PDA

View Full Version : Chambers .54cal. Isaac Haines accuracy issues: It's NOT the rifle

Maven
05-25-2017, 01:08 PM
My Waksupi-built Isaac Haines .54cal. flint lock rifle is a joy to shoot and ultra reliable, but sadly I haven't yet mastered it, i.e., the flintlock. I know it's more an issue of practice than component and load choice, but I've had a devil of a time trying to figure out which round ball diameter and patch thickness the gun really liked. After too many years of only so-so results, I think I've determined what shoots best. To wit, on Tuesday, I went to the range and bench rested two RB & patch combinations: a Lee Precision .535" RB + .014" pillow ticking patch v. a RCBS .530" - .531" RB + .018" pillow ticking patch, both cast (and weighed) by me and of "pure" Pb. The charge was 60gr. Diamondback FFg. All patches were lubed with 1 Ballistol : 6 H2O and were just shy of dripping wet. Below are the results (pdf images) of each combination @ 25 yd. bench rest. I should add that the .530" RB + .018" patch was a pleasure to start and seat whereas the larger ball - thinner patch was just the opposite. In short, I think I've finally found what the IH likes.

Btw, I had similar problems with my .50cal. Lyman Great Plains cap lock, but managed to overcome them enough to do quite well in the NMLRA postal matches several years ago.

dondiego
05-25-2017, 01:42 PM
Pretty good groups and accuracy there Maven! I would definitely use the easier to load recipe.

Maven
05-25-2017, 06:31 PM
don, when I first got the rifle I experimented with various ball diameters and different patch thicknesses with varied degrees of success (at 50 yd. no less). I actually telephoned R. Rice, who made the bbl. for the Chambers kit, who recommended a .018" patch with a .530" RB. He was right and I was stupid enough not to heed his advice.* That combination, btw, is very easy to start and load and would be my first choice for a woods walk and postal match competition.

*Waksupi, who built the rifle for me, thought there might be a slight obstruction in the bbl. and that it would require a ~.526" RB. Rick was partially right: I could roll a .535" RB gently down the bbl., but it stopped at the midpoint and then rolled back out. Hence the phone call to Rice. Btw, the .535" RB and thin .014" patch was a PITA to start and ram home. If I didn't have a plastic mallet handy (for the short starter) and a stout 3/8" steel range rod with me, I couldn't have loaded or seated that RB.

jtaylor1960
05-25-2017, 06:40 PM
What twist are you dealing with?

dondiego
05-26-2017, 10:12 AM
1 to 1 twist!

Toymaker
05-26-2017, 10:32 AM
Maven, by changing more than one component in your load column at the same time you're getting mixed results and can't tell which change improved or reduced your accuracy.

Maven
05-26-2017, 10:57 AM
Toymaker, I generally only change 1 thing at a time when trying to figure out what a gun, cartridge or ML'er, likes best. Past experience with the .535" RB and various thicker patches suggested that .014" thick (compressed) ones would be worth trying. They were, but the .530" - .531" RB + .018" patch grouped noticeably better. The point of my testing was to compare the 2, hoping I could eliminate the poorer performer for postal matches and woods walks. I think I succeeded.

Wayne Smith
05-26-2017, 12:22 PM
I agree, Maven, but let's see if it holds up at 75 or 100 yards. I would hope that they would.

waksupi
05-29-2017, 11:52 PM
Glad to see you're getting it tamed!

Maven
05-30-2017, 10:03 AM
Thanks, Ric. It sure took me long enough! I'll try it offhand on the silhouette postal match targets Ohio Joe/Candle Snufffer uses next. One thing is certain, my eyes are happiest with a thicker, Patridge type front sight on all my open sighted guns.