PDA

View Full Version : Almost done with Drill Instructor School!

Love Life
06-12-2017, 06:01 PM
Lord willing I don't die of heat exhaustion, break a bone, or some other anomaly occur; I will be graduating the Marine Corps Drill Instructor School as a freshly minted Drill Instructor on June 21st.

It has been a hard and annoying school, with a hard duty in store for me. At 32 years old I'm not a spring chicken anymore, lol!

Wish me luck for this final week of Recruit observations and I'll be checking in at the end of the week!!

zarrinvz24
06-12-2017, 06:08 PM
Awesome. PI or SD?

Spoonerism
06-12-2017, 06:11 PM
Good luck and semper fi!

TexasGrunt
06-12-2017, 06:18 PM
DI school is TOUGH for a reason. You're building the future of our Corps. At age 32 I can only imagine how hard it must be.

God Bless You.

KenH
06-12-2017, 06:29 PM
Good luck - at 32 you seem like a true "spring chicken" compared to a 70 yr old man {g}

Hang in there - you'll do good. Do ya'll have to tuck recruits in at night these days? :kidding:

Littlewolf
06-12-2017, 06:36 PM
sir ooh rahh sir my DI's were aprox 32 in 1998 you will do fine brother. if you doubt that you are doing a good job or will do a good job then you will do fine. mine did a good job i still remember their faces and names and the respect i got from them

Lonegun1894
06-12-2017, 06:51 PM
Thank you, Love Life. Semper Fi! If we ever meet, this Corpsman is buying your dinner.

nagantguy
06-12-2017, 06:52 PM
Top 10% of the Corps goes to DI school;tops seven or so graduate! From one Marine to to another I'm damn proud of you brother!

308Jeff
06-12-2017, 07:06 PM
Proud of you. Thank you for your service.

osteodoc08
06-12-2017, 07:06 PM
Congratulations on your achievement. I know how hot and muggy it's been lately, especially today. 32 is no spring chicken when compared to a new recruit but you are building and building on the foundation of the best military in the world. My hats off sir. Thank you for your service.

jmort
06-12-2017, 07:25 PM
Glad I caught this
From I have seen
You are exactly the right guy to be DI
Break'em down
Build'em up
Make men out of them
I know there is a method to the madness.
A few more years and you can be on to something else or at the very least do what you want.
Regardless, I have no doubt you will have made your charges the best of the best at "graduation time"
That is an art. Few people can make men better men.
Good great news

No Blue
06-12-2017, 07:39 PM
Awesome. PI or SD?

If you ever spent some time around San Diego, you'd know he wasn't there! Probably the closest to a perfect climate on the planet....too bad all the left wingers are pushing everybody else out.

472x1B/A
06-12-2017, 07:41 PM
First off, Thank you for your service. Next, congratulations on advancing your career for our country.

Being in the Air Force I doubt I would have tried to take on DI school at 32 years old. Heck at 32 I was E-6 with a shop full of cry babies, 3 more assignments to do, and 7 more years to go. Good luck to you and your career.

OS OK
06-12-2017, 08:31 PM
Oh boy...Marine bootcamp...that was 4 decades and a lustrum ago and the best thing that ever happened to this young punk!

I remember the day the DI's referred to us as Marines...I almost broke down in tears, no kidding! on Graduation day...got my 'Blues' for free.

leeggen
06-12-2017, 09:49 PM
Dang Love Life at 32 I could out work and out last any teenager. At that time I could pickup several hundred hay bails and still go party that evening. You'll do great as a DI, you have worked hard to get to this point. After Graduation you will be down hill from there.
Good Luck!
CD

lightman
06-12-2017, 09:51 PM
I was never a Marine but I appreciate your service. Congratulations on your accomplishment. I have no doubt that you will make it, and be good at it. Thank You!

Riverpigusmc
06-12-2017, 09:52 PM
Outstanding

Hogtamer
06-12-2017, 09:57 PM
THANK YOU and hang tough!

zarrinvz24
06-12-2017, 10:36 PM
If you ever spent some time around San Diego, you'd know he wasn't there! Probably the closest to a perfect climate on the planet....too bad all the left wingers are pushing everybody else out.

