, 11:42 PM
I tried this, but it doesn't stay flush and smears in one side

I can see how that would happen. I would have thought the nose punch for the 358665 might work. I think the nose punch number is 495.

mwells72774
06-16-2017, 11:43 PM
I can see how that would happen. I would have thought the nose punch for the 358665 might work. I don't know the punch number.

459 or 495 I think

tazman
06-16-2017, 11:48 PM
Just checked with a couple of sales sites. It is 495.

CraigOK
06-17-2017, 12:22 AM
Probably has something to do with them wanting people to buy their sizing system and lubing method

reed1911
06-17-2017, 09:12 AM
In the event that you cannot find a punch that fits your specific bullet; Find a punch that is close but slightly oversize and use either hot glue (temp use) or Epoxy (longer term) to fill the void and make a custom punch. With the hot glue I glue it right to a well cleaned and de-greesed punch, a little oil or cooking spray on the bullet, set the bullet into the die, fill the cavity and press just enough to keep everything concentric.
With the epoxy you can do it the same way and it will bond to the punch and make it more permanent or you can spray release agent (cooking spray) on the punch as well to make it removable. Any excess that bleeds over the edges just trim with a hobby knife (exacto blade) and away you go.

JohnH
06-17-2017, 10:40 AM
Lyman top punch #348 is a flat punch. I use this punch on nearly every pistol boolit I run through my Lyman sizer, be it the Lee 358158 RF or Lee 429200 RF or the Lyman 452460. I too find the "ring" unsightly, but have never been able to prove it affects accuracy adversely.

OS OK
06-17-2017, 11:24 AM
It's aggravating huh?

NoAngel
06-17-2017, 11:47 AM
Lee supports themselves. They do not make lube sizers. They make push through sizers. As cheap as their stuff is, the profit margins are probably slim to begin with. Making products to support competitors equipment doesn't make any sense. In the end, it IS a business and they do what makes them money.

mdi
06-17-2017, 11:48 AM
Why would Lee make parts for Lyman or RCBS products? Lee has their own design bullets and to keep with their "one manufacturer" thinking they manufacture a sizing system that works quite well. If you absolutely need a top punch that's a perfect fit, customize one for your lubersizer.

OS OK
06-17-2017, 12:13 PM
I would imagine that there are a lot more brass stuffers in the US that use the lube/sizer method over the push through sizers and they would appreciate having a perfect fit nose punch for Lee's noses.

If I were figuring how to give my moulds an edge in the market place, besides being cheap...I'd figure how I could offer the proper nose punches, after all nobody gives them away, right? Sales ='s profit, right?

Also...what's more convenient than having access to the nose punch where you purchase the mould?

MT Chambers
06-17-2017, 05:39 PM
I thought most Lee users were "thrifty" and used the lee push through sizers and tumble lubed, though not my idea of fun.

OS OK
06-17-2017, 06:02 PM
No...for me it's the push through on an upside down press with the PC coating...but...I'm in the minority with PC, I imagine the lube sizers still outnumber us 7 to 1.

dragon813gt
06-17-2017, 06:33 PM
They don't make a lube sizer that needs them. That's the long and short of it.

gwpercle
06-17-2017, 07:27 PM
Two things that might help.
1.) If the boolits has any sort of flat spot on it then use a flat nose punch. Fill a punch with epoxy or epoxy putty (JB Weld makes both) let set and file / sand flat. The flat punch allows the boolit to self alaign to some degree....I find them easier to seat with. I have also used flat punches to seat round nose boolits in 9 mm, didn't have a RN punch so I used the flat ...worked fine.

2.) Custom fit a nose punch that doesn't fit to the boolit nose with a small ball of epoxy putty. Clean and degrease the inside of nose punch , grease up the bullet nose so it won't adhere , place the small ball of epoxy putty in nose cavity, install nose punch, seat punch down onto boolit and press into sizer die but not all the way in , make sure everything is lined up and straight, make sure no epoxy is oozing out into someplace it's not supposed to be , let cure overnight and.... TA-DA custom fit...no ring around the boolit. I have one done over twenty five years ago and I'm still using it.

