PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to save a post without having to save the whole thread?

rockydoc
05-19-2017, 09:36 PM
Sometimes one post within a thread is a nugget of clarity and wisdom that I would like to save to come back to as a reference without having to wade through the whole thread to find it. Is this possible? How do you do it?

OS OK
05-19-2017, 10:05 PM
Copy and paste into a word processor. Title and save it on your drive.

Or copy/paste into a PM to yourself.

No_1
05-19-2017, 11:49 PM
Use the options in the "Thread Tools" drop down. You can print the page or email it to yourself. My preferred method has been said - open word then copy to it.

rockydoc
05-20-2017, 12:56 PM
Thanks, guys. I think I can handle that.
Rocky

1_Ogre
05-22-2017, 09:06 AM
I use the copy/paste function, then save it into Word, easiest way I've found so far

GhostHawk
05-22-2017, 10:26 PM
I keep a whole series of *.rtf documents, one for each caliber I reload for.

Articles found here with relievent information get copied/pasted in. Along with my load notes, when I loaded, how many, and how well it performed. Easy enough to keep a folder with them all there.

The really good stuff has been printed and put into a 3 ring binder. So I have it even if I do not have power. Backup and backup your backup.

I have found quite a few little tips and tricks over the last 3 years that have made a big difference for me.

FYI there are times when it is easier to use mouse to select, Control C to copy, control V to paste.

Old dos commands.

HATCH
06-15-2017, 07:01 PM
Another way to save a post electronically is this.
Every post on a thread has a number. The one above this one is #6
Most browsers (I am using Chrome) will allow you to right click on the number.
It gives you different options - Open in new tab, Open in new window, Save link as, and Copy Link.
If you open it in a new tab then you can bookmark that tab. This was you can go straight back to that single post
The link will look like this

h*tp://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?335020-Is-there-a-way-to-save-a-post-without-having-to-save-the-whole-thread&p=4053789&viewfull=1#post4053789

Keep in mind I put a * in place of one of the HTTP

NavyVet1959
06-15-2017, 07:42 PM
Another way to save a post electronically is this.
Every post on a thread has a number. The one above this one is #6
Most browsers (I am using Chrome) will allow you to right click on the number.
It gives you different options - Open in new tab, Open in new window, Save link as, and Copy Link.
If you open it in a new tab then you can bookmark that tab. This was you can go straight back to that single post
The link will look like this

Keep in mind I put a * in place of one of the HTTP

One problem with that is that it only saves a post as long as the forum's database still has the post, plus, if the post gets changed (by the author or a censor), you don't necessarily have the original post. If you *really* want to save a post, you need to save it locally on your PC so that you have copy of it as it existed at that time. This has the advantage of allowing you to view it even when you do not have internet connectivity (ISP problems, forum down for maintenance, etc).

There's a few threads that I would have liked to have saved, but they disappeared after the last forum cleanup.

HATCH
06-15-2017, 07:44 PM
Very true. But there hasn't been a cleanup in a reloading/casting section and will not happen.
But on the other hand the board itself could change or post be moved around to new sections and that will kill a bookmark