PDA

View Full Version : Heavy boolit suggestions for .300BLK

njc110381
06-05-2017, 04:40 PM
Hi chaps. Long time no see. I had a quick look about to see if I could spot anything obvious, but decided it was a good plan to just ask the question!

I'm looking at making a .300BLK bolt gun and that thought has in turn got me wondering what sort of bullets/boolits I will feed it. Main intention is to go heavy and subsonic, so I'm thinking cast is the way forward. But from what I can see Lee doesn't offer a mould that doesn't have a gas check base?

Would a .30 cal running at under 1100fps need a check? I'm thinking not? Ideally what I want is 220gr+ and hollow point, although that may start to complicate matters? Just a plain old round nose would probably do. So what mould options do I have? Ideally not big money, but I'm willing to invest a sensible amount in a good tool.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Bodean98
06-05-2017, 07:34 PM
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=30_353&osCsid=l1rhtnd53ul64u4sasv0d9fvn6

This one is pretty hard to beat. I am using it in my AR with decent results. I have read of others using it in a bolt gun with great results. Needs a maximum of 1 in 8 twist with a 1 in 7 probably preferable. My AR has a 1/8 and it's on the ragged edge of stability. The RG models can be made to expand reliably at subsonic velocities. If expansion is not a concern the standard version will work well. You can get this mold either plain base or gas check style. My mold is GC but it is probably not needed at the lower velocities. It is what was available when I had the cash to spend!:bigsmyl2:

JimB..
06-05-2017, 11:33 PM
tag, am thinking about the same but for a Handi Rifle.

njc110381
06-06-2017, 02:48 AM
Thanks Bodean. That's quite a list of moulds to work with! The four cavity RG4 PB looks spot on.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of the various materials available? I'm not sure I've seen a brass mould before?

KMac
06-06-2017, 08:19 AM
What are the advantages/disadvantages of the various materials available? I'm not sure I've seen a brass mould before?
This is from the FAQ on Accurate Molds:

What are some of the properties of the different mold metals?

2024 Aluminum is very durable, light weight, and inexpensive. Its propensity to change temperature quickly is seen by some as a disadvantage, since molds produce their best bullets within a narrow temperature sweet spot.

Ductile Iron is the most durable of the commonly used mold metals. It is easier to maintain a more consistent temperature. It is lighter weight than brass and heavier than aluminum. Its biggest disadvantage is propensity to rust. Iron is rough on delicate boring tools, and so it is the most expensive.

360 Brass is a bit heavier than iron, and costs less because of ease of machining. It maintains temperature very well. Some see its weight as a disadvantage.

Sprew plates and hardware are carbon steel.

My favorite for my own casting is aluminum.

njc110381
06-06-2017, 08:48 AM
Thanks for that KMac. My Lee .457/405 mould works perfectly well for me so I guess temperature fluctuations would be even more manageable with smaller boolits? I'll probably go for the 4 cavity hollow point version in aluminium if I go ahead with the gun.

I'm now stuck on whether to buy a Ruger Ranch already made for £550 or build one for what would probably end up being double that?

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk

Moonie
06-06-2017, 01:45 PM
Iron is heavy and requires the most upkeep as they will rust. Brass is also heavy but will not rust (steel parts on them will however). Aluminum will is much lighter than iron or brass but doesn't hold heat as well and is softer than iron and somewhat softer than Brass.

My preference is Aluminum however brass is a close second in smaller molds, I did just receive a 4 cavity brass from mp-molds that I'm currently temperature cycling so I can cast with it in the next couple of days.

Also note that the Aluminum used by the custom makers are more durable than the aluminum used by Lee. Not bashing Lee as I have more Lee molds than any other maker but it is what it is.

Moonie
06-06-2017, 01:47 PM
On the subject in the OP I have the Accurate Molds version of the 247gr (listed as a 245gr) and it shoots very well, mine is gas checked as I also was shooting it in a 30-06.

Smoke4320
06-06-2017, 01:57 PM
NOE 311247 That's a great bullet in a HP or cup point and 50/50 lead mix . Powdercoated
Shot subsonic or up to 1450 fps no check needed
use it in a AR and a Ruger American

Have some difficulty feeding in the Ruger none at all in the AR

Bodean98
06-06-2017, 06:45 PM
My mold is a NOE aluminum 4 cavity. I have no trouble keeping it hot enough while casting. Usually have to slow my cadence or cool the melt to keep the mold from getting too hot.
It can be a slippery slope buying a custom mold. I think you will find as I did that the quality and ease of use of a custom mold so far out paces your Lee mold that you will think you have died and gone to Heaven. Not bashing Lee. They are a useable mold and if not for Lee, I probably would not have gotten started casting. The customs from Accurate or NOE are superior tools for casting good boolits. I now own 3 each of the Accurate and NOE molds as well as 1 LBT mold, all of them are aluminum.

Dave18
06-11-2017, 10:48 AM
original noe 247 , and the latter one that came out, along with a lee 230,

for me they all shoot in my guns, but you can tell the lee is on the undersize end of things, it doesn't develop the same resistance like the noe bullets do, which raises your port pressures, for cycling, but out of a bolt gun it does surprisingly well considering all the neg words about the lee mold/bullet, and fyi, most of my shooting with the blkout is 100yds and under