Gary

plainsman456
06-17-2017, 08:32 PM
I use a straight flat punch for those boolits that are flat nose .
I have modified some in the past and they worked.

But i have found that the marks on the nose don't really do any harm,just looks bad.

They still shoot.

mdi
06-19-2017, 12:44 PM
I've never seen a poll of users about Push through vs. Lubersizer use to determin which method is most popular, so that's up in the air for interpretation. Thrifty has nothing to do with it. My experience is only with one Lyman lubersizer and that wasn't good (so should I condemn all lubersizers? Become a "Lyman Hater"?). I had to clean up leaks and bullet bottoms way too much. I have no need to lube 500 bullets at a setting so I pan lube and PC most of my cast bullets and size with Lee sizers. Not because I'm cheap. Not because I'm a tool snob. I use the system because it works quite well.

If some users of alox would just think tumble lubing wouldn't be messy. I use a method that Ranch Dog uses called "dip lubing", and again I'm not into mass production, and 100 bullets lubed is quite easy (plus I cast up a bunch of bullets and wait to size/lube for a particular gun. My guns have different size barrels for the same cartridge and some loads have their preferred lube).

So, why would Lee make parts for Lyman? Would Winchester make parts for Remington? Would GMC make parts for Chrysler?

jcwit
06-19-2017, 12:55 PM
So, why would Lee make parts for Lyman? Would Winchester make parts for Remington? Would GMC make parts for Chrysler?

Excellent point!

gwpercle
06-19-2017, 01:11 PM
I've used a Lyman 450 since 1973. Still using it . Learning the tricks of operation and adjustment goes a long way in proper operation and keeping lube where you want it and off boolit bases . Never leaked and never replaced any parts.
I have always used soft lubes that require no heat to flow....I see some having trouble with heated lubes and wonder if too hot = too thin and gets in places it's not wanted.
Gary

Texas by God
06-19-2017, 01:28 PM
I've used both the Lyman lubrisizer and the Lee push thru sizers. I prefer the Lee system so much more that I sold all the Lyman stuff. The epoxy on the seating stem solution is an oldie/goody!

RogerDat
06-19-2017, 01:35 PM
Lee is believe it or not Lee centric, why would they make nose punches for molds of others, when there is a good chance the lube sizer user will buy the punch when the buy the other fellows mold?

I'm not 100% sure on this but would hazard if you have tooling to cut the nose shape in a mold it is easier to come up with the tooling to cut the top punch. NOE makes molds & makes matching top punches for their molds, if it fits another brand mold it is all lucky bonus break. Unless you are buying their push through system which may be different, haven't looked into it too much. Invested in Lee, set up for their sizing process.

Lot of folks tumble lube, just look at the traffic on the BLL and 45/45/10 threads. A lot of people also use the Lee sizers for PC, pan lubing, or dip lubing. They seat gas checks well. The sizers work and are inexpensive as a manufacturer that would satisfy my needs for marketing.

CIC
06-19-2017, 02:56 PM
The fact that I do not have to worry about special top punches and additional lube and sizing equipment is what draws me to Lee. If it were not for Lee I doubt I would be into casting.

jmort
06-19-2017, 03:22 PM
They don't make a lube sizer that needs them. That's the long and short of it.

Here
This is the answer
For me nose first with PC or BLL is what I need
Everyone else is doing it bass-ackwards
In the Stone-Age
Evolve

Texas by God
06-19-2017, 03:43 PM
CIC and jmort- you nailed it. It's better to join the club in expensively than to not join at all.
95% of my tools of castage are Lee. Damn Skippy.

blikseme300
06-19-2017, 10:48 PM
Just get a Star and the need for top punches disappears. Yes, I own a few and most of my molds are Lee. The staggering array and expense of top punches made my choice easy when I was initially in the market for lube sizer.