PDA

View Full Version : H&G #43 .359 Keith What's it worth?

Bula
07-22-2008, 12:28 PM
It's a Double Cavity. I picked this mold up a while ago, it's in great shape. Drops a .359 173 gr Keith. I really wanted a 4 cavity Lyman 358429, but I stumbled onto this. What's a fair asking price for these things? Like I said the blocks are in very good shape and cast great ,but I'm just married to the idea of a 4 or 6 cavity.

Thanks all, I appreciate any help.

Ballard
07-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Is it a single, or double cavity? I have a like new, 358429 I might trade you for it.

Bula
07-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Sorry about that--It's a double Cavity. Ballard PM me the details on your 358429.

Ballard
07-22-2008, 07:13 PM
PM Sent.

lead_her_fly
07-24-2008, 11:15 AM
I know I run the risk of being castigated for mentioning this but, on ebay a 4 cavity H&G mold, in popular handgun cartridges, 38 - 45, will run upwards of $150 - $250! I know, I have bought some! I just got a H&G #502, 45 caliber 240gr SWC (pseudo Keith) and gave over $150 for it.
My H&G #290BB cost me in the neighborhood of $160. One thing about them though, if you are going to cast boolits, they are well worth it, period.

I also have an H&G #503, a true Elmer Keith 44 caliber boolit, in 4 cavity. I use my own lube and drive them baby's up to 1800fps with no leading problems at all!
FWIW

Dale53
07-24-2008, 01:17 PM
At the OGCA Gun Show earlier in the year, I bought a "like new" H&G #503 in a double cavity mould with handles. I really wanted a four cavity but this was offered and he was firm on $75.00. I left the table and later went back and got it. I have yet to cast with it but I am certain it will do well (I have MORE than a little experience with H&G moulds and this particular mould was a design that I was looking for). Further, the owner was a knowledgeable bullet caster and gave the mould a good report (and I believed him).

Last year I bought a good, but not pristine, six cavity mould H&G with handles(.38 wadcutter - can't remember the mould # but it was the "standard") for $100.00 from someone on here. The only problem is, it is so heavy it is not much fun to use. Four cavity iron moulds are about my limit, these days. It is also necessary to "pre-heat" a large iron mould before you can get it up to speed (otherwise, I would be worn out before getting good bullets[smilie=1:). Pre-heating is NOT a problem for me as I pre-heat ALL moulds before casting on a hot plate next to my casting pots.

Here is from the Ballisti -Cast web site for new moulds:
2 Cavity with Sprue Plates & Screws............................................ ..................................... $115.00

4 Cavity with Sprue Plates & Screws............................................ ..................................... $195.00

6 Cavity with Sprue Plates & Screws............................................ ..................................... $300.00

You have to temper desire with judgement and decide if you want a new mould (known quality) against an Ebay "gamble" for a somewhat "unknow quality". If I can't save money, then a new mould would be my direction. I have never used a Ballisti-Cast Mould but all the reports I get are that they are equal to the H&G moulds. Buying at a gun show give you the opportunity to look at the mould, at least, but you will have little recourse if it doesn't work for you. Personally, I have had good luck with gunshow "stuff" but I fancy that "mostly" I know what I'm looking for (and of course, it is "right now":mrgreen:).

Further, there are other moulds that are plenty good enough, like Lyman, RCBS, Saeco, if you prefer iron moulds or NEI (make iron at a premium) or Lee aluminum moulds. The aluminum moulds have given me good to excellent service but they can be somewhat fragile.

Or, you can spend tons on a new Custom Mould and may or may not get what you want.

Some people just don't/or won't know that bullet moulds are extremely fragile and subject to serious damage with the slightest carelessness. Therefore, most any used mould you can't examine can (not nessarily "will") lead to problems.

FWIW
Dale53