PDA

View Full Version : Well, did you pet the bear?

Three44s
05-31-2017, 02:27 AM
I am still laughing about a couple of employees and their crossing paths with Mr. Bear!

My cell rang yesterday AM and it was a rather excited (Jose) calling to in form me about a black colored black bear running away from him.

Jim was driving towards the general area and as I got most of the particulars from Jose, Jim is now calling me so I switched calls and before he could speak, I briskly asked if he had petted the bear yet?

Momentarily my question took him by surprise but he recovered pretty quickly realizing I was not likely clairvoyant or something but likely had been just reached by Jose already. Interestingly the bear was pretty afraid of my cows and was like a ping pong ball running into group after group and bouncing off one gathering and changing course only to plow into yet another bunch.

The reaction of the cattle spoke volumes as well. It appeared that they were as entertained by the bear's attempts at avoiding them as he was afraid of them!

At one point the poor bear thought he'd made good on getting safe as he entered a brush line only to find it was stuffed with still more cattle. Backing out he beat a hasty run along the edge of the brush and after he passed still another cow sauntered out to see what all the mayhem was about.

The bear finally made it to safer travel and was gone.

I would guess that our cows are like us .... still laughing about that poor bear! Also with all the worries in this business these days and much of it dealing with apex predators, it is comforting to know that there is one mid-sized black bear that "does not do cattle" yet!

Three 44s

richhodg66
05-31-2017, 07:30 AM
I bet that was entertaining to watch. Cows seem to have more playfulness and curiosity that you'd think just looking at them from the road.

Three44s
05-31-2017, 03:42 PM
I bet that was entertaining to watch. Cows seem to have more playfulness and curiosity that you'd think just looking at them from the road.

You are so right! If you work with them for a while you learn pretty fast that they have a lot of personality but a lot of other animals have as well.

Another trait that cattle can have if they are fond of their "caretaker" is loyalty. Make no mistake, it exists.

A number of years ago, a British cattle raiser had just bought a new herd bull. The owner went out to check his "bosses" with his four wheeler and how the new bull was fairing.

As the owner approached, the new bull flew into a rage and attacked the cattleman. The man was knocked to the ground and the bull continued his rampage.

At once the cows gathered around the badly injured owner forming a protective ring of defense. The bull had no interest in letting him live and beat on those cows to the point where one of the cows died from internal injuries.

That's loyalty

Three44s

MaryB
05-31-2017, 11:08 PM
I only have experience with dairy cattle. Grandpa had some jokers in the bunch who would creep up behind you as you were getting the milking machine on another and stick their tongue down the back of your pants... and another who thought it was funny to fart in your face... without fail... I swear that cow snickered when it farted...

Three44s
05-31-2017, 11:13 PM
You know you are alive when you encounter cow flatualance!

The real deal!

I'd never heard of cattle pokin' fun at the "zone" however. Lol!

Best regards

Three44s

tommag
06-01-2017, 10:57 AM
Alpacas can show some pretty good loyalty, too. I had three of them and if I layed down, they would come running and stand watch until I got up.

FISH4BUGS
06-02-2017, 09:48 AM
A few nights ago my SO went out onto the back porch at about 2 a.m. to let the cat in. She came within 10 feet of a bear looking to take down the bird feeders.
She had a nice calm chat with the bear and told him/her it should go elsewhere to scrounge.
It walked away calmly. Nerves of steel that woman.
They are more afraid of you than you are of them.....unless you get between a mother and her cubs. Then all bets are off.

Three44s
06-02-2017, 10:21 AM
According to my wife's trail cams scattered around the ranch we have a sow and two yearling cubs out and about. Last year we had two sows with two cubs each.

Had a beef eating tom cougar last Sept. as well. Knocked down a 700 # bull and ate 20% of it and came back a week later to grab another beef animal. Some friends spooked it off before it struck.

Do not like cougars

Three 44s

smokeywolf
06-02-2017, 11:27 AM
I only have experience with dairy cattle. Grandpa had some jokers in the bunch who would creep up behind you as you were getting the milking machine on another and stick their tongue down the back of your pants... and another who thought it was funny to fart in your face... without fail... I swear that cow snickered when it farted...

Had many a mare break wind when I'd be picking their back hooves. Sometimes it seemed like they'd been saving it up for that.

Three44s
06-02-2017, 09:39 PM
Well, they say a horse breaks wind when they are happy ............ maybe they appreciate the attention?

Three44s