Yup, spent 35 months at MCAS Miramar. Happiest day ever was seeing that in the rear view. SC then, PI is in a beautiful part of the country.

jmort
06-12-2017, 10:55 PM

For sure he knows San Diego well
I think it made him soft
He may think he loves California, but moving back home toughened him up...I think

tarbe
06-12-2017, 11:09 PM
Outstanding, Marine!

Like any other Marine, I still remember my Drill Instructors, 41 years later.

You have an incredible opportunity ahead of you.

Make good Marines!! Make Marines who will carry on the traditions of the Corps.

Those Marines will remember you until the day they die.

Semper Fi!

Tim

Bzcraig
06-13-2017, 12:57 AM
Congratulations, good luck and turn those boys into warriors Dick! God be with you.

Alabama358
06-13-2017, 01:18 AM
Semper Fi

Proverbs 27:17 Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.

These men(your recruits) will remember you when they enter in to battle and God willing long into their elder years.
Show them your best side.

JBinMN
06-13-2017, 04:09 AM
Best of Luck to ya!
:drinks:

I graduated D.I. School at MCRD PI, class 3/84. Spent the next year & a half at 3rd Bn/I Co. RTR there. Then was transferred to be a W.S.S.I./CPR/Multi-Media F. Aid Instructor til the end of my tour there. It is a proud moment in your life & a lot of responsibility in training those future Marines. I wish ya well!
:)

Semper Fi!

avogunner
06-13-2017, 05:02 AM
Outstanding!!! Best of luck on your tour, it'll be tough on you and your family (looooong hours!) but the final product of each cycle is worth it.
I graduated in class 2-90 and was DI/SDI in 1st Bn/C Co. Back then, a Drill Instructor tour was two years; 18 months training platoons and 6 months "on quota" to give you a break (a related job dealing with the training but not the normal 24/7 with recruits). My quota was the Receiving Barracks - there I was the guy that got 'em off the bus and on to the yellow footprints.
You've got good times ahead my friend, tough work but good times!
Semper Fi!

RedJackson
06-13-2017, 06:42 PM
Congrats, we need a few good men to shape up the snowflakes.

Tom W.
06-13-2017, 08:56 PM
Oh the yellow footprints..........

woodbutcher
06-13-2017, 09:07 PM
:-D:drinks:Outstanding.Thanks for your service.Wishing you and yours the best.God bless ya.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Love Life
06-13-2017, 09:20 PM
Day one of observation done. 17 miles of running in boots. I'm old, lol.

Thank you for all the kind words.

JBinMN- Talk about coincidence. I am going to 3rd Battalion India Company.

bruce drake
06-13-2017, 09:48 PM
Congratulations Marine. I walked the yellow footprints at Parris Island on Dec 26th, 1989 and came into my Marine Corps life as a graduate of Plt 1029, 1st RTR.

That said, congratulations on selection and hopefully soon completion of the Drill Instructor School. I got selected despite my protests for Recruiters School after my time as an Infantryman, Marine Security Forces and Combat Cameraman was over (0311/8151/4341). Every door that is placed in front of a Career Marine opens many more options for their future. I look forward to the progress of the Corps and your impact will reach across the decades. Senior Drill Instructor Staff Sergeant Wilson's name is still at the tip of my tongue after nearly 27 years since I last set eyes on him at the Parade Deck on the Island.

Semper Fidelis,

Bruce Drake
USMC 1989-1999
Major, US Army (Retired) 2000-2013

ARKLITE881South
06-13-2017, 10:11 PM

Its a coincidence on this end as well. I was in 3rd Batt 26th Marines India Company, in VN Chesty Pullers son in law Capt William H.Dabney was my Co on Hill 881 South 67-68 still seems like yesterday. Semper FI Make em MEN, make em MARINES!!

bstone5
06-13-2017, 11:08 PM
Stood on the yellow foot prints in San Diego on August of 1965.
Good luck and take some time and effort in the the new position.

