PDA

View Full Version : 30 carbine die set confusion

mdevlin53
05-27-2017, 12:05 PM
I bought a set of RCBS 30 carbine dies from a fellow here and i was getting ready to load some today and i am a bit confused.
the full length size die has no de-cap rod although the die is threaded for an insert.
the de-cap die also has the neck expander and case mouth flare in it.
I am not used to sizing before decaping.
Is this a normal setup or am i missing something.
The only other RCBS dies i have are for 22 hornet and that is a 2 die set so its different.
looked at the RCBS website and i do not see the same kind of expander decapper rod.
Help please
Michael

Outpost75
05-27-2017, 12:14 PM
That is an older set. On RCBS you should be able to look at the top of the die body and the year of manufacture should be stamped there. I expect your set dates from the 1980s unless they've gone back to making them that way.

My set from 1992 has a decapping rod with knurled pin retainer, but expander button in the carbide sizer, like a straight-wall pistol set, then a mouth expander die with short .3065" cylindrical section and a conical flaring shoulder above that, then a separate taper-crimp die.

You can get the decapping rod and pin retainer with threaded collar and lock nut separately to fit into your sizer. If you call RCBS they may even it to you for free, great customer service.

reddog81
05-27-2017, 01:18 PM
The older die sets have decapping pins on the bottom of the expander plugs. It's not really a problem unless your working on progressive liie the Hornady Lock N Load where the only option for removing the primer is the first station.

mdevlin53
05-28-2017, 11:10 AM
Well this morning i loaded up a small run to test a new boolit ( C-309-120R by Lee) and though it was odd to size before de-capping all worked out and the dies worked well. I load everything one at a time so there really was no issues. Now if the weather cooperates i will get to the range and see how they perform.
Thanks for the help
Michael

Scharfschuetze
05-28-2017, 03:03 PM
My RCBS 30 Carbine dies date to 1977 and they are as described by the OP. I've never used the decapper in the expander die as I prefer to decap as the first step in loading in an inexpensive press using a purpose made decapping die. That keeps much of the hard carbon debris from decapping out of my Dillon and RCBS presses.