PDA

View Full Version : I'm try to think but I don't know what to do!

Bob Krack
07-19-2008, 11:00 PM
If this belongs elsewhere, please move it?

I am be in a slightly ticklish predicament.

A fellow member here (a site support donor), sent me a raffle stub. He had filled out and entered my name for a firearm and he was wonderful in intent. He even offered to buy it from me "when" I won.

Now if'n ya read between the lines - as of July 1, 2008, all firearms (even antiques, blackpowder, and C&R firearms) MUST be transferred by FFL dealer AND MUST be registered with the State of Kalifornia! Dept of Jackboots - er *******es - or jesters..... lemme see, oh - Kalifornia Department of Justice I think!

If'n ya acquire a firearm by any means, or are a new resident or visitor you must register your firearm(s) with DOJ within 30 days or face treatment that's probably worse than is being suffered by Charles Manson and company!

Any firearm I ever owned was procured before the gun control act of 1968(?) It's actually kinda coincidental that I own or possess absolutely no firearms of any kind at this point in time in the wunnerful state of Kalifornia.

The predicament: How do I refuse the raffle ticket and help him get it back into his name? (If I actually lived in another state, I would just love to have the firearm being raffled --- but not in this flea-bitten, God forsaken, bleeding-heart liberal ******* excuse for a state). Yes, I will being leaving this rat-hole state within the next 10 months but I'm stuck here for a while.

Help? all suggestions appreciated. Mostly about how to thank him and refuse the offer - tough to do since he already filled out the ticket with my name and address and entered it (in Ohio, I think), sending me the stub.

Vic

runfiverun
07-19-2008, 11:18 PM
if you "win" it you should be able to have it sent to any ffl you wish, to be picked up
by the recipient.
regardless of where payment goes.
i wouldn't think that a rifle that you have never taken posession of would have to be registered to you.

Scrounger
07-19-2008, 11:26 PM
I used to worry about how to spend the Lotto money after I won it... Of course I never did win it and all that worry was for nothing. Same with "your gun". The odds are strongly against you winning it so you're worrying for nothing. Now in case you do, whoever is doing the raffle will contact you so you can have a dealer receive it for you. They will have to wade through all that prune-picker red tape, not you, although you will have to pay the dealer and state fees. If you want to avoid all that, you can donate the gun to someone here, or to the site for an auction, and simply tell the people about it and let the actual recipient arrange shipment. Doesn't sound like too much of a problem to me.

Gibbs 505
07-20-2008, 12:33 AM
^^^ I agree^^^

Worry about it when you win!

762cavalier
07-20-2008, 02:29 PM
as of July 1, 2008, all firearms (even antiques, blackpowder, and C&R firearms) MUST be transferred by FFL dealer AND MUST be registered with the State of Kalifornia!

The above statement is not true. as of July 1st and out of state DEALER (01 ffl holder only) has to get on the doj list (takes about 5 minutes on the computer) to get an approval number that the FFL 01 he is sending it to is legit. that is all. LONG GUNS are not registered. BLACK powder muzzleloaders can still be sent to your door without an FFL an an individual from out of state selling to a CA resident just needs to ship to a CA ffl no approval letter is necessary. C&R holders are also exempt from the new july law.

There is no issue with you taking possession of the gun IF you win it.

If you are in CA check out Calguns.net to help you out with firearms questions.
and to those not in CA, yes the gunlaws suck here, but there are those who choose to stay and fight behind enemy lines to keep the crap from spreading instead of running away. A lot of what starts here spreads. like it or not.

crabo
07-20-2008, 02:36 PM
I could be wrong, but I think the issue here is that the original poster does not want to have any gun, that is registered, or any type of gun registration connected to him in any way.

Am I right, VI?

C rabo

copdills
07-20-2008, 03:18 PM
:holysheep

Bob Krack
07-20-2008, 07:27 PM
I could be wrong, but I think the issue here is that the original poster does not want to have any gun, that is registered, or any type of gun registration connected to him in any way.
Am I right, VI?
C rabo

Nearly correct, Crabo...

As long as I reside in Kalifornia, I have absolutely no intention of owning or possessing a firearm.

In an emergency, I know how to get ahold of one in seconds notice, but it is not mine and is not in my possession (course, if it is a life or death emergency, I guess I WILL be in possession, huh?). Gendarmes come searching to confiscate, the will not find one - nor do they have a documented reason to come looking for one.

Not paranoid, read Mel Tappan, Kurt Saxon, Jerry Pournelle, David Niven to name a few...... Maybe even take a look at a few episodes of "Jericho". I do not think anyone of sound mind can reasonably claim that any of the senario described by any of the above named authors is impossible - nor even seriously unlikely. I am of the opinion that even some of the traditional LEOs are of the same opinion

In any event, when I leave Kalifornia, I will be willing to own and possess firearms under another states statutes.

Thanks,
Vic

Edit:I am NOT legally prohibited from owning or possessing firearms.

Bob Krack
07-20-2008, 07:42 PM
The above statement is not true. as of July 1st and out of state DEALER (01 ffl holder only) has to get on the doj list (takes about 5 minutes on the computer) to get an approval number that the FFL 01 he is sending it to is legit. that is all. LONG GUNS are not registered. BLACK powder muzzleloaders can still be sent to your door without an FFL an an individual from out of state selling to a CA resident just needs to ship to a CA ffl no approval letter is necessary. C&R holders are also exempt from the new july law.

There is no issue with you taking possession of the gun IF you win it.

If you are in CA check out Calguns.net to help you out with firearms questions.
and to those not in CA, yes the gunlaws suck here, but there are those who choose to stay and fight behind enemy lines to keep the crap from spreading instead of running away. A lot of what starts here spreads. like it or not.

I think you are mistaken, but I will re-examine my authorities and post exact statutes (if I am not mistaken).

No, firearms statutes are not what are making me leave Kalifornia....The entire socio-political structure of this state is the problem.

I buried a son, a wife, and my mother here and wanted to be buried here also -- but dag nab it not while I am still alive!

I fought the battle for over 45 years, voted every election, was active in political activities and supported most of the freedom supporting establishments.

I'm getting too old to fight that battle. I'll still fight the war, but not that battle!

I love the climate, lots of the people, most of the scenery. You will not get a argument going with me.

Thanks for the reason to re-examine my "facts?"

Vic

Scrounger
07-20-2008, 08:38 PM
I don't think you would have too much trouble finding someone here to receive it for you and keep it until you move out of state.

Bob Krack
07-31-2008, 12:09 PM
The above statement is not true. as of July 1st and out of state DEALER (01 ffl holder only) has to get on the doj list (takes about 5 minutes on the computer) to get an approval number that the FFL 01 he is sending it to is legit. that is all. LONG GUNS are not registered. BLACK powder muzzleloaders can still be sent to your door without an FFL an an individual from out of state selling to a CA resident just needs to ship to a CA ffl

It appears that I am wrong or at least unable to prove otherwise, so please accept my apology. Just my knee-jerk reaction to the handgun statutes?

Vic

Blammer
07-31-2008, 12:44 PM
After you win, then worry about what to do.

You can always refuse it flat out and they will pick another ticket.

Gibbs 505
09-07-2008, 11:37 PM
Did you win?