PDA

View Full Version : 16 gauge choke tube

nekshot
05-27-2017, 12:10 PM
Many years ago I bought this High Standard Flite King 16 ga pump shotgun. It has awesome wood and rib and a manual choke that is missing the inside. I figured it would be a good slug candidate if I ever hunted in a shotgun only area. I don't see see that happening and I would love to get the gun useable. I am thinking of turning a round object to snuggly fit into housing of current choke body and then bore it for a modified choke. Shooting lead shot and maybe occasional solid object thu the choke, do the more intelligent folk here have any advice to me? And please don't tell me not to do it because I'm gonna do it!

wv109323
05-27-2017, 05:33 PM
I don't understand what a manual choke is? Is it a Poly-choke or similar? I would expect what you are doing is OK.

nekshot
05-27-2017, 08:41 PM
yup,something like a poly choke.

richhodg66
05-27-2017, 09:58 PM
I fixing the poly choke an option? Seems like you still see those around commonly, though 16 gauge would be less common than 20 or 12.

I kind of like the adjustable chokes. A while back I bought a JC Higgins shotgun that was actually a High Standard and was the first gas operated auto I'm told. It has that big Cutts compensator thing on it and it works. Sort of makes you wonder why the threaded tubes caught on so much.

nekshot
05-29-2017, 08:30 AM
When I bought it I also thought I could find a choke but that 16 gauge deal is alot harder to find then I reckoned it would be. I really do like the 16 ga over all the others so I had motive to buy and fix the gun.

richhodg66
05-29-2017, 08:35 AM
I have only ever owned one 16 gauge, an Ithaca 37 Deer Slayer. Good enough but have never understood the affinity guys have for that gauge.

I would think surely there is a 16 gauge poly choke out there to be had, but I am curious, do they make choke tubes for 16s? If so, what does it take to retro fit a shotgun with them? Lots of gun smiths are set up to do it with 12s and 20s.

richhodg66
05-29-2017, 09:06 AM
Just to satisfy my curiosity, I looked. There aren't many 16s but this did turn up;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Poly-choke-Adjustable-Choke-Vented-Collar-NEW-16-gauge-braze-on-version-/282471639177?hash=item41c49f2889:g:c-8AAOSwHQ9WY8zg

nekshot
05-29-2017, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. A typical 16 ga is much lighter, smaller reciever than a 12 but really does deliver a payload IF you take time to learn its likes and dislikes. I do have a double 16 with screw in chokes and occasionally Browning Citura or whaterver they call them is found with 16 ga screw in chokes. I checked about threading the barrel but no tap available and I am not smart enough to use my lathe to thread it.

nekshot
05-29-2017, 02:48 PM
Thanks rich, they had my needed part and I bought it! So, I can get on with another project now that one is hopefully finished. Life is good!

richhodg66
05-29-2017, 08:03 PM
Glad it worked out. There's an almost cultish following of those High Standard Flite Kings, many declare they are the best pump shotguns ever made.

nekshot
05-30-2017, 07:29 AM
I never understood where the great love for these was coming from except mine has exceptional wood that is only found on special order guns. I personally favor the old win mod 12's as best handling and carry followed by the Ithaca 37 in my humble thought patterns. The HS is nice but kinda clunky compared to the slick action of the winny and ithaca's. I do have a ugly win 1300(?) Defender that I took apart and polished and that puppy is super slick now to operate, ugly yes but slick to use and looks like it has an attitude!