PDA

View Full Version : God With Us

WRideout
06-08-2017, 09:31 PM
Through the ages people have understood their relationship with God in different ways. When Moses led the Israelites in the wilderness, God called him to Mount Sinai, and spoke to him.

Genesis 24:
“The Lord replied, ‘Go down and Bring Aaron up with you, but the priests and the people must not force their way through to come up to the Lord, or He will break out against them.’ So Moses went down to the people and told them.”

Later God tells Moses that “You cannot see my face, because no one may see me and live.” There is a separation between mankind and Holy God. Anyone coming too close might suffer death; such is the gulf between man’s sinfulness and God’s holiness. But still, we seek to be in the presence of God. And so God ordained priests to be the intermediaries for the people, to approach the most holy God.

The priests were perfect physical specimens, and required to be ritually clean, in every way. Even though they could not see the face of God, they were allowed to present the sacrifices of the people to the Lord. And they also gathered with the Israelites at the Tent of the Meeting, where the sacrifices were offered, and the people approached their God.

But God did not desire that his people, Israel, would forever be kept at a distance. In the fullness of time, Jesus Christ came to fill the role of the High Priest, but more than that, to be God incarnate; God who became a man of flesh and bone. John tells us in his Gospel that Christ was the Word that existed before the beginning of the universe. The Word that was with God, and was God. The Apostle Paul tells us in Colossians that Christ is the image of the invisible God, by whom and for whom all things were created, visible and invisible. Jesus Christ is God come to earth to dwell among us.

Jesus knew that his purpose was to die, be resurrected, and ascend to his father. What pitiful people we would be if that were the end of the story! But he knew that God would not leave his people desolate, and so his gift to the disciples was to tell them that there would be a Counselor, a Holy Spirit, a Spirit of Truth that would be with them forever. This was no idle comment such as we are likely to make. We might say to someone we know, “I’ll come over to visit,” each knowing full well that this will never happen. God, through Christ, promised the Holy Spirit to be our comforter, and God’s promises will not fail.

Jesus said that anything we ask in his name, we shall have. This does not mean that God is giving out favors, like a good parking spot, a favorite meal, or even a healthy baby. Rather, it is recognition that Christ is our intermediary, and that through his sacrificial death and resurrection, we now are enabled to approach God, through his authority. We do not have to repeat the words, “In Jesus name, amen.” to acknowledge this truth.

Wayne

Hogtamer
06-09-2017, 07:41 PM
Doing good til the last sentence. Asking the Father in the Son's name is the only way to approach the throne of Grace with our petitions.

John 14: 13-14
John 15: 16
John 16: 22-24
I Timothy 2:5

1johnlb
06-10-2017, 05:42 AM
Don't take the Lord's name in vain. The word vain has several definitions and 1 metaphor definition which was birth from theology, but the definition that best fits the entirety of scripture is ; without power. Remember we are the bride which takes His name.

Paul spoke repetitiously about in Christ, in Him, in the Son, in Jesus, in the Anointing and His many names.

And Jesus in John 14, 15, and 16 as you pointed out. Talked exclusively about being in Him and He in us and the Father in us. Abiding IN Him. In Him we have the victory, because He's overcome the world.

The power in our prayer comes from being in Christ Jesus, not just from using His name at the end of our prayer, although I highly recommend it.

Remember the priest sons in acts that tried to cast out the demon. Paul and Peter i know, Jesus I know, but who are you.

Paul from moment he was blinded on the road was in Christ, and being in Christ is what made the scales fall from his eyes, the chains and prison doors loose free and what set the prison guard free. Not just simply without power using His name at the end of a prayer.

Why are some peoples prayers answered and others are not , I just told you.

Thundarstick
06-10-2017, 11:37 AM
Why are some peoples prayers answered and others are not

Just because what we pray for doesn't happen, doesn't mean a prayer wasn't answered.

Blackwater
06-10-2017, 03:14 PM
Amen, Thunderstick. He ALWAYS answers. Sometimes the answer is just "no," or maybe "not now."

And thanks, Wayne, for a great post. I don't and won't get entangled in the semantics of the matter. There's just not much to gain in that. All I come here for is for inspiration, and your post gave that in spades. Thanks.

