PDA

View Full Version : I've got a rant

Jumptrap
11-10-2005, 07:52 PM
What is it with this site.......everytime I load a page...it starts, then blinks and reloads again. Aggrevates the hell out of me. I mean really IRRITATES me. This server sucks! Now, before the hair flies......I'm not blaming anybody or ******** about our trusted servants who make all this possible...so lay off my fat ass. I just hate the server. GRRRRRRRR!

StarMetal
11-10-2005, 08:01 PM
Although Willy got the thing running fairly well again, there still is something that isn't right. I can't put my finger on it.

Joe

Gunload Master
11-10-2005, 09:08 PM
Server's been running fine, load times are between 3-5 seconds per page. Page creation time is around .14 second.

A major thing that can really screw up browsing websites is temporary internet files and spyware.
I would suggest clearing your temperary files "Tools - Internet Options - Delete Files".

For spyware, I would recommend Lavasoft Ad-aware:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
Go to the website, on the left hand side you will see "Ad-Aware Personal" then the Download Now, then keep following the steps. Run that and see if that helps. You might need to update your browser to the latest version, or try running a different browser. Internet Explorer is usually default. Some people prefer firefox:
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Beyond this, I really can't tell you much more information. It's been running fine for me, I've also optimized the load speed by reducing some image sizes.

I will add a little piece of code to the forum that will display the page creation time at the very bottom of each page so you can see that.

Oldfeller
11-10-2005, 09:14 PM
Three cheers for Firefox !!!

I can open multiple instances of my browser on the screen with multiple web sites up and functioning while cropping, balancing and fiddling with high pixel pictures, put them up on the web and manipulate my post window all at the same time without 1) crashing or 2) slowing down to a snail's pace.

Explorer sucks, do yourself a favor and get rid of it.

Oldfeller

Gunload Master
11-10-2005, 09:26 PM
I installed that piece of code I was talking about. The bottom of the forum you will see something that says "Page generated in ******" Tell me how fast your page was generated.
Mine was: Page generated in 0.11332703 seconds
.11 of a second is pretty good.

-EDIT-
Sorry had to take that code out, it was faulty, you won't be able to see the page generation time.
Thanks Porkchop.

StarMetal
11-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Kelly,

I've been running Fox and now I'm running it and Netscape. I quit Explorer a loooooooooooong time ago.

Joe

Jumptrap
11-10-2005, 09:53 PM
For starters:

I use Firefox..IE has been gone a long time.

I keep my machine housekeepig up to date.

The site doesn't crash, hang up or any of that.

Speed is no problem.

I said, when I load a page, it begins to load, then there's a quick blink and it loads again, then everything works well. There is no other website I visit that does this......NONE, as in zero. Therefore I must conclude the glitch is inherent here and only here. I have no idea whatsover causes this. When I go to log into Yahoo......if I don't hesitate and let all the godaamnable graphics load, as I begin typing in my password the curser will jump back to where I started before I can complete the login. Solution? Sit there like a damned idiot while the all that glitzy graphic trash loads that some phucking moron decided they just had to have to make the page eye catching.

Of course, the excuse can be used that I don't have the very latest, fastest, hyper machine on the market connected to DSL and it's all my fault. Whatever.

Gunload Master
11-10-2005, 10:01 PM
Does this happen on every page here? Say, once you first come here, it happens, then you click a link and it happens, click another link and it happens. Or is it just the first page when you get here?

Gunload Master
11-10-2005, 10:02 PM
P.S.
This might throw you off a bit. But try coming to this site by way of this link:
http://www.gunloads.com/castboolits/
(You will have to log in again)

Gunload Master
11-10-2005, 10:05 PM
When I go to log into Yahoo......if I don't hesitate and let all the godaamnable graphics load, as I begin typing in my password the curser will jump back to where I started before I can complete the login. Solution?

Some times with that, you can hit the STOP button to stop loading all that fancy stuff.

SharpsShooter
11-10-2005, 10:31 PM
Jump,

Check your browser options and make sure it is checking for a new page "each time" and not when needed. Your browser is loading the first page from temp files and then realising there is a newer version, resulting in a second load. FWIW.

RugerFan
11-10-2005, 10:53 PM
I've read with curiosity about the problems some have been having with this forum. Fortunately, I have had nothing but good luck here. I've logged on through several different computers with DSL, cable, wireless and dial up ISPs in two different states at home, at work, and lately from a hotel room. Other than when the server was down altogether, I haven't had any problems maneuvering through this forum. Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself. My hat is off to Gunload Master. Conversing here has been a pleasurable experience for me.

Herb in Pa
11-10-2005, 11:19 PM
I've experienced no problems whatsoever and I'm still running the dreaded IE with a DSL hookup.

fiberoptik
11-11-2005, 12:28 AM
I blew off Explorer a long time ago. I used Maxthon http://www.maxthon.com/ 1st, and then when FireFox came out, added that one also. I use both. No mo popups. :bigsmyl2:

bravokilo
11-11-2005, 12:33 AM
Mine has been doing the exact same thing. I am also running Firefox. I think SharpsShooter might have the answer. I just have to remember where to go to change the settings!!

BK

Jumptrap
11-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Mine has been doing the exact same thing. I am also running Firefox. I think SharpsShooter might have the answer. I just have to remember where to go to change the settings!!

BK

AH! This sounds very plausible......now if brother Sharpshooter will just tell us how/where to rectify this problem, everything may get fixed. HOWEVER, as I said before, it only happens here. I went to options under tools and didn't see anything that said to not look for the latest page version or whatever.

StarMetal
11-11-2005, 02:33 PM
Jump

I think that options sharpshooter is speaking of is in Explorer only, in fact I know it is, there's no option for it in Netscape or Firefox that I'm aware of, probably don't need it there. If you want the latest page then you click the recycle button on the menu bar at the top of Firefox or Netscape.

Joe