PDA

View Full Version : SPG Black powder bullet lube for PCP airguns?

Eric G.
06-04-2017, 01:54 PM
I shoot a Texan .457 and am getting some leading, thereby reducing accuracy. I try not to expose the area near the breech to any petroleum based lubricants nor solvents.
Would it be beneficial to use SPG black powder bullet lube (which I believe is made from animal fat/tallow and beeswax) to reduce lead fouling?

country gent
06-04-2017, 03:51 PM
It might work. I would try sparingly as the dieseling affect can be interesting to say the least. Another might be emmerts lube 40%Crisco 50% beeswax 5% canola oil ( here I might substitute JoJoba oil) and if desired 5% lanolin. A small amount of canubra wax could also be added here to

melloairman
06-04-2017, 09:50 PM
There is no heat to burn the lube off . It will more than likely do more harm than good . Use a lube that dries' . I use dry slide which is a silicon that dries auto parts stores carry it some times called fifth wheel pull out lube . Any silicon or Teflon spray [like bike chain lube ] that dries and is not tacky will work . Also I have found that if I size my bullets more than .0015 over groove I get a lot of leading right out of the lead .Marvin

country gent
06-05-2017, 11:30 AM
While no heat to burn off lube, the compression pressure will cause a diesel affect igniting solvents and petroleum products explosively at times Simple compression from firing causes this.

idahoron
06-05-2017, 10:21 PM
I wonder if you could paper patch those bullets? You would protect the bullet from the barrel and the barrel from the lead. I have been doing it for Muzzleloaders for over a decade.

DougGuy
06-06-2017, 10:39 PM
I use Krytox on my pcp guns. It's more like a thicker vaseline but it's safe in an air tube and will not combust or diesel. You could try it in the bore and see if it works.