PDA

View Full Version : Molds, dimension and form

RasKebir
06-06-2017, 07:51 AM
Hi guys,
I would like to built myself a casting machine but, . . . first questions . . .
The molds have all the same external dimension?
Exist a standard for the dimensions and form? Or each one think himself?

Thankyou

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-06-2017, 11:52 AM
I only hand cast (no machine), I have lots of molds, and the external dimensions vary greatly from brand to brand, as well as, sprue plate styles.

Are you going to copy a existing design? if so, they I'd go with the mold block size and style of the machine you are copying.
If you are going to create a new design of machine, then I'd use the mold block size of a mold manufacturer that is readily available to you, since you are not in the USA.

for reference to other members reading this, posted in the long long welcome new members thread.

Greetings to all users C.B. from nort east of Italy, near Torino, in a small village. Good wine, good cheeses and so many green hills where does the "Fassone", the famous Piemontese meat. . . . . and, of course, a abandoned quarry where to go to practice on saturday and sunday.

My name is Arturo, I'm "just" 49, married, 3 kids.

This forum is wonderful. I've been checking this forum out for awhile and it seem everyone is so friendly. One I have noticed is the amount and the quality of information, is formidable. Thanks very much.

I obviously speak Italian, I speak and write very well French, I speak and write very bad in English, sorry.
My compliment to the staff and user Cast Boolits

gwpercle
06-06-2017, 12:44 PM
No standard external dimensions , seems each maker has different dimensions.

Welcome to the forum .
Gary

RasKebir
06-07-2017, 03:08 AM
Thankyou for quick replys,
I wold make a automatic melter machine whith four or six molds. ( 90° or 60° of revolution)
I can buy the molds obviously, but I wold like make it myself. Where is the fun if not?
The structure and mecanical parts and automation is not a problem, so I would -first- incoming whit a mold draw.
When I will be able to achieve a good mold, I will begin to realize the rest of the melt machine.
I can get an idea of the external dimensions of the mold by looking at my LEE and RCBS molds but they seem so small for a job on an automatic machine.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-07-2017, 08:41 AM
That sounds like a good plan.

While I can't help much with automatic machine design, there are a few here that could probably be of some help.

I will offer this, in regards to mold block size. It seems to me, that different materials will dissipate heat at different rates. Also, Cavity size will effect how the mold will maintain the proper operating temperature, which is very important to bullet consistency. Now, the speed of the automatic machine can fine tune that, but I believe there is some science to calculating the proper mold block size.

I wish you, the best of luck.

RasKebir
06-07-2017, 09:48 AM
Now, the speed of the automatic machine can fine tune that, but I believe there is some science to calculating the proper mold block size.

Well.
I can adjust the casting speed.
The mold would like it to be perfect in size, material and execution.
Now, I can decide on the material, I can do spectacular workmanship but I should know at least the outside dimensions of the blank mold.

RasKebir
06-07-2017, 09:53 AM
In my mechanical workshop I have a lot of this material (http://www.bohler-edelstahl.com/en/K720.php), I thought I would use this to make molds.