1johnlb
06-10-2017, 04:43 PM
Just because what we pray for doesn't happen, doesn't mean a prayer wasn't answered.

So are you explaining away John14:14

10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves 12 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

Jesus made us a promise, " You may ask anything and I will do it". again " ANYTHING AND I WILL DO IT."

Every prayer for those in Him are answered.

For all the promises of God in Him are yea, and in Him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.".2cor1:20

IN HIM! In Him yes and amen, not sometimes no or in other ways that we don't understand. He said ," so the Father would be glorified". How can He be Glorified if He only answered "a prayer"?

We either believe all the word or we don't. If we don't believe all the word or begin to put aside the things we don't understand as flawed, we give place to leaven or unbelief adding to the word with powerless theology, we take the Lord's name in vain.

tarbe
06-10-2017, 04:55 PM
So are you explaining away John14:14

Jesus made us a promise, " You may ask anything and I will do it". again " ANYTHING AND I WILL DO IT."

Every prayer for those in Him are answered.

I believe that the context that your statement is true is that in which the asker is praying in the will of God.

Unfortunately for most of us, much (?) of the time, we ask amiss. We are not asking within the will of God.

Then, beyond that, we misinterpret the answers! Or fail to realize that God's timing is drastically different from ours!

Peace to all the brethren!

Tim

tarbe
06-10-2017, 05:00 PM
We either believe all the word or we don't. If we don't believe all the word or begin to put aside the things we don't understand as flawed, we give place to leaven or unbelief adding to the word with powerless theology, we take the Lord's name in vain.

I would be very interested in your take on Matthew 24:34...the verse that C. S. Lewis claimed was "the most embarrassing verse in the Bible".

I think more than a few people "throw that verse out" because they don't like it....

regards,

Tim

Thundarstick
06-10-2017, 05:55 PM
Yes, they are answered! Always in the way we want our expect? No!

My son asked me for a fast new car. I can afford to give it, but I don't. I give him something better, the opportunity to work to buy his own, and along the way learn self-discipline, self-control, and worth. That's why I feel like he's my father. He's still working on me! God's answering prayers I haven't even asked!
O, and I do believe it all, all the way back to he created it all in 6 days and rested on the 7th! Some times I think we just get things out of context.

tarbe
06-10-2017, 06:44 PM
Some times I think we just get things out of context.

Oh yeah!

1johnlb
06-10-2017, 09:28 PM
I would be very interested in your take on Matthew 24:34...the verse that C. S. Lewis claimed was "the most embarrassing verse in the Bible".

I think more than a few people "throw that verse out" because they don't like it....

regards,

Tim

Matthew24:3434 Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened

It's my belief that generation here means the new covenant era. From the cross until the end. If you read the whole chapter He'sspeaking to the decipiles about the end of times and all the things that's gonna happen before the end, then how the elect is called out of the four winds. A generation is a period of time of people, we typically considerto be people close to the same age, but this is Jesus "Immanuel" speaking, He's seen all the generations, Adam=pre law, Moses=law and The last adam=grace.. That's 3 generations of people.

1johnlb
06-10-2017, 10:07 PM
Yes, they are answered! Always in the way we want our expect? No!

My son asked me for a fast new car. I can afford to give it, but I don't. I give him something better, the opportunity to work to buy his own, and along the way learn self-discipline, self-control, and worth. That's why I feel like he's my father. He's still working on me! God's answering prayers I haven't even asked!
O, and I do believe it all, all the way back to he created it all in 6 days and rested on the 7th! Some times I think we just get things out of context.

Phil4:19And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.

If a man is praying for a fast car, he IS NOT in Christ Jesus.If we are lead by the Spirit then we are in Christ Jesus. A man in Christ Jesus has no need that God hasn't already made provision for. He gives us what we need when we need it.

Some times I think we just get things out of context.

oooooh yeah, we completely neglect reading pre and post text completely ignoring the little words. And even worse completely failing to put the word to work, it takes faith.

I made the statement, why are some peoples prayers answered and others are not, because, that's what He asked me a while back. when He asked it, I knew I needed the answer.

IF any man be IN Christ, he is a new creation