Alstep
06-13-2017, 11:24 PM
Been 51 years ago this July that I stepped off the bus and onto those yellow footprints. Be tough but fair, don't cut 'em any slack, and make Marines out of your new recruits. Hard training saves lives, and accomplishes the mission. Congratulations, and best of luck to you. Semper Fi!

Artful
06-13-2017, 11:24 PM
Well Done and congratulations - I'll trade you my 65 for your 32, just say the word.

WRideout
06-13-2017, 11:31 PM
Congratulations to another member of the combined arms team. One of my instructors at Ft. Sill was a Marine Corps Lieutenant who knew his stuff.

Wayne

JBinMN
06-14-2017, 04:13 AM

LOL Yes, that is a cool coincidence. "Blue shirts", if things have not changed. You should like it there.

I hope your tour there is a great one! Your mentioning this brings back some memories of those days. Hard work, but all in all a pretty good tour for me back then.

Once again, Semper Fi!

P.S. - Back then... We called the I Co. area there, "Indian Country", as a bit of an inside joke. ;)

TexasGrunt
06-14-2017, 08:28 AM
Blue shirts rule! Plt. 3106, San Diego, 1978.

Love Life
06-14-2017, 12:37 PM
Bleed Blue!!

sparky45
06-14-2017, 12:55 PM
Stood on the yellow foot prints in San Diego on August of 1965.
Good luck and take some time and effort in the the new position.

First of Sept 1965, I was on my Billet but across the tall fence doing boot for the Navy, and later to Hospital Corp School just down the road at Balboa. I have tremendous respect for the USMC. BTW, my brother was a Marine grunt in WW2.

square butte
06-14-2017, 01:58 PM
Love Ya Brother - Hang In - I put up a prayer for ya

waksupi
06-14-2017, 04:12 PM
Lord willing I don't die of heat exhaustion, break a bone, or some other anomaly occur; I will be graduating the Marine Corps Drill Instructor School as a freshly minted Drill Instructor on June 21st.

It has been a hard and annoying school, with a hard duty in store for me. At 32 years old I'm not a spring chicken anymore, lol!

Wish me luck for this final week of Recruit observations and I'll be checking in at the end of the week!!

It's about time you were getting a steady job!

NoAngel
06-14-2017, 04:41 PM
Awesome! Thank you for your service to our country.

Silver lining to all the blood & sweat equity you have invested, you now get to scream at people for being a disgusting fat body. LOL!!!!

Iowa Fox
06-14-2017, 04:43 PM
Congrats Love Life, proud a ya. 50 years ago yesterday I left on the bus for the Army, it would be the greatest adventure of my life. The Drill Sargent's were tough but I would later realize why. Their job was to try to keep us and our fellow soldiers alive during the raging war. AIT was even harder than basic.

Iowa Fox
06-14-2017, 04:46 PM
Just one more thing. At 32 your in the prime of your life coupled with mature thinking.

jonp
06-14-2017, 04:56 PM
Thank you for your service. Glad there are still good men to train our soldiers.....HA! Gotcha 😉 Train our Marines

avogunner
06-14-2017, 07:27 PM
Congratulations Marine. I walked the yellow footprints at Parris Island on Dec 26th, 1989 and came into my Marine Corps life as a graduate of Plt 1029, Alpha Co, 1st RTR.

Another coincidence in this thread.....Bruce, was in DI School while you were a recruit and my "observation" was with Alpha Co. Not sure if you remember a bunch of strange Marines hanging around the platoon and wandering around your squad bay's, (after the rifle range, probably in the middle of 3rd phase) but if you do, one was me.
Semper Fi Major!

Love Life
06-14-2017, 08:57 PM
The Marine Corps is a small world.

Love Life
06-14-2017, 08:58 PM
It's about time you were getting a steady job!

Yeah, working on the Bernie Sanders presidential staff didn't pan out for me, lol.

scattershot
06-14-2017, 11:27 PM
Congrats! Just curious, how long have you been in, what was your rank entering DI school, and what will it be when you graduate?

