PDA

View Full Version : First woods walk shoot

RU shooter
05-31-2017, 09:46 AM
Went on my first woods walk shoot Sunday morning and had an blast !!! We only shot half the targets as it was threatening to rain at any moment also very humid . There was 13 shooters in the group . I did fair for my first go round placing 7th , top 6 shooters win meat prizes ,hopefully next month ! After the walk we had a meal of potluck and hot coffee around the campfire. At the end we did a paper shoot for the last meat prize top two shooters win meat . I was a great time with fellow traditional BP shooters making smoke and telling excuses why we missed the targets . Only issue I had with the match was the targets were painted a dull orange and me being very color blind was hard to make out what was what with a multicolored leafy back ground so I just sorta aimed for a shape I thought was the target . I was real surprised how challenging some of the targets were like the "acorn station " was at 10 yds and was a green grape hanging from a string ! Wow yeah I missed that one . Same with the axe blade ball split at 7 yds yes close but hit the side of it . Lots of fun I was shooting my Dixie 50 cal tenn rifle 40 gr 3F and used spit patches the entire morning no need to wipe the bore at all . if anyone is from the southern Pa area or even N WVa or eastern OH and want to shoot it's open to the public . The match is held just south of Pittsburgh .

Tim

bosterr
05-31-2017, 10:41 AM
Name of the club/range? Name of town? Thanks! How bout them Pens!

RU shooter
05-31-2017, 11:03 AM
Name of the club/range? Name of town? Thanks! How bout them Pens!

It's at the Clairton sportsmans club close to the Jefferson hills hospital on rt 51 http://www.powderpatchandball.com/index.htm

Another club that has a woods walk and that I plan on going next month is Forest grove sportsmans it's out by the airport.

Yep 3 more wins is all we need !!! Let's go Pens!

waksupi
06-01-2017, 09:47 AM
Target color is hard for many people. Different light conditions have a big effect. I like a medium blue target, as it stands out pretty good among the trees and brush. However, most of the clubs here paint either orange or white. White is a REAL challenge at the winter shoots.
'I really like trail walks, and don't care for paper shooting. There are some Canadians who stopped coming to our shoots, because we DON'T shoot paper!

Hanshi
06-01-2017, 12:57 PM
While I've only been to two woods walks, I thoroughly enjoyed both. You're on your way to more fun than should be legal!

Maven
06-01-2017, 01:08 PM
"I was real surprised how challenging some of the targets were like the "acorn station " was at 10 yds and was a green grape hanging from a string!" ...RU s

Glad you enjoyed the woods walk, RU s as they are surely a good time. Btw, after attending a few, you'll be left to ponder how you could miss the grape @ 10 yd., but hit the vertically suspended rebar @ 50 and the horizontal chain at the same distance. (Don't ask how I know this!)

RU shooter
06-02-2017, 06:54 AM
Your correct maven. That grape was a tough one especially since it was the second target we shot at . Thought to myself good lord hope they ain't all this small ! Lol they did have a few thin hanging targets like the bar I believe they were in the 20-30 yd range think I hit one of the three . The last station was a total guess for me . 125 yd away at a 12x12 plate, it was windy and again hard to see as it was right up against a tree which made it look real similar in color to me especially that range and I'd never shot that load past 50 yds ever! I just held at the top of it and fired but no clang . Gonna try experimenting with some different tint of glasses maybe it will provide a little contrast in the sea of green foliage and shadows

Tim

54bore
06-02-2017, 07:45 AM
Target color is hard for many people. Different light conditions have a big effect.

I agree, Target color and light conditions make or break the 500 yard target i was recently shooting with my Hawken. Tan cardboard blended in the Mountain side and was nearly impossible for me to pick up through my peep. I ended up painting the 3X4 foot target Solid white, that made it stand out like a beacon in the old logging cut where i shoot this. I also shoot this Long Range target at first light before the sun gets me, when the sun comes up it is directly behind the target and in my face.

Maven
06-02-2017, 11:16 AM
Yep, Too often poor or changing light conditions make the difference between hitting or missing your target.

Flintlock1812
06-04-2017, 10:15 AM
I do enjoy the woods walk the most. The one in Oxford NY is Outstanding. The 20 shot woods walk with 5 people or more takes about 3 hours to complete.
What a blast!

wgr
06-04-2017, 08:40 PM
man woods walks are fun