PDA

View Full Version : Gotta Love Those Pre-Expanded Boolits!

Bug
11-11-2005, 04:46 PM
I finally decided something had to give. I've spent the last month taking pics and video of deer, with never a decent bow shot at one I really wanted to take. I've had maybe 15 deer under 25 yards, but not the right one, or not with the right shot. So much for archery hunting.
Last weekend opened up the general (gun) season. I've had opportunities every time I went out, but the bigger bucks are now being kinda shy. Wednsday evening I had a cull/scrub 6-point come in to about 30 feet. I had no idea of shooting him. I "practiced" aiming at him, with the 10" Contender and 2X Leupold, several times. Then he began to walk off to my right, and presented a broadside at about 50 feet. Before I realised what was going on, my thumb cocked the hammer, and the trigger pulled itself. I was dumbstruck! This was NOT what I had envisioned! This was supposed to be at least an eighteen-inch eight point! Thank goodness for all that 100-150 yd. practicing I did this summer!
I did have the presence of mind to watch which way he ran. He made it about 40 yds., and piled up just inside the woods. The 250gr AC WW SWCHP slid thru low and snugged up just behind both shoulders, broke a rib on either side, and stirred up a cloud of dust. Moving at 1450 from a 21gr charge of 2400, that little 100lb. buck had no chance of stopping that boolit. Wish I could've found where it hit the dirt, I'da dug it up! An informal necropsy shows why he went down in about 3-4 seconds. DANG, what a hole!