Tough school.

bruce drake
06-15-2017, 04:21 PM
Another coincidence in this thread.....Bruce, was in DI School while you were a recruit and my "observation" was with Alpha Co. Not sure if you remember a bunch of strange Marines hanging around the platoon and wandering around your squad bay's, (after the rifle range, probably in the middle of 3rd phase) but if you do, one was me.
Semper Fi Major!

Stand By Marine!

I'll be heading back home from the work office soon and I'll pull my Recruit Book down from the shelf in my home office. That ugly mug in your avatar isn't you but I'll drop the list of plug uglies I had to shape me. We picked up a ****load of new Black Belts in the 3rd phase and ended up with 4 DS and The SDI when we walked the Grinder that last time.

bruce drake
06-15-2017, 04:26 PM
Yeah, working on the Bernie Sanders presidential staff didn't pan out for me, lol.

All Jokes Aside.

You are going to a RTR that has had a major issue with hazing and a bad command climate which may have directly lead to a Recruit's death.

You are being assigned there most likely because the school has seen a level of professionalism in your training that will help right the ship out on the woodline of the 3rd Herd.

I'm confident that you and the team of Drill Sergeants you will be working with will be able to right and correct the training in the 3rd RTR and return the "Glory" back to the RTR for providing quality Marines to the Fleet.

THAT SAID!!!!! 3rd Herd develops muscles in the Brain Pans! 1st RTR develops the Marines to use their Brain Pans and 2nd RTR are just Lost Ones out by 4th RTR which says it all right there...

There, I believe that just righted the balance in the world at Parris Island....

Geezer in NH
06-15-2017, 05:50 PM
Thank You for your service! Please train our young ones to be men and reject the ones who cannot. That will save all their lives IMHO. Be true to the nation and not the politik. Again thanks for your commitment Old Man. Said lovingly.

jonp
06-15-2017, 06:18 PM

I heard there were a lot of Bernie fans in The Corp

bruce drake
06-15-2017, 06:22 PM
The Team...We picked up Light and Caprara in the 3rd phase with a reshuffle.
Yep, my much-younger self 3 days after getting all 4 wisdom teeth pulled...
Lt Brewer was actually from my po-dunk hometown in Maine. He was about 6 years older than me and I still remember the ****** stealing blackberries and apples out of the orchards and fields on the farm and my Dad (retired USMC SgtMaj 1952-82) sending the dogs after him...I think my Dad caught him one time trying to shine my older sister...I also think he put the fear of God and The Old Corps into him as he straightened up and finished college and joined the Corps after that.
Drill Instructor Sgt Udart...He started with our platoon but I believe there was an issue with him and a dumb frigging recruit in the latrine out at the rifle range (Pvt Kaintz - we called him "Kantz" because no matter what we did he couldn't grasp the idea of moving fast. He became a cook I believe) "Kantz" came out of the latrine with a nasty cut over his right eye where he "slipped" on the floor. He (Udart) finished over in Plt 1028.
SDI Wilson and Me during our Blues Inspection. I think he was smiling...he had just told the battalion CO that I had cost him a bet during the 2nd phase Rifles. I was the platoon high shooter right up to pre-qual than boloed on qual and 1st requal days due to bad weather and dumb *** rookie windage calls and ended up shooting the next week on the BOLO Relay (the Drop relay - Qual or get dropped) with 2nd RTR and qualifying with a 243/250....YES, that's a damn Rifle Marksman's Badge on my chest...The Square Toilet Bowl...I wore it through MCT/SOI and it almost cost me my Security Forces Assignment until I got a Qual chance out at Lejuene courtesy of the SOI BN SgtMaj being one of my father's Vietnam marines.
I tried not to really stand out in the platoon. That bolo sucked. I took my Dad's advice to try to stay off the skyline. I tried to help the idiots. I got paired up with Pvt Marcos Duvallon from Miami several times due to the alphabet/rack arrangements. He had frigging issues getting dress in time for a long time...DS Hernandez loved him...And hearing "Drakes - get on the Quarter-Deck with your Buddy Duvallons" was almost nightly...I got to be a very-very strong 120lb Feather Merchant...
At least I never, thank God, I never had to rack by Pvt Joseph Rinchack. He was so afraid of the DSs that he pissed himself 3 times because he couldn't ask to go to the latrine without stuttering over himself...He went Aviation Supply...

