PDA

View Full Version : Help with die setup for cast boolits

Krp68
05-17-2017, 09:39 PM
Hello everyone,
I've been reloading for several years but I'm new to casting. I cast my first boolits (Lee 356 120 tc for 9mm) and worked up a load using WSF powder. I'm also powder coating using the dry tumble method. I am sizing to .357. I was very happy with accuracy. 5 shot groups at 15 yds was 1.4".

My problem is that I have tried to set up my dies every way that I can think of but am still swaging my boolits down to .355 to .356. I am using Lee dies and the Lee universal case expanding die to flare the case just enough to seat the boolit.

If I try just using the seating and crimp die, leaving out the Lee fcd, the rounds won't chamber.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips? If I'm powder coating and getting good accuracy, does it even matter if I'm swaging the boolits a little?

Thanks for any feedback.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Yodogsandman
05-17-2017, 10:25 PM
No experience with the Lee dies but, you could try honing out the FCD.

kungfustyle
05-17-2017, 10:26 PM
Hello Krp68,
Welcome to the forum. Field strip the gun down to the barrel and use that to test the rounds. They should plop in. Next separate the seating and crimping. I bet you are using range pick up brass and they are a different col. Separating out the seating and crimping will get you the correct col and then test the bullets using the plop test. You will probably have waves of rounds that fit flush and rounds that stick out. Set the stick outs aside till you get finished and then go back and increase the crimp till they Plop. Works like a charm.

kungfustyle
05-17-2017, 10:27 PM
PS 86 the factory crimp die for cast pistol. For the rifle they work great but they will sewage down the bullets for a pistol.

Krp68
05-17-2017, 10:38 PM
Yes, I'm using range pick up brass. I am using just the barrel to test the rounds but have been trying to seat and crimp at the same time.

I'll separate seating and crimping and see how that works. Thanks very much for the replies.

Krp68
05-17-2017, 10:39 PM
Oh, and thanks for the welcome. I've learned a ton lurking on the forum.

tazman
05-17-2017, 10:50 PM
I had feeding issues like yours until I started crimping as a separate step. I use the FCD to crimp the case since it is so easy to adjust but my FCD doesn't swage down the boolits inside the case.
I suspect you may have a tight chamber so the FCD might be a necessity for you.
Since you are getting good accuracy and no leading, I wouldn't worry about the sizing issue. If it ain't broke, don't mess it up. 1.4 inches at 15 yards is good shooting.

bstone5
05-18-2017, 12:47 AM
With cast it is best to seat and as a separate operation crimp. It is easy to crimp too much and the powder coat will be damaged with too much of a crimp. As stated earlier use the barrel and do the plunk test with the loaded round. I use an empty case with out a primer to set up the seating and crimp. Once a working configuration is developed than this dummy round can be
used to set the seating and crimp the next time you reload with the same cast bullet.
The 357 SIG is a hard not to over crimp with the FCD, a dummy round is very helpful in setting up the dies.

Krp68
05-18-2017, 01:22 AM
I am using a turret press. So, I am thinking it would be best to use two seating/crimp dies instead of the lee fcd? One to seat and one to crimp?

tazman
05-18-2017, 09:25 AM
I would get a good, dedicated taper crimp die for the fourth station. Not a seater/crimper. That should work fine.

JeffG
05-18-2017, 10:13 AM
I personally went the route of Lyman M die for expansion and stopped using the FCD, opting instead to purchase a Lee Taper Crimp Die for the crimping. I'm now using a Hornady custom grade die that does the seating and taper crimp in one step, which has worked out well too. NOE makes custom M type expanders to go in Lee's Universal Expander, and they work great. If you are using .357 cast, you can try a .355/.359 expander button from them.

I am using a turret press. So, I am thinking it would be best to use two seating/crimp dies instead of the lee fcd? One to seat and one to crimp?

halvey
05-18-2017, 10:31 AM
I got way more consistent ammo when I crimp pistol in a separate step.

Soundguy
05-18-2017, 10:48 AM
if your pistol fcd has a carbide ring int he base, it is swaging your projectile.. stick with standard seat / taper crimp die, or drive the carbide ring out of your fcd if you want to multi step the seat / crimp.

Shiloh
05-18-2017, 11:01 AM
You will need a bigger diameter case expander. NOE or have someone turn you one.

Shiloh

reddog81
05-18-2017, 11:05 AM
The first step is to definitively identify why the rounds won't chamber. If the rounds won't chamber due to the excessive width you must either reduce the width of the bullet or the brass.

Is the hang up on the lip of the round due to not removing the flair, in the middle due to bullet bulge, or at the base due to not being sized enough. There can be a wide variety of reasons why a round won't chamber. A round can chamber at home when the gun is clean, but after shooting 100 rounds and getting a little dirty (or lead a bit of lead build up right outside the chamber) the same round might cause a problem.

If the accuracy is acceptable, which it sounds like it is, then i'm not sure it matters.

gwpercle
05-18-2017, 01:16 PM
The Lee Universal Case Expanding Die in truth is just a belling die, since you have one NOE makes inserts for them that truly expand the case much like a Lyman M-Die, not expensive and they work well.
I use Lee dies for sizing and seating but use a separate CH die to taper crimp with, the Lee FCD may be the culprite sizing down your boolit.
The 9 mm is a stinker to get set up....it gave me fits to get them to feed in 3 different pistols and I've been reloading a long time ( 49 years now) just keep at it.

If you are not getting any leading , are getting good accuracy and they feed reliably I don't see where you have a problem .

Welcome to the forum from Louisiana ! [smilie=s:
Gary

Krp68
05-18-2017, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to order the Lee taper crimp die. Also going to order the NOE expander for the Lee universal case expanding die.

Is this the one I should try if I'm sizing my boolits to .357?
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=89&products_id=1608

Thanks again everyone.

JeffG
05-18-2017, 08:20 PM
Yep, that should do it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to order the Lee taper crimp die. Also going to order the NOE expander for the Lee universal case expanding die.

Is this the one I should try if I'm sizing my boolits to .357?
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=89&products_id=1608

Thanks again everyone.

Krp68
05-18-2017, 10:44 PM
Thanks JeffG

kungfustyle
05-19-2017, 01:00 AM
I know trimming pistol brass is a PITA but you may want to look at the Lee quick trim for the 9mm and get all the brass the same col. That will save some headaches. Look at all the fun we get to have with "free" brass. If you do go that rout get the powder adapter and you'll go through 500 in a few hours. I've had to trim my free 45 ACP, 38 special and 357 brass. Best of luck.

Sakoluvr
05-19-2017, 09:17 AM
Hello everyone,
I've been reloading for several years but I'm new to casting. I cast my first boolits (Lee 356 120 tc for 9mm) and worked up a load using WSF powder. I'm also powder coating using the dry tumble method. I am sizing to .357. I was very happy with accuracy. 5 shot groups at 15 yds was 1.4".

My problem is that I have tried to set up my dies every way that I can think of but am still swaging my boolits down to .355 to .356. I am using Lee dies and the Lee universal case expanding die to flare the case just enough to seat the boolit.

If I try just using the seating and crimp die, leaving out the Lee fcd, the rounds won't chamber.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips? If I'm powder coating and getting good accuracy, does it even matter if I'm swaging the boolits a little?

Thanks for any feedback.

If you are swaging down your bullets when seating, and not wanting to do that, you can try a harder BHN. A neck expansion plug a couple of thousandths under bullet diameter will be helpful. Measure your neck diameter before seating and after to get a handle on neck tension.

Disclaimer: I only load for revolvers.