PDA

View Full Version : how would you

white eagle
05-31-2017, 11:20 PM
handle this:
I own a small piece of property it has a small 4 ac field on the back side of it, my property it has a old fence line and I put a stand in the treeline along that fence line.Along comes the neighbors son and he puts up a tree stand not 8' from that stand of mine.He is young probably 1-2 yrs hunting away from dad so I see no fault on him>I asked his dad what was up with the stand and he said that they never seen anyone hunting there so they put it up supposedly to video deer and archery hunt in their field but his stand is facing my field.They have 8x the property I do but not only do they put up a stand from an existing one but 100 yds from the stand I use to hunt that field.
I find the father at fault for not teaching his kid hunting ethics and neighborly courtesy.
What say you?:killingpc

jsizemore
05-31-2017, 11:47 PM
We have close hunting where I live. The rule is, You can shoot what you want anywhere you want on your land. I make room for kids and girls that want to hunt. Our hunting season runs from Sept 1 to Jan 1 so we have plenty of time. Not everybody is hunting every day.

JBinMN
06-01-2017, 12:22 AM
I would talk to the Dad again about the way the stand is facing... Or, just ask the neighbor for permission to hunt his land, while mentioning that you only have about 4 acres & he has 8 times more land.

If that doesn't work out, then maybe put up a "No Hunting Without Permission" sign [with your name , tel #, address, etc to make it legal for Mn.] right on your fence line facing the kids stand. Then either he will turn the stand around & hunt his property instead of yours, or, he will be hunting on your side of the line & be breaking the law if he takes a deer on your land w/out permission.

There are some other suggestions I have, but I would not offer them here. I just stuck with the "nicer" ones.

I have had this issue before & am still very unhappy about it even today after 10+ years. Unfortunately, there are a lot of folks like this it seems.

I wish ya G'Luck! in your situation & hope you will let us know how it all ends. Hopefully for everyones satisfaction.
;)

rancher1913
06-01-2017, 12:25 AM
Sounds like you are hunting their property and are upset that they want to hunt yours. If it's my property, I can do as I please as long as I do not trespass on another's property.

Dryball
06-01-2017, 12:32 AM
If it's on his property...his right, but ask if he wouldn't mind creating a mutually acceptable schedule. If it's on yours try talking nicely to them. If that doesn't work take the stand down and put it on their property...being a respectful neighbor goes a long way most of the time.

David2011
06-01-2017, 01:56 AM
It's not clear from your post if you're only shooting on your property. If you aren't shooting off of your land, just my opinion, you are not unreasonable to want to protect your area. Four acres, if square, would only be a little over 400 feet on each side. Not a huge area. If the neighbors won't be neighborly it sounds like the "No Hunting" sign per your state law is in order. Good luck! Nobody wants a sour relationship with neighbors.

Wayne Smith
06-01-2017, 07:40 AM
He's a kid. Hunting ethics is not native or natural. Time for education, probably of the father but certainly the kid.

crowbuster
06-01-2017, 08:38 AM
respect and common courtesy as well as common sense has flown the coop these days for the most part. I would talk to the both of them, explain the saftey factors involved of hunting to close as well as double human activity and scent. Good luck, you have to live with em, thats a sticky wicket.

white eagle
06-01-2017, 10:21 AM
my property is 15 ac with a 4 ac field on the back side.Its long and rectangular.I have had the property for the better part of 30 years.I have a stand in the inside corner where I normally hunt and have another stand in the fence line directly in front of that one,which is where the neighbor kid decided to put his 8' from mine.His stand is on their property but only an arms length and it faces my property.I do not hunt their property which is over 85 ac never have but they seem to think they can hunt mine.

JBinMN
06-01-2017, 11:30 AM
I still think, even with the new info, that Negotiate... then Signage if necessary.... Law Enforcement, if it comes to that. Would likely be the best route.

I would stick to that in a public forum, anyway. Other, "legal"options are available, but in doing them it may reduce the likelihood of "you" getting a shot at a deer in that area also.

Crappy situation, and you apparently did not create it. IBTDT.

bruce drake
06-01-2017, 11:51 AM
Does the father acknowledge that the stand is facing in the wrong direction to hunt his property? He may not be aware of the direction the stand is facing and may have just told the son to "go put a stand on the treeline on the south side of the property" with the son not understanding the ethics behind the stand placement and the father not following up on the work.

popper
06-01-2017, 12:22 PM
Without an agreement, if he takes/recovers game from your land he's poaching. Tree line on both sides of the property line? If bow hunting, he must think the trail comes from your property or down the fence line. IMHO, not an accidental placement. Take pics and document. Make friends with the game warden. Got a telephoto video cam?

white eagle
06-01-2017, 12:46 PM
actually the father says "I haven't seen anyone hunt that stand". He know exactly which way the stand faces,sadly. There is a trail that comes out of his property into and in front of the stand I have there. That stand has been there for as long as I owned the property bout 30 years they are new owners probably 20 years or so. Their property runs behind mine and along the side of it kind of like a upside down L.

Sur-shot
06-01-2017, 12:58 PM
Suggest you look into trespass laws. I own, a tree farm. In FL you must have written permission, on your person, or you are trespassing, there are two sets of laws, one involves a misdemeanor violation and the other a felony violation. However you can be arrested for either versions by the owner or his appointed representative. In both instances a fence is evidence of a travel through or presence prohibition, no signs are necessary. The felony occurs when you go onto another person's Agricultural property with a firearm, without their written permission, in Florida

Most states have an entire section of statutes regards what constitutes trespass and the various degrees of trespass. They probably are on the internet.

I am not like the rest of these folks, your neighbor has shown a disregard for your rights and your relationship from the get go. The proper question for him, in my opinion, would be: "since your shooting house is pretty much on the property line, and is facing onto my land, exactly how are you going to shoot into my property, retrieve a shot deer from my property, all without trespassing onto my property or violating the laws about shooting into or over my property?" Most states do have laws prohibiting shooting over or into another person's property, from outside that property.
Ed

crowbuster
06-01-2017, 01:35 PM
Put up a trail cam facing his stand. Dont try and hide it. He mite move it. Sur-shot, i have delt with these matters many times, i have over reacted a time or 2, but it wasnt my neighbor. Gotta live with em, no need to make matters worse, unless called for. But I would have somebody in that stand, just to tee him off if a pow wow didnt solve it.

white eagle
06-01-2017, 01:35 PM
I am not like the rest of these folks, your neighbor has shown a disregard for your rights and your relationship from the get go.

that is the way I feel sadly its like that stand placement is saying up yours
my plan is if it is not moved I will build a stand directly in front of it

Omega
06-01-2017, 01:40 PM
Easy, place a feeder in that spot during hunting season. Remove it when you want to hunt, within the legal timeframe to be legal of course, here it's 10 days prior.

StolzerandSons
06-01-2017, 01:53 PM
I would agree with the wise posts that say take the course of least conflict first BUT if all of those things fail I would probably do one of two things. First is put up the legal signage and also a trail cam in a spot that would clearly catch him violating your property and poaching according to state law. IF you catch him on the trail cam have him prosecuted to the full extent of the law. You won't have a very good relationship with the neighbor afterwards but it will solve the problem.

Option two, depending on how high his stand is and if as you say it is about an arms length from your property line you could put up a couple sheets of plywood on your side of the line and essentially cut off any potential of him having a shot. It would be like staring at a wall and definitely send a clear message. Legal and harmless but again not a good way to keep a happy relationship with the neighbors.

Rufus Krile
06-01-2017, 03:49 PM
Put up a sign that says "Please do not shoot toward MY property". Make it out of cardboard, preferably a couple of refrigerator boxes put together... It should be about 6' tall and 10'-12' long and should be placed on 2" X 2" posts high enough to block the view of your property from his blind. Cheap, effective, passive/aggressive, and legal. If that doesn't work for whatever reason (like them tearing it down...) just paint a red and white round target on two sides of HIS blind... Subtlety is not my forte.

Just read the preceding msg... great minds....

jsizemore
06-01-2017, 04:31 PM
We have to mark our property lines to show the boundaries. I'd mark the boundaries and put up a trail cam to show if he does actually shoot on your property. I know I don't like folks telling me what I can and can't do on my property and I won't do it to somebody else.

Blackwater
06-01-2017, 05:55 PM
This is really a property rights issue, with a little "character" issue mixed in. Technically, there's really nothing you CAN do. They're within their rights, just as you are within theirs. And they may have more land, but deer may not use that land during photography hours, and if it were me, I'd just hunt it when I wanted, and let the rest just work out like it works out, and just accept it. Yeah, it may involve some disappointment, but .... what could avoid that disappointment? I don't see any real solution that won't make things even worse, and establish something less than good will between neighbors, which is ALWAYS a bigger issue than an occasional hunt.

I think I'd just look for other places to hunt, but that's easy for me to say here in rural America. So .... all I know for sure is I'd think long and hard before making my neighbors angry with me. Even if it's disappointing sometimes. More can be lost in the process of expunging our frustrations than could ever be repaired again. So .... when in doubt, try hard to cut your losses, and not to create even more and bigger problems down the line.

If he's a kid, he may have seen deer there where he put his stand, and may well not know any better than to think it didn't bother you or your hunts. Kids can miss a lot of things that seem obvious to us. And his Dad may just be glad he's out hunting or taking pics instead of doing drugs or keeping his nose glued into some electronic device. Lots of stuff to consider here, which is why I'd try to find more hunting spots if it were me. FWIW????

Handloader109
06-01-2017, 06:03 PM
But don't Trespass yourself to do the latter......

If it were me, I'd move to the other corner of the property, (if Possible) and put up feeder close to it. Change the deer's preferred path. And I'd probably put up trail cam just in case. I tend to want decent relations with a neighbor, but I'm not really that friendly either. You don't want him firing your way. Couch any discussion in relation to Safety. And how you fear for yours as his is facing your stand. I'd limit the wall building if I were you unless things escalate. Then PLYWOOD would go up! Along with an electrified fence wire that would slow down entry into your property......

JBinMN
06-01-2017, 09:55 PM
Making a little "tour" & meet your "other neighbors" that have land adjacent to this persons property( and maybe yours) might also give some insight into how to handle this. Perhaps you are not the first one to deal with this type of situation. There might be someone else who has dealt with this right there in this neck of the woods that can help.

Another thing to consider... is to talk to the Local Cons. Officer about what he/she suggests on how to deal with a situation like this... Maybe there is some background there that you have not been privy to, that may help you in the situation also.

The more info/knowledge you have , the better you can make your decisions.
;)

G'Luck!
:)

nvbirdman
06-01-2017, 10:31 PM
Keep a good eye on his stand. Every time you see him go to his stand, holler out very loudly "Hi neighbor, getting any good pictures yet".

leeggen
06-01-2017, 11:04 PM
You could move your stand then put up a feeder that has feed 24/7/365. Now he is hunting over a baited area. When he moves his stand you will want to remember he will install a feeder also. Infact install a couple feeders then as the deer move with the feeder you can pull them further onto your property. Move your stand away from the property line and just save the neighbor relations. Also talk to the local game warden and see what they recommend, then follow their directions.
CD

Petrol & Powder
06-01-2017, 11:25 PM
The last thing I would do is escalate the conflict. When it is all said and done, guess what? You will still be adjacent property owners.
You may not be "neighbors" but you will still be in the same geographic relationship.

The old saying about good fences making good neighbors is more about having clear boundaries than it is about enforcing those boundaries. I would ask the adult neighbor if he was aware that the tree stand faced your property. And I would do that politely and without being accusatory. If he replies that he wasn't aware that the stand faced your property you then have an excellent opportunity to politely point out that his son may be confused about who owns what. If he says he does know the stand faces your property, you say OK and walk away. It's not against the law to build a stand on your own property and you can face that stand in any direction you want.
At that point you must decide what it's worth to you. Personally, unless they are actively trespassing, I'd let it go.

slownsteady22
06-02-2017, 12:08 AM
Just build a big box blind directly across from his stand on your property facing his stand=)

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk

white eagle
06-03-2017, 10:11 AM
Sounds like you are hunting their property and are upset that they want to hunt yours. If it's my property, I can do as I please as long as I do not trespass on another's property.

not at all my stand is on my property
I will not even shoot at any game on their land but unfortunately they do not share that sentiment

gon2shoot
06-03-2017, 04:50 PM
I have an understanding with my neighbors and those who hunt on them. If a round comes across my property line, I'll consider myself under attack and respond accordingly. I am very careful to ensure any round I fire stays on my land.

popper
06-03-2017, 11:38 PM
The situation you describe shows intent to poach. Especially with bow.
Minn. law is $1K + extra $ for points, loss of license. Even considering making it a felony. If they would poach, they probably don't care about open season either. i see nothing ethical in the situation and the G.W. will take about 5 sec. for the same decision. Take pics and show the warden. DNR may even set up a camera for you. Crumbs fall where they may. You don't want to get involved if the OP gets in trouble - or accused of co-conspiring.

w5pv
06-04-2017, 11:07 AM
Stay within the laws of your domain.

funnyjim014
06-05-2017, 12:30 PM
On your side of the line, put a sheet of ply wood on posts 10ft off the ground and in big red letters write POSTED.Maybe they will get the hint

fatelk
06-05-2017, 01:19 PM
Does your neighbor know that you don't want them hunting or shooting onto your property? Maybe he's clueless and doesn't realize it's a problem.

If he's a reasonable sort at all, it shouldn't be hard to politely let him know that you'd prefer yourself to be the only one hunting your property. Done tactfully you should be able to clue him in while hopefully preserving a neighborly relationship. If that doesn't work, then I would think some no hunting or trespassing signs would be in order.

Moleman-
06-05-2017, 02:02 PM
I've run into this more times that I'd like to count on my familys land. Two times that best match this (not blatant trespassing) were when outfitters/customers on neighboring land put up stands within 4-8 foot from the fence line facing our fields. Either way you look at it they were hunting our fields. Figured out one guy was there while walking back to my stand after lunch I found a dirty furrow in the dusting of snow on the bean field where a ML bullet had stuck about 250yds away from his stand, even found his bright yellow sabot closer to the stand. Didn't notice him sooner as we never push the lines and the idiot wasn't wearing blaze orange as required by law. My cousin and I spoke with him. It was easy to convince him to move his stand since he'd already been shooting into our field. The other was an outfitter set up a treestand overlooking a small field of my cousins in the woods. The base of that tree was 4 maybe 5 feet from the fence around my cousins field. He went and spoke to the land owner who initially sided with the outfitter, until he realized that the way the stand was set up the hunter would only be hunting 4-5 feet of his land, or the 100yd by 300yd field of my cousins. Had the stand faced the other way we never would of gone over and spoken to the land owner and we pointed that out even if it was a tree on the line on our side of the fence. Opening day the stand was gone and we never had another issue with them. I live 9hrs away from there now so I lease a section of land. The hunter east of me (same land owner) put up a stand just inside my lease hunting a small wooded area where deer usually bed that I like to leave alone and only hunt 1-2 times a season. Never have met that hunter to talk with him so I let the land owner know. Land owner kind of acted like it wasn't a big deal. That small crescent of woods is the only thing in the northern 40 acres of that lease that isn't plowed field. It's about 60yds long and about 25 yards at it's widest. So I left it at either he moved the stand or start paying for 1/3 of my lease. After hunting private land for 30 years, state land was an eye opener for me for just how rude other hunters can be. I lease hunting ground for the same reason I'd buy it which is so I can just be left alone and hunt in peace.

If you've hunted that stand for 30 years I'd continue to do so. You're doing nothing wrong and while it my be bad manners to set up a stand as he did he isn't breaking any rules until he shoots a deer across the fence. The kid will soon get bored and move his stand especially if there is someone nearby that would see him poaching. Might be an opportunity to guide him in the right direction that his father doesn't seem to be doing.

David2011
06-05-2017, 02:25 PM
Would a boom box in your blind playing loud music keep the deer away while the neighbor is hunting? Maybe a recording of dogs or coyotes howling? I don't see how that would be considered an electronic attractant but would check with the game warden first.

Eamonn
06-05-2017, 03:16 PM
Would a boom box in your blind playing loud music keep the deer away while the neighbor is hunting? Maybe a recording of dogs or coyotes howling? I don't see how that would be considered an electronic attractant but would check with the game warden first.
I don't mean to detract from the severity of the issue but a motion detector setting of the YMCA song would be hilarious as well as effective.

What a wonderful world it would be if you could just reason with people.

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

rancher1913
06-06-2017, 12:17 PM
not at all my stand is on my property
I will not even shoot at any game on their land but unfortunately they do not share that sentiment

sorry, your original post was a little unclear, later on it made more sense, but unless you catch him actually hunting your land he has done nothing illegal, immoral but not illegal. probably talking to game warden has been the best advice given so far.

brstevns
06-06-2017, 12:28 PM
Had the same problem on my cousins farm where I use to hunt. finally put a no hunting no trespassing sign on a long pole and placed it right in front of his stand. He got the message

popper
06-06-2017, 01:17 PM
Texas law. That is in addition to shooting at or near buildings, etc. This includes any projectile.
1.Shooting across a boundary fence line will become illegal and cost about $250 for first offense.
2.No Trespassing will become a law with teeth, about $250 for first offense.
3. Stands and feeders on boundary fences will become illegal.

Reminds me of a story from a work buddy that had land in E. Texas. Went to his place, logging chain was down and he was approached by 2 armed hunters who told him to leave, he was trespassing. He went to the sheriff who said he knew the guys and would take care of the problem. Yea, right.