jmort
06-15-2017, 06:23 PM

Clearly the Marines are cut from the best cloth

DoubleAdobe
06-15-2017, 06:47 PM
Hear, Hear!
Well said, jmort

DoubleAdobe
06-15-2017, 06:57 PM
My son is a Marine, graduated 2003, MCRD San Diego.
When I saw those Marines at his Boot graduation all hit the grinder and their left feet all hit the deck at the same time, it gave me a chill that I will never forget.
And at the heart of that training were his DI's. He told me about them, at first he hated their very guts and by graduation he thought they were the epitome of manhood. And you know because I know my son, I agreed.
You have a very important and useful job, Love Life, and I could not admire a man more. Good luck to you, sir.

Love Life
06-15-2017, 09:12 PM
Day 3 is done and I'm so grateful to have my boots off.

bruce drake
06-15-2017, 10:28 PM

LOL! get new insoles and swap them out regularly! You only get one set of good knees. the replacements can't handle the same amount of stress.

Artful
06-16-2017, 12:57 PM

Clearly the Marines are cut from the best cloth

Wow 1 out of 4 Officers in the military admitted wanting Hillary Clinton for President :killingpc

Artful
06-16-2017, 12:59 PM

Helps to have a pan of COLD water to put your feet into after the boots come off
- shocking at first but in a couple of min you will feel better.

JBinMN
06-16-2017, 01:48 PM
Believe me...since I did the tour there, as well as some others here... Gonna offer a bit of advice.

Change your socks for sure & at least a couple times a day.
There is no trouble finding the time, just use "time management". LOL ;)
Even though you are gonna be a third or fourth "hat" , (if they still use those terms {Senior/Heavy/3rd Hat /4th Hat), you will find the time. Observe the Heavy & don't be afraid to ask questions of him & the Sr. ( NOt in front of the recruits)... You should have the time before ya pick up your first platoon. If not... Time management.."Make the time".
;)

It would not hurt to have more than one pair of "broken in" boots, if ya don''t already. Not to forget shoes.... couple of pair of those also. Get good ones, if ya haven't already . I used "Corfam" ones. Don't know if they are still around or used much anymore, but they lasted & I think I only had one pair that eventually needed repair. You are gonna be on your feet 95-99% of the time. Take great care of them...

Lastly, an "also if ya haven't yet." deal. Get some of those real good shirts with the creases already fixed for ya. (I don't recall the name right now, I would have to go see if I had one or more in my old gear to find out). But the "brokedick" issue ones are not gonna cut it. They are only good for having one of the more Muscly DI's to wear when ya get introduced & then he can pop the buttons & split the sides right off the bat. LOL True stuff! Happened to me when I went in. DI Sgt Chambers( 3rd Hat) was his name. And it was also used by a few guys after I went to RTR as a DI. Great visual impact from the get go... Still LOL at the memories...
;)

Lastly... Lime juice... I found it to be one of the best methods to tighten up your vocal cords when they get stretched & you are losing some of your voice. That use of your diaphragm to project a "command voice"(Grinder voice/Parade voice) works great, but it doesn't help the vocal cords when they get stressed & they WILL get stressed.... SOme guys sipped vinegar, but I preferred lime juice. Not too much , don't get sick on it, just once in a while...maybe couple times a day & sip water when if ya have to. (NOT around the recruits if ya can help it. < but that may have changed also.) Stay hydrated regardless...
Anyway... after a while ya won't need anything anymore & your voice will likely permanently change ....LOL Another surprise of the duty. Not for all, but a lot of fellers...
LOL
( this is kind of fun...)

Anyway, this type of stuff worked for me!
There is more to be offered I am sure, but I will let some of the other fellers who pulled this tour in here too if they want.
;)

Once again... G'Luck! & Best wishes to ya!

Semper Fi!

Love Life
06-16-2017, 06:08 PM
Outstanding advice, JBinMN and I thank you for it!! We still get issued corfram shoes. I'd rather have leathers, but then I would need all leather gear.

I have 4 pair of boots that I rotate through regularly and several pair of running shoes to rotate. My feet are my livelihood, a you know from experience. As to the drinking water thing, we are allowed to drink in front of Recruits and it I actually encouraged because it gets the recruits drinking. Things have changed a lot in the field from what I have been told and from what I see. Parris Island is dong it's best to eliminate hat hazing, and make life better for the Drill Instructors. Especially because of the issue Mr. Drake pointed out.

At the end of the day, a great product will still be produced on Parris Island.

Love Life
06-17-2017, 06:13 PM
I survived observation, lol. It was a physically demanding, but very rewarding experience. Graduation is Wednesday!! Never in my life did I ever think I would be here. I'm honestly still in awe by the whole process.

jcwit
06-17-2017, 06:14 PM
Fantastic! Really glad for you!

JBinMN
06-17-2017, 06:28 PM
Stand tall & get some!
;)

kingstrider
06-20-2017, 07:47 PM
I'm a Navy dentist and am stationed at PI as well. The DIs have a hell of a tough job, if you need anything dental let me know.

onceabull
06-20-2017, 08:51 PM
I'm Late with this, but Congrats,Dick...Having crossed paths with you FTF, It's not a surprise that you graduate tomorrow... Hope to see you out west at least once again B4 my last sunset.... Onceabull

johnson1942
06-20-2017, 09:10 PM
wash your face often in salt water, talk like you have a bull frog stuck in your throat and kick every dog that gets in front of you, wake the troops up every morning by running a night stick around the inside of a GI can. if they cant pass barracks inspection dump every thing they all have out one window into a big pile and even a few bunks on top of that. if they get caught with tobacco in a none tobacco pocket make that recruit eat a whole pack of smokes. then ask him if he still likes tobacco. if he says yes, make him eat another one. i could go on and on, be hard as you can on them as they have to be able to handle it when the bullets start to fly. if you are training 70 recruits and you have a couple that need more attention than the rest. get rid of the ones that need more attention. i never ever want to go through another boot camp but im glad i went through the one i did.

goodolejim
06-20-2017, 09:12 PM
Another corpsman saying OHHRAA and Semper
Fi

Doc Olive

Artful
06-20-2017, 10:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0I4peF4qN4

Love Life
06-21-2017, 07:25 PM
I made it!! I graduated number 4 out of 66. Not bad for an old man (in Marine years). I will get some pictures up.

Love Life
06-21-2017, 07:27 PM
wash your face often in salt water, talk like you have a bull frog stuck in your throat and kick every dog that gets in front of you, wake the troops up every morning by running a night stick around the inside of a GI can. if they cant pass barracks inspection dump every thing they all have out one window into a big pile and even a few bunks on top of that. if they get caught with tobacco in a none tobacco pocket make that recruit eat a whole pack of smokes. then ask him if he still likes tobacco. if he says yes, make him eat another one. i could go on and on, be hard as you can on them as they have to be able to handle it when the bullets start to fly. if you are training 70 recruits and you have a couple that need more attention than the rest. get rid of the ones that need more attention. i never ever want to go through another boot camp but im glad i went through the one i did.

What does the salt water wash do? Is it like the same affect as soaking your feet in Epsom salts? As for the other stuff, that stuff these days would get me thrown in jail, lol.

JBinMN
06-21-2017, 08:19 PM
I made it!! I graduated number 4 out of 66. Not bad for an old man (in Marine years). I will get some pictures up.

OUTSTANDING!

Semper Fi! & Carry on Marine, Finest Kind!!
;)

Artful
06-21-2017, 09:11 PM
:bigsmyl2::drinks::guntootsmiley:

woodbutcher
06-22-2017, 09:16 AM
:drinks: Outstanding sir.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo