PDA

View Full Version : 1894 Cowboy Buttplate

crabo
07-22-2008, 07:54 PM
I have trouble with my CB wanting to slide off my shoulder. I could also use a little more length so I am thinking about putting a recoil pad on it.

Is the 1894 and the 336 the same pad? Brownells lists a precut one for the 336. but not the 1894. Are they the same?

I thought about one of the buttstock covers, but I need to add a leather cheek piece so I can get a better cheekweld.

Thanks,

Crabo

August
07-23-2008, 12:01 AM
This reply may not suit your purposes....

If the gun is a cowboy, best leave it cowboy legal, which means no rubber butt plate. Kirkpatrick makes a nice butt protector, pad, that is leather and looks great on the gun. Can't help with the cheek weld.......

GSPKurt
07-30-2008, 09:00 PM
If it's a Pachmayer, it wont fit the 336, either. I bought one from Brownell's for my .444 and it was too small.

KCSO
07-30-2008, 09:29 PM
The 1894 and the 336 both use the same butt stock. In fact I have a checkered 336 on my wifes 94 in 32 H and R. As to the fit of the Brownell's pad you will have to try it and see. If it were me I would do what I did and put on a Tree Bone cresent butt stock, it's longer and the cresaent holds it in to the shoulder. As to Cowboy legal as far as I know Marlin offered a red rubber pad as an option as early as 1890, but heck what's history to a REEL cowboy.

Just Duke
08-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Crabo, buy an etra one and rough it up with some 40 grit sand paper. Rubber recoil pads at least for me get hung up whilest shoulderin if you know what I mean.

leadeye
08-13-2008, 01:38 PM
I bought a prefitted Pachmayr for my 1894, it felt just a little short after adding the scope. It fit correctly and was the best way to pick up the stock length for a more natural fit for me.

6pt-sika
08-13-2008, 02:35 PM
I realize all our needs are not the same . And with that being said i can't say I like the looks of any of the Marlin Cowboy rifles with a recoil pad on them !

If I were using one in competition and had a problem with it slipping from my shoulder I would first get some tape that had a rubber coating on one side and then put a strip right down the middle of the buttplate and perhaps that might help you keep the rifle to your shoulder . And that would not affect the resale value of the gun or cost a